Spring swap

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power? Questions about 1st gen Neon suspension, steering and braking systems belong right here!
1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Spring swap

Post by 1genRTturbo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:27 pm

Ok so i've been looking for a bit but can't find my answer. Will srt springs fit in my 98 rt? i have a set of the stock 2nd gen srt springs and just wanted to put them in my car. so will they just bolt in?
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:35 pm

They will lift your car.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

Echoalpha23
1GN Registrant

Post by Echoalpha23 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:48 pm

true! it will fit but the second gen/srt sits something like 2 inches higher! so definitely 4x4 status!

why would you want to do this anywayz???

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:10 am

my springs collapsed and struts are blown. i dont have stock springs but do have the srt stockers. i've changed the fronts and yeah... definite 4x4 status.

wickedgoodneon
1GN Registrant

Post by wickedgoodneon » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:49 pm

The SRT strut perches are 3/4 higher than 2gn struts. So the SRT springs will make it higher, just not AS high as 2gn springs

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:13 pm

ok so i bought another set of sportlines again hoping it as just my old ones that were bad, and side by side they did seam to be in better shape, but once installed im having the same issue. coils are stacked on coils, and theres about 2 or 3 inches of movement. so my car still bottoms out really bad. what should i do? any ideas? im thinking of cutting a half coil from the srt springs. anyone done this yet? how'd it turn out?

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:48 pm

Sportlines are junk. Dont lower your car more than an inch and you will be ok. If you want to go lower, get a good set of coil-overs.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

Boostedpdx
1GN Registrant

Post by Boostedpdx » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:21 pm

Sportlines are not junk, what is junk is people thinking you can lower your car 1.75 and still keep the stock struts. GO BUY NEW STRUTS, and do not buy OEM replacements. Buy some for lowering. The bottoming out is the struts not the springs. lol

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:16 pm

ok well where do i get them? it aint like you can just go to autozone and get them. so ideas?

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:31 pm

Boostedpdx wrote:Sportlines are not junk, what is junk is people thinking you can lower your car 1.75 and still keep the stock struts. GO BUY NEW STRUTS, and do not buy OEM replacements. Buy some for lowering. The bottoming out is the struts not the springs. lol
Ill say it again. Sportlines are junk. It doesnt matter what srtuts you use with them, because you cant get struts for a 1st gen with a shorter travel. If you've found some, let me know. Sportlines will even destroy a new set of Koni's.

Lowering the car that much really screws up the suspension geometry anyway. Keep those LCA's down or level.

Project Log