whats wrong?

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons? just anything that is generally "engine" specific.
NeonsRule24
1GN Registrant

whats wrong?

Post by NeonsRule24 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:20 pm

alright so i bought this 99 neon coupe dohc auto last night and drove it home from almost alliston to barrie on all back roads lots of hills the car took it like a champ in the snow. i dont have insurance on it or cert so its sitting in my driveway. i got home from work today about 5:30 and started it up and it it wouldnt start at first then kicked around and started but it shook like crazy my hole car and me in the driverseat shoot from the vibration, so i shut it down and tried again. same thing so i gave it a lil gas this time and ir chugged a bit the almost stalled then rpms went up and back to 1000 and idled mint. i chelked the coolant and hmmm empty but no puddles anywhere.

is maybe my water pump gone?
1999 2 door Dodge Neon - daily driver
1983 ford thunderbird turbo coupe - project

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:18 am

possibly. Did you fill the coolant and try it again?
If your water pump burnt out, it could be froze up and your timing belt is having a hard time turning it.
boostless_98 wrote:I want to hear wat everyone has to say on the idea of right hand drive neon conversion. I know it can be gotten from australia.
Ianguilly wrote:Just drive from the passenger side.

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:06 pm

If the water pump ever locks up, the timing belt is the first thing to get shredded, so doubt that. The usual thing when there is no coolant present but no signs of leakage is the head gasket. The hard time it had starting could be some of the remaining coolant entering a cylinder or two before being cleared out with each revolution.
Any smoke?
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

NeonsRule24
1GN Registrant

Post by NeonsRule24 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:16 pm

found my problem. the previous owner did the t-stat and didnt put it in straight so the gasket is cracked. there were no puddles but there was some coolant on the oil pan. the not starting right is i think my cyl #4 wire its rubbed through to the wire
1999 2 door Dodge Neon - daily driver
1983 ford thunderbird turbo coupe - project

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:22 am

metal_gear_jon wrote:If the water pump ever locks up, the timing belt is the first thing to get shredded, so doubt that.
Actually, when my water pump went out, My belt was still able to turn it. No shredding of the belt, lots of strain on it though I'm sure. When i took the pump off, you could not turn it by hand though.
boostless_98 wrote:I want to hear wat everyone has to say on the idea of right hand drive neon conversion. I know it can be gotten from australia.

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:23 pm

^ I'd say you were lucky then.

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:43 pm

I guess lol

liquidhat
1GN Registrant

Post by liquidhat » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:56 am

may i suggest at anytime a water pump is replaced, that the timing belt be replaced too and any other associated components, tensioner, tensioner actuator, etc.

personal experience led me to swap my 95 head on early due to valve contact with pistons after belt snapped same day as pump was replaced.
1998 1GN 4 Door 1 Cam 31TH ATX (R.I.P. Green Bastard)
1999 1GN 2 Door 2 Cam G562 MTX

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:52 am

Definitely. ^
I replaced mine when my water pump went. I replaced the pulleys too.. Not I didn't replace the tensioner.. *knocks on wood*