2nd gen motor swap into a 1gn

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
nuklhed074
1GN Registrant

2nd gen motor swap into a 1gn

Post by nuklhed074 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:03 pm

Ok so my motor spun a rod bearing a ruined the crank. So i ran across a supposed 2001 r/t motor with 12k on it for $100 cause i have known the guy for awhile. Well it ended up it had been hydro locked and bend a rod and tweaked another. So i put 2 of my rods and pistons from my 95 that had 300k on it and used the 12k rings and new rod bearings. What im getting at is how can i tell if its a true r/t? i used my 95 aluminum intake and exhaust manifold because the motor did not come with them. I have it all in and it runs great. Just curious if its a true r/t. I know the 95 is supposed to have a more aggressive cam other than the 01 and 02 magnum and it feels alot more powerful but my old motor did have 300k. pics below from my facebook where i did it all. It does have factor egr delete not sure if that matters and also had flat pistons whereas my 95 had a tad bit of dish to em.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... =680197441
My sohc runs good mid 15s should i do dohc?

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:51 pm

uhm epic fail on the reusing mixed parts. and it works ok? im not so sure how to tell if its a true r/t, mostly cause unless its a magnum, all sohc motors are the same. the r/t was a suspension package far as i remember. thats the way mine is.
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:24 pm

You're seriously re-using rings? On a turbo engine? I'm sure we'll see another "I blew up my engine" thread soon. But anyway...

Look at the exhaust ports. Compared to the regular SOHC they should be much larger. Also, the SOHC magnum heads had "R/T" stamped on them behind the water outlet.

Not my pic, stolen from the web.

Also, Magnum engines had different rods that were much stronger than earlier 2.0l con rods. If you don't believe me I'll look it up if I have time, but Mike Volkman (google for Mike V.) posted up lots of good info on the subject on neons.org.

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

nuklhed074
1GN Registrant

Post by nuklhed074 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:36 pm

not a turbo motor its a n/a daily and yes i had to reuse rings and there is nothing wrong with reusing good rings

nuklhed074
1GN Registrant

Post by nuklhed074 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:53 pm

the rings that went in were the same that came out of it they match the block.... its not an r/t so ill probably swap my 95 cam into it

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:35 pm

once you take rings out of a block, they never reseat the same. you'll just be reringing it in a year or less. just while its down buy some. they are cheap and you'll have it torn down already.
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!

nuklhed074
1GN Registrant

Post by nuklhed074 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:02 am

i would have loved to trust me and i know how it goes i do it for a living but when you got 50 bucks to your name... ahead gasket is more important