shift kit?

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
99_fly_by
1GN Registrant

shift kit?

Post by 99_fly_by » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:32 pm

i know howell makes a manual valve body for the 31TH ATX but i was wondering, is there/was there ever a shift kit?
Got Neon?
Vinny wrote: This forum does still serve as a neons.org alternative for times when people get sick of the politics over there and/or want to say piss/fuck/cunt like an adult should be able to.

jamieely
1GN Registrant

Post by jamieely » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:23 pm

http://halfahemi.com/fastatx/

Click on text at the top of screen, then click on DIY shift kit

I cannot be held responsible if you do this and your car won't shift out of first.
Last edited by jamieely on Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
1995 Highline Coupe SOHC MTX.
DOHC Mopar PCM
e85, 30lb injectors, LM-1, SAFC
Custom CAI, 60mm MPx TB, AMM Box Intake, DOHC pistons, built4race UDP
PT Clutch, 3.94 FD
AF/X LTH, High Flow Cat, Spiral Flow, 2.5" piping, Flowmaster 80 series

P&P Magnum head, Crane springs, Crane 007, AEM 3-bolt cam gear almost ready to bolt on

99_fly_by
1GN Registrant

Post by 99_fly_by » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:02 pm

ok............just did the kit listed above and now IT WONT SHIFT OUT OF FIRST! any ideas? please yall i need this car for work everyday
Got Neon?
Vinny wrote: This forum does still serve as a neons.org alternative for times when people get sick of the politics over there and/or want to say piss/fuck/cunt like an adult should be able to.

racer12306
Administrator

Post by racer12306 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:03 pm

Shit,

just,

got,

INTERESTING

:lol:

This is not the kind of stuff to do on a daily driver when you need it the next day. Try to undo it an hope like hell that it works.
Please PM or email me if you see any issues with the site.

racer12306@2gn.org

99_fly_by
1GN Registrant

Post by 99_fly_by » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:19 pm

So, me and my brother stripped the valve body back out and put the stock parts back in. Readjusted the line pressure CLOCKWISE 2.5 turns (the shift kit install called for 2.5 turns COUNTER-CLOCKWISE). Threw everything back together, dropped in some fluid and started it. Waited a little bit, checked the fluid, was low, added more till full.

We let it get fully warmed up and took it for a spin around the block. STILL DOESNT SHIFT!

My question is, am I overlooking something or was this a $1200+ F!@#ING mistake?
Got Neon?

JeffB#2
1GN Registrant

Post by JeffB#2 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:21 pm

racer12306 wrote:Shit,

just,

got,

INTERESTING

:lol:
think he did something wrong? :D
You know me

99_fly_by
1GN Registrant

Post by 99_fly_by » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:33 pm

I dont think I did something wrong. I followed the directions from that link to a T. I did everything it said and double checked every bolt and everything. Im just really at a loss. I dont understand why this would happen so abruptly. We have barely driven the car, maybe 3 times around the block (about 400 yards round trip). Can somebody PLEASE give us an idea?
Got Neon?

racer12306
Administrator

Post by racer12306 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:49 am

Obviously you did do something wrong or it would probably work.

This is why I don't mess with auto trans, there are somethings better left to professionals.
Please PM or email me if you see any issues with the site.

racer12306@2gn.org

99_fly_by
1GN Registrant

Post by 99_fly_by » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:50 am

So what did I do wrong then huh? The car moved 400 yards max with that "shift kit" installed. On brand new fluid and filter. Then we stripped everything back out and reinstalled it back to stock spec. Then refilled with new fluid and another filter. Im here trying to get some insight, theres no need for you ta kick somebody while they're down.

P.S. My brother is certified and has been doin this for 10 years. He said I didnt do a thing wrong. So what failed?
Got Neon?

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:46 pm

just swap it to a 5 speed. would have costed a lot less than 1200 bucks and if your brother is "certified" he can help you swap it.
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

charger440neon2.0l
1GN Registrant

Post by charger440neon2.0l » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:50 pm

the kick down has an auto adjust did you reset it to be sure it hadn't adjusted out and is now holding extra pressure on the kick down? You could also try popping the kick down off to be certain it is not creating the no shift. Next air test the trans with the valve body out. that way you can be certain if you may have blown out a seal internally in the trans. While you got the air out blowing a little through the cooler won't hurt it a bit and you will find if any dirt may have gotten in there and caused a low fluid pressure issue. lastly grab an valve body from the salvage yard and don't modify it and install it to see if it fixes it. If not swap to a 5-speed or cut your testicles off because you have no need for them now since all the chicks are going to think your gay driving around in first.

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:57 pm

I did that mod on my last Neon and it worked awesome. Had no issues with it at all... just wanted more umph so I swapped in an R/T tranny about 6 months later... ;)

99_fly_by
1GN Registrant

Post by 99_fly_by » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:25 pm

problem was fixed....turnsz out my transmission was on its way out anyways. previous owner didnt like to do matinence to her and the final drive gear ground itself out and clogges every imaginable passage way. picked up a trans from the jy and im back on the road
Got Neon?

Bzevey
1GN Registrant

Post by Bzevey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:10 pm

stop wasting money on an automatic.

/thread

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:30 pm

Bzevey wrote:stop wasting money on an automatic.

/thread
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: win.
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM