AutoX/Road Racing with no P/S??!!

For discussion specific to Solo, RallyCross, track events and other forms of racing.
keeders08
1GN Registrant

AutoX/Road Racing with no P/S??!!

Post by keeders08 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:48 pm

AutoX/Road Racing with no P/S...? Anyone ever do it on the regular or atleast tried it? Is it hard? Easier possibly? too much effort? lol
Someone give me some feedback on this. :shock:
KEEDY/"KEEDERS"/"KUTTER"

::95 Sprt Coupe::

::04 Gray Neon SXT::

Doug95neon
1GN Registrant

Post by Doug95neon » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:42 pm

Not that much fun for auto-x. Remember there's lots of steering input involved and that includes hairpin turns/pivot cones where steering is SSSSsssoooooo nice to have. I threw a belt off on course once and it was kind of exciting. Like fighting a big fish on a little pole.

Road course may not be too bad though as the turns tend to be easier and you maintain more speed through it.

Proper deletion while keeping the p/s gear would involve routing the hoses back to each other. You may want to use more than "just enough for the job" as you still create heat in the system. Draining the fluid just ends up seizing the gear after a while.

Try some searching around I think some guys run a steering gear off of a shadow or something. The gear ratio is even shorter making it better than even the mopar performance.
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I HAVE to be right.

My Project thread: Here

keeders08
1GN Registrant

Post by keeders08 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:20 am

Doug95neon wrote:Not that much fun for auto-x. Remember there's lots of steering input involved and that includes hairpin turns/pivot cones where steering is SSSSsssoooooo nice to have. I threw a belt off on course once and it was kind of exciting. Like fighting a big fish on a little pole.

Road course may not be too bad though as the turns tend to be easier and you maintain more speed through it.

Proper deletion while keeping the p/s gear would involve routing the hoses back to each other. You may want to use more than "just enough for the job" as you still create heat in the system. Draining the fluid just ends up seizing the gear after a while.

Try some searching around I think some guys run a steering gear off of a shadow or something. The gear ratio is even shorter making it better than even the mopar performance.
VERY INFORMITIVE...Thanks alot dood! :D
KEEDY/"KEEDERS"/"KUTTER"

mtownneon
1GN Registrant

Post by mtownneon » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:11 am

Road racing with the power steering disconnected is not a big deal, the only thing you notice is more pronounced feedback through the steering wheel (not necassarily a bad thing).

As for autoXing, that's a different story; as has been said already, combine the lack of power assist with low speed quick manuvers and it's a real pain. I auto-Xed one of our ITA Neons last year with the power steering disconnected and did miserably and had no fun doing it.
Indy Region SCCA
#9 ITA Neon Coupe
2009 IndySCCA Assistant Regional Executive and Solo Co-Chair

www.performancedrivenllc.com

keeders08
1GN Registrant

Post by keeders08 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:21 pm

mtownneon wrote:Road racing with the power steering disconnected is not a big deal, the only thing you notice is more pronounced feedback through the steering wheel (not necassarily a bad thing).

As for autoXing, that's a different story; as has been said already, combine the lack of power assist with low speed quick manuvers and it's a real pain. I auto-Xed one of our ITA Neons last year with the power steering disconnected and did miserably and had no fun doing it.
I pretty much figured what you guys have said for the most part, i like the feedback i get with no powersteering when taking speed into a turn, its nice. I would like to know more about this Shadow steering gear though!

Thanks to you as well man! :D
KEEDY/"KEEDERS"/"KUTTER"

Doug95neon
1GN Registrant

Post by Doug95neon » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:12 pm

You'll need to research that shadow stuff on your own. Me providing information works one of two ways. Either I know too much and go in to way too much detail or I only know enough to tease you and can't be of much use. This situation... I'm just teasing you.

The accidental loss of assist last year was interesting. Really brought me closer to being one with the tires and I felt sorry for them cause I was working them hard.
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I HAVE to be right.

My Project thread: Here

bone-yard-racing
1GN Registrant

Post by bone-yard-racing » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:05 pm

I never missed PS on the auto-x course I am an overdriver and it made me slow down.
1996 Dodge Neon sdn: Eugene ACR clone magnifyed... Blown up waiting on a 2.4
1995 Plymouth Sport sdn: Harold DOHC swap FSP/TTE/PTE #327
2004 neon R/T: Bolt on DD

www.boneyardracing.com

keeders08
1GN Registrant

Post by keeders08 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:32 am

bone-yard-racing wrote:I never missed PS on the auto-x course I am an overdriver and it made me slow down.
So ur sayin' p/s slowed you down right?

I'm def. going to look into the shadow steering gear. Anyone have an idea on how painful the gear swap could be? difficulty is no issue as i plunge into things im unconfident about with beer and cigs.. lmao (trust me i know that isn't the greatest idea)

Anyway, how bout I broke off a torx bit(i think thats what its called) in the hole to adjust idle on the TB.. :shock:

wtf i do these things..? i wouldnt know, i swear the beer was not involved in this one.
KEEDY/"KEEDERS"/"KUTTER"

bone-yard-racing
1GN Registrant

Post by bone-yard-racing » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:14 pm

First of all until the number of broken T20 bits in your tool box is more than 20 you arent a proper neon-er or maybe you buy TBs :lol:

With no P/S you have to work a lot harder to turn the car therefore my steering inputs became much slower and more gentle that is the way to more speed. My car was set up to be unstable(dedicated auto-x car that I drove on the street) so it took a fraction of the steering input an occasional auto-x/street car will. The shadow rack will get you the steering speed no problem. The easiest way to do the rack would be with the engine out of the car or you could drop the K-frame

www.boneyardracing.com

keeders08
1GN Registrant

Post by keeders08 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:16 am

bone-yard-racing wrote:First of all until the number of broken T20 bits in your tool box is more than 20 you arent a proper neon-er or maybe you buy TBs :lol:

With no P/S you have to work a lot harder to turn the car therefore my steering inputs became much slower and more gentle that is the way to more speed. My car was set up to be unstable(dedicated auto-x car that I drove on the street) so it took a fraction of the steering input an occasional auto-x/street car will. The shadow rack will get you the steering speed no problem. The easiest way to do the rack would be with the engine out of the car or you could drop the K-frame
Good deal, i'll have to look into the shadow steering gear then!

and as for the T20 bits, i broke 2 more trying to adjust my idle..:-(
Last edited by keeders08 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
KEEDY/"KEEDERS"/"KUTTER"

bone-yard-racing
1GN Registrant

Post by bone-yard-racing » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:32 am

Heat the TB up with a soldering iron and use the T-handle torx drivers from harbor freight they seem to hold up the best for me

www.boneyardracing.com

keeders08
1GN Registrant

Post by keeders08 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:46 am

bone-yard-racing wrote:Heat the TB up with a soldering iron and use the T-handle torx drivers from harbor freight they seem to hold up the best for me
Harbor does have good stuff. lol :D

Anybody with a comment on the difficulty of swapping to a Shadow steering gear? :D
KEEDY/"KEEDERS"/"KUTTER"

bone-yard-racing
1GN Registrant

Post by bone-yard-racing » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:30 am

big .org write up:
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=227583

The manual says you just have to drop the k-frame enough to get the steering rack clamp bolts out and I guess you can pull it out from there. It really doesnt look too hard.

www.boneyardracing.com

keeders08
1GN Registrant

Post by keeders08 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:22 pm

bone-yard-racing wrote:big .org write up:
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=227583

The manual says you just have to drop the k-frame enough to get the steering rack clamp bolts out and I guess you can pull it out from there. It really doesnt look too hard.
Ok that was pretty good, but i wonder if ne-one has a more detailed write up with all the adjustments needed and how to figure out what ratio you already have...

For example, he says he has a highline and it had 18:1...
I'd like find out what each 1st Gen has and post it up on here with the ratios of each.

I assume that the ACR and possibly the Sport, which i have, have a more responsive steering gear..?

Once I do this swap and get all the info, i'll just post the whole thing up myself here on 1gn if nothing comes up before then.

OOH.. and its said in that .org post that Shadow gear makes it harder to turn...? lol wtf are we getting into now.. jeeezus
KEEDY/"KEEDERS"/"KUTTER"

bone-yard-racing
1GN Registrant

Post by bone-yard-racing » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:43 pm

Manual rack is 22:1
Sport/Highline/Expresso/Base rack is 18:1
acr/RT rack is 16:1