Standing water?

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
subzero
1GN Registrant

Standing water?

Post by subzero » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:10 pm

ok so i was taking out my harness that go from under that dash to the tail lights and i pulled out the spare tire and the caperting in the trunk and in the spare tire well. well it was like a well cause it had like 2-3 inches of water in it and also the water was lightly in the back behind the driver seat but the carpet wasnt damp for the carpet behind the seat unless u pull it up. but my question is why is there that much fucking water in my car

moparmannamrapom
1GN Registrant

Post by moparmannamrapom » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:37 pm

check the seal on your taillights

subzero
1GN Registrant

Post by subzero » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:39 pm

moparmannamrapom wrote:check the seal on your taillights
what am i looking for? when i last checked which was a couple days ago they were fine...and we havent had any rain recently

JmAnneonrt
1GN Registrant

Post by JmAnneonrt » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:07 pm

ive had water in my trunk along with a nice puddle behind the passenger seat and i replaced the tail light gaskets and havnt had a problem yet.

NCNeon
1GN Registrant

Post by NCNeon » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:03 am

i did that and still leaked a lil water so i just drilled a small hole under the spare, no more water
99 SOHC Highline: MTX Swap, 3.0L CAI, Muffler, PS AC Delete, Neongoodies Semi-solid Adjustable Bobble Strut, Booger Shift Booshings, Motor Mount Inserts

JmAnneonrt
1GN Registrant

Post by JmAnneonrt » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:05 am

yah plus i did that to lol

NCNeon
1GN Registrant

Post by NCNeon » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:07 am

glad im not the only one haha
99 SOHC Highline: MTX Swap, 3.0L CAI, Muffler, PS AC Delete, Neongoodies Semi-solid Adjustable Bobble Strut, Booger Shift Booshings, Motor Mount Inserts

jamieely
1GN Registrant

Post by jamieely » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:08 am

It is almost always the tail light gaskets not sealing properly after so many years. There are some very quality tail light gaskets on ebay and I am told they are made by an enthusiast from the org but I don't know who or if its true. DMT I think is the seller.

I have read a few cases where there was a slight defect in metal work around the passenger rear tail that allowed water in through there. Crawl in your trunk with a flashlight and have some run a water hose all around the back of your car to find it. Thats how I found my leak.
1995 Highline Coupe SOHC MTX.
DOHC Mopar PCM
e85, 30lb injectors, LM-1, SAFC
Custom CAI, 60mm MPx TB, AMM Box Intake, DOHC pistons, built4race UDP
PT Clutch, 3.94 FD
AF/X LTH, High Flow Cat, Spiral Flow, 2.5" piping, Flowmaster 80 series

P&P Magnum head, Crane springs, Crane 007, AEM 3-bolt cam gear almost ready to bolt on

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:44 am

I used the new Mopar ones a while back, but now I'm a cheap ass.

When you pull your lights out, you will be able to see where the water has been flowing by looking at the dirt pattern on the gaskets. As long as they are not ripped and still held on the lens good, you can just run a bead of RTV or that clear silicone to reseal them. Go a little thicker around the top and they will be fine.

The foam in the gaskets compresses over time and looses it's seal against the trunk panel. B/c when you have it apart tolook at it, all the water that flows off the back window and down into the gap around the deck lid will flow over the gasket area. You can't see this with the black filler piece that's molded with the taillight.
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:59 am

well that explains it, i went and replaced the seal around the trunk then the tails. seals now, drilled a little pet-cock in the tire well to let the water out.
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!