somthing when wrong this morning

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
cudahy
1GN Registrant

somthing when wrong this morning

Post by cudahy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:36 am

so on my way to school this mornig about one km up the road just crusing i hear a quick grind and the engin stalls so i pull over look at some stuff, i try to start the car it fires up with out any issues, put it in gear and let the clutch out to find it wont move just stalls out now the trans has been getting harder to shift over time so the tranny is pooched now my qustion is would anything have come trough the care a reuined my clutch? im asuming the case is broken as there was oil all over the ground. can any one think of what actully happend i dident have a chance to look at it on the side of the road it was dark but if its not rainign when i get home its coming out hopefullly the clutch will be ok because i cannot aford a new clutch

racer12306
Administrator

Post by racer12306 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:46 pm

diffpin
Please PM or email me if you see any issues with the site.

racer12306@2gn.org

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:02 pm

Clutch should be just fine. You'd need to have a pretty catastrophic failure to hurt the clutch with a diff pin breaking.

Get a new trans, install "diff saver" tabs, use good fluid and be on your way.

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

cudahy
1GN Registrant

Post by cudahy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:41 pm

Where can u get these diff pin tabs? Because I do not want to have to re and re it agen I was thinking of staking and red lock tight

racer12306
Administrator

Post by racer12306 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:55 pm

I believe you can still get them at the dealer.

More than likely when you take a look at your trans you will notice a good size hole in the side of it.

Taking apart one of these transmissions isn't for the faint of heart from what I hear.

racer12306@2gn.org

neon_freak
1GN Registrant

Post by neon_freak » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:58 pm

racer12306 wrote: Taking apart one of these transmissions isn't for the faint of heart from what I hear.
iv had a nightmare with 2 trannys now taking them apart and cant get them back together after trying for hours. Luckily chip is close to me and i take it there and 30 seconds later he says that was hard :lol:

As to the dif pins at the dealer, i just ordered a set. remember you need 2 brackets not 1 lol. they were like $3.10 each at my dealer but it might differ from dealer to dealer
95 strawberry coupe mtx sohc

pacesetter header/catback, sts, boogers, 3.0, atx tb, ported intake, mp ecu, solid bobble strut, magnecor wires

98 white rt coupe mtx 2.4

mopar ecu, egr kit. ur street pulley, mpx 60mm, iceman, msd wires/coil, solid mounts, ractive header, vibrant muffler

old 2.0-145.4hp@6161rpm, 134.5tq@5218rpm

cudahy
1GN Registrant

Post by cudahy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:38 am

ide like to get the diff pins but the dealer dosint have them in stock and cannot get them untill wends next week, so im going to stake it and red lock tight it in place i have a friend that did it and hasint had any issues and his has been in for over 2 years so im just going to do that i cant not have my car lol

racer12306
Administrator

Post by racer12306 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:43 am

I don't think you are quite understand what has happened.

The diff pin has slide out of it's hole. Since that has happened the odds are strongly against you that it took a chunk out of the case and that you will need a new transmission.

What this means is no more burnouts. People that don't spin their tires rarely have an issue the the diff pin moving.

racer12306@2gn.org

cudahy
1GN Registrant

Post by cudahy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:09 am

i understand what your saying,there is a big hole in the bottom of the case i picked up two spider gears on the side of the road, i have just picked up another trans and putting it in tmr, i wasint thinking i could just take it apart and put the diff pin back in the bang and grind i heard when it finaly let go explaned it all...that tranny is scrap, what im thinking of doing is staking and lock tighting the diff pin on the new tranny so that i have a less of a chance of this happing agen

charger440neon2.0l
1GN Registrant

Post by charger440neon2.0l » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:00 am

red lock-tite isn't going to do much since there are no threads for it to bond to. you could drill it and put another retainer pin in on the other side of the diff pin or you could weld the pin in. But waiting on the tabs is the safest, easiest, and least costly in the long run.