Ebay header

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
Lovinlyfe4DUB
1GN Registrant

Ebay header

Post by Lovinlyfe4DUB » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:42 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE-NE ... 352wt_1504

I was wondering if anyone has used these headers?If so what did you notice through the powerband.Also how much HP can i expect to gain with a typical header setup on a SOHC?

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:36 am

i doubt you will gain much if anything from that.
i would go with a long tube personally.
try www.modernperformance.com they have good coilovers and a decent header. reasonably priced and its always nice to help out fellow neon enthusiast. could always find a good used header too.
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

Lovinlyfe4DUB
1GN Registrant

Post by Lovinlyfe4DUB » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:38 am

The thing that had me thinking of going cheap is they are the same shape and design as megan headers I seen on ebay for $150.How much power do you think im looking at gaining?

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:48 am

not enough. i have a header from pacesetter, never used, and the paper says it was only like a 10 or 15 gain in hp.
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!

BIGRAM
1GN Registrant

Post by BIGRAM » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:58 pm

The real power from the header will come when you get a cai,tb,pnp head,n bigger cam. Its about balance, can't just slap a couple things on n expect big #s.

Lovinlyfe4DUB
1GN Registrant

Post by Lovinlyfe4DUB » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:36 pm

Yes I completely understand how supporting mods work.I used to have a 95 dohc sport.I havent moded a I4 in a min.And its been I while since I have been with neons.Can someone estimate how much power they think a header would add on a relatively stock motor.

I just recently got the car (freebie)Only thing ive done engine wise so far is a 3.0 intake,cut the muffler(removed the 90 deg bend in the back on the pipe,half shaft,walbro 255,egr delete,and then I should have the 2.4 lifters and 2.7 rockers in before the header gets here.I have done a list full of things to the car thus far but thats all im at engine wise.

I went with the ebay header BTW.

After that I plan to tackle the intake manifold.But im not that far into research yet.On my DOHC I cut the 90 bend in the manifold,ported and polisted the mani,then put a 60 mm 4.0L jeep throttle body on it.

The DOHC intake manifolds wouldnt happen to bolt onto the SOHC head would they?

Im moving really fast with this project and havent had the time to do the reaserch .Neons really are slowly starting to come back to me though.
Cars:99 SOHC ,95 540i,94 Camaro RS

BIGRAM
1GN Registrant

Post by BIGRAM » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:52 am

So you have a sohc? I really wasn't aware that the pt valve train fit the sohc hmmm. My buddy put the dohc intake on his sohc something about modifying the water neck though(I think you have to cut off the dohc water neck section). Oh as far as header power maybe 5. do you have the 95 cam? Might help with a mp ecu n a udp.

Lovinlyfe4DUB
1GN Registrant

Post by Lovinlyfe4DUB » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:48 pm

BIGRAM wrote:So you have a sohc? I really wasn't aware that the pt valve train fit the sohc hmmm. My buddy put the dohc intake on his sohc something about modifying the water neck though(I think you have to cut off the dohc water neck section). Oh as far as header power maybe 5. do you have the 95 cam? Might help with a mp ecu n a udp.
I do have a sohc.Its a good thing I asked or id have some useless pt stuff lying around.Thanks for informing me man.Ive been working on this car non stop for two weeks now.Thats when I decided I wanted it to be something more than my good gas car.Cuz my V8 bimmer gulps the stuff down.$20 in that will go as far as $4-5 in the neon.

If your friend made the intake manifold fit then I will go that route.With the no 90 bend bigger tb and port and polish..And no I dont have the 95 cam.That car is long gone.I was thinking of the 95 cam for this one later down the road.But will most likely look into something more aggressive.

My power steering pump seized.So I pulled the ac and the pump.So im only running to the alternator.So im not gonna need an udp.

But I will definently look into a mopar performance pcm.Do you know if they will work with an auto trans and a 5 speed with the same unit?Because this thing needs more than 3 gears.A stick is a must.I really miss it from my dohc sport.But yet agian the swap will be down the road.

Would you reccomend anything else?Im going back to automotive technition school in little over a month.Which is why im rushing to make this thing respectable.Itll be nice to show up with 3 modded cars.Ill get some pictures up.Its still relatively new with only 53k miles on it and a 99. CHeers

BIGRAM
1GN Registrant

Post by BIGRAM » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:28 pm

The 95 sohc cam is what I was talking about(its "hotter"then yours) and I guess its good for like 3hp. The udp WILL help and even the cheapo ebay one WILL work. That intake sounds great if you figure out how to make it work or if I get ahold of the guy ill try to remember to ask how. The dohc block/piston swap also helps if you want to go that far, I guess it raises compression to 10.3:1 then you can take a shim out of the gasket to raise it alil higher.

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:07 pm

If you do want to make more power on the cheap with your car, find a junked DOHC manual car and steal the drivetrain for yours. If you like the SOHC that's fine, but if you want the best power/performance per dollar, swap in a DOHC 2.0 or 2.4.

That being said, the DOHC intake manifold needs to be re-drilled to bolt up to the head, and the intake ports on the head need to be reshaped/opened up to the DOHC size/shape iirc. It's been a while since I had any SOHC parts left.

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

Lovinlyfe4DUB
1GN Registrant

Post by Lovinlyfe4DUB » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:07 pm

BIGRAM wrote:The 95 sohc cam is what I was talking about(its "hotter"then yours) and I guess its good for like 3hp. .
Yeah im aware of that I was thinking more aggressive than that.

Whats the compression of the sohc?If I do swap the pistons do you guys reccomend removing the balance shafts?I never would do it to any other car but only the neon guys LOL.

I got my cheapo ebay coilovers today I wish I didnt oreder them before asking.The lenght of the spring is no were near stock.

Thanks for all the help fellas I really appreciate it.Like I said pics soon.Its kinda late.

BIGRAM
1GN Registrant

Post by BIGRAM » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:47 am

Stock is like 9.6:1 I believe n I'm pretty sure that the 2.0 don't have balancing shaft only 2.4. Also pretty sure its not as hard to make the intake work(now I'm goin to have to talk to the guy,he's roadracer380 on the org). You could also find a magnum head,cam n intake. Yeah I really haven't messed with the sohc personally(all my neons were dohc)but I do like to see what does what with neons and a couple friends have/do play with em.

BIGRAM
1GN Registrant

Post by BIGRAM » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:18 pm

Hey I talked to him n he said he did a write up on it(the doch intake on a sohc) just search his name (roadracer380) n look a posts a couple years back.

Rice_Eater
1GN Registrant

Post by Rice_Eater » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:26 pm

comp of a 1st gen sohc is

stock 9.8:1
with dohc pistons 10.3:1 (what mine is)
with dohc pistons and gasket shimed 10.8:1(what mine will be)

im one of the guys bigram knows that owns and messes with the sohc. the intake deal is u have to drill it for a single and cut the water neck off and have a plate made to tilt the sohc water neck to the side. its not really worth the effort tho. better off geting a aluminum sohc intake and p&ping that and what not. ask me if u need anything else ive know most of the tricks on a sohc. they r alot better then thes dohc guys think they r.
Definition of Rice Eater
Requirements when you initially register!! Click Here

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:43 pm

Rice_Eater wrote: they r alot better then thes dohc guys think they r.
hellz yeah. my probe is a 12v sohc and it rocks out. sometimes i like driving it more then my r/t... sometimes.
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!