Vinny's Neon search thread - thanks!

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:53 pm

So this RT I talked about before is really for sale now, not actively, but its mine for the taking.

It's an unmolested RT coupe, 1-owner, 94k miles, NO options, has some sort of CD player and satellite radio, and a Viper alarm. Clean interior and trunk, brand new stock wheels, new tires, spare tire is fullsize on RT alloy. AC blows cold and the leather steering wheel has had a cover most of its life and looks pretty much brand new.

Flaws would include minor clear coat oxidation in a few places (most likely fixable), a small dent in the drivers quarter, a minor wrinkle in the drivers seat back bolster where it was repaired, small crack in dash near pass. airbag and a little bit of rust on the pass front strut tower.

Guy is asking $2600, should I offer him $2400-2500? I kinda wanted a 4-door and some options (at least cruise) but I need something new soon and this is the best I have found by far.

Opinions? Is anyone even reading this? lol
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

suave23
1GN Registrant

Post by suave23 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:07 pm

Lowball him $2000 while pointing out the flaws and mention the word cash. The worst he can do is say no or make a counter offer that you may like.

It definitely sounds like the best car by far that you've found for the price, and the goodies you have waiting for it would make it sweet. I say go for it and sell your '95, then if you don't like the R/T in a few months it'd be good trading material for something you'd like better.
2003 Cobra 10th Anniversary - CAI, MAF, Exhaust, Pulley, and tune

mahifish
1GN Registrant

Post by mahifish » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:37 pm

I agree except Id offer him $2200 if you think its worth it

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:23 pm

I don't think I'm gonna get it. I told Louie the middleman $2500 Yesterday if everything all checked out, before I drove it or posted here about it. Dude countered with $2600, but I'm sticking at $2500, and after talking to y'all I'm afraid that might be too much. It is a very clean car and has a lot of new parts.

Keep in mind this is only the second clean 1st gen I have found in almost three months of hardcore searching, they simply don't exist around here.

I'd rather have another SOHC sedan anyways.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:54 pm

Vinny wrote:I don't think I'm gonna get it. I told Louie the middleman $2500 Yesterday if everything all checked out, before I drove it or posted here about it. Dude countered with $2600, but I'm sticking at $2500, and after talking to y'all I'm afraid that might be too much. It is a very clean car and has a lot of new parts.

Keep in mind this is only the second clean 1st gen I have found in almost three months of hardcore searching, they simply don't exist around here.

I'd rather have another SOHC sedan anyways.
check your wtb post. I will know thursday sometme about a red sedan although it maybe a 95 but not entirely true.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:16 am

Dude won't take $2500, $2600 or nothing. I'll pass.

This is all through middleman though, middleman who I've been told is most likely trying to make money on the transaction.

This thread is about to turn into "what small car under $5000 should I buy?" real quick, with a big parts FS thread to go with it. I don't even know what else I would want, a Civic hatch or something I guess.

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:38 am

I have this 95 for sale, yes it's an auto, but I need it gone ( too many neons)

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/1338596086.html

I'll take 1300.

I know it's not what your really looking for in the age range and that it's an auto, but i have it priced cheap. And the a/c does work.
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:43 pm

^Pretty clean
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:21 pm

I've thought about buying an auto and swapping it, but I simply don't have the free time to be fucking with it.

Although I really don't want to spend much more then 1st gen money, I think I am now opening up my search to include Infiniti G20t and Civic hatch. There's just not any nice 1st gens around. :(

I'd take out a loan and get something nice but I'm about to spend $10k+ on dental work. I've neglected my body in the name of having a nice car for far too long.

suave23
1GN Registrant

Post by suave23 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:21 am

You should be able to find a clean EK ('96-'00) hatch for under $5k, or an EG ('92-'95) hatch for 1gn prices. I'd go with a Civic hatch over a 1gn honestly, there are a ton of them out there so finding a nice one at a good price should be easy. They're also super reliable, easy to work on, and when (if) you decide to do anything to it, the aftermarket is endless.

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:29 am

Only problem with Hondas is I know nothing about them. I don't know what problems they have, I don't know how to work on them (I found my EF rather difficult to work on) and from my own personal experience they aren't really that reliable. For the money I think I'd rather have a G20t over a EK, but then clean G20s aren't easy to find around here either.

I just can't imagine owning anything other than a 1st gen, nothing else really appeals to me without going up considerably in price. I also really do not want to pay over $2500 for a daily.

blah.

(sorry if I come off cranky, I've been sick and suffering from allergies)

suave23
1GN Registrant

Post by suave23 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:18 pm

I know what you mean, it's hard to find a nice unique car for a decent price that won't have problems.

I know it isn't what this thread is for, but have you had any bites on your AE86? If you could sell it maybe you could put a little bit more towards a nicer daily, then put the rest in the bank until you find a project car that you absolutely love. Money in the bank is an awesome thing to have, lol.

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:22 pm

^ x2
Sell the Corolla first, then find the car you want.
But IF you had time you could just get an auto car, poach old blue for the MTX and just drive the rolla while doing the swap.
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:27 pm

I have had NO bites on my AE86 heh, nothing at all. Lots of "if I had the money I'd buy it in a second" but it seems like anyone who actually has that kind of money has no interest. No one has told me I'm asking too much, I don't know what the deal is.

That's why I don't want to spend more that $2500, so I will still have money in the bank. I can spend up to $4k or so if I need to, and I have about $1k worth of 1st gen parts in my basement I could unload

I have contemplated doing a MTX swap, like I said earlier in this thread I have everything to do it aside from tranny, clutch, flywheel, ECU and a few other things, I have ALL the small stuff. Its just a matter of finding the time, between working full time again, gf in Indy, DJ gigs, and not really having any car-guy friends around here to lend a hand, it would be hard to pull off. I won't poach anything from the blue car, it's worth a few hundred bucks whole, not worth it.

And there is no way the Corolla can be used for daily transportation, not even close, if it could I probably wouldn't want to sell it so bad.

2nd gen Neons seem somewhat plentiful, but those cars just do nothing for me, and I would have to buy suspension and stuff for it (whatever I buy will be slammed immediately). I'm tempted to go get a loan on an SRT4 or GT Cruiser, but I REALLY don't want a car payment.

I'm starting to think I should just overpay this dude for that god damn R/T.

suave23
1GN Registrant

Post by suave23 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:26 pm

Try to cut out the middle man and talk to the owner of the R/T personally. If he seems cool you may be able to work out a better deal with him, if he's the douche the middle man has made him out to be then walk away.