DOHC HEad on a SOHC

Working on a DOHC or 2.4L swap, or maybe you have some other idea and have some questions? Feel free to ask them here...
97neon
1GN Registrant

DOHC HEad on a SOHC

Post by 97neon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:53 pm

ok i have a 98 sohc .... how hard is it to do a DOHC swap ??? i already have the dohc head , dohc pcm and wiring harness

Joe

sabu
1GN Registrant

Post by sabu » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:14 am

You will need new manifolds, a new timing belt and water pump. A day to work on it depending on how fast you are. Crank pulley puller, beer and a new head gasket with new head bolts. If you can do a head gasket and not get lost you can swap a head. To be honest just drop a 2.4L in and be done with it. 8)
1997 Plymouth Neon Sport - Daily Driver
1998 Dodge Neon EX - Turbo, MegaSquirt
Bzevey wrote:Its just....JUST!!! WTF IS JUX???

JUST because you're deaf doesn't mean you're fucking blind

and that goes to anyone

jamieely
1GN Registrant

Post by jamieely » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:53 am

With the drop in compression I would guess you will gain nothing from the swap. Will go from 9.8 to about 9.3-9.4 You would be better off leaving the head and switching to DOHC pistons. I just did this yesterday and it kicks ass.
1995 Highline Coupe SOHC MTX.
DOHC Mopar PCM
e85, 30lb injectors, LM-1, SAFC
Custom CAI, 60mm MPx TB, AMM Box Intake, DOHC pistons, built4race UDP
PT Clutch, 3.94 FD
AF/X LTH, High Flow Cat, Spiral Flow, 2.5" piping, Flowmaster 80 series

P&P Magnum head, Crane springs, Crane 007, AEM 3-bolt cam gear almost ready to bolt on

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:05 am

New head bolts aren't necessary if they're not stretched.

A new waterpump is a good idea if it hasn't been changed lately.

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

sabu
1GN Registrant

Post by sabu » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:05 am

For the sake of not doing a job twice and the 40 bucks the head bolts cost I usually replace them anyway. Why take a chance.
1997 Plymouth Neon Sport - Daily Driver
1998 Dodge Neon EX - Turbo, MegaSquirt
Bzevey wrote:Its just....JUST!!! WTF IS JUX???

JUST because you're deaf doesn't mean you're fucking blind

and that goes to anyone

AMM
1GN Registrant

Post by AMM » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:53 pm

sabu wrote:For the sake of not doing a job twice and the 40 bucks the head bolts cost I usually replace them anyway. Why take a chance.
well up above u said " you will need" a water pump and head bolts, not "i would suggest them to be safe". im pretty sure thats why roy said that. hell i was gonna say the sam thing he did.

mike
Need a ported/ custom intake manifold or system, oil catch can, or ported head? (look here...... http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=259775) shoot me a PM for details. Headers and turbo manifolds to come shortly.

97neon
1GN Registrant

Post by 97neon » Sat May 02, 2009 10:42 pm

so swapping out dohc pistons on my sohc would be my best bet ???

thanks for all the info guys !!!

Ghost Neon
1GN Registrant

Post by Ghost Neon » Sun May 03, 2009 11:55 am

jamieely wrote:With the drop in compression I would guess you will gain nothing from the swap. Will go from 9.8 to about 9.3-9.4 You would be better off leaving the head and switching to DOHC pistons. I just did this yesterday and it kicks ass.
This is often the assessment, but is not correct. I did this swap two neons ago out of despiration, with noticeable gains. Even before the swap, mods included a iceman, atx tb, af/x udp, and r/t mtx. With a dohc head in its place, 2500 to 7k felt more commanding. The swap was, and has always been the best bang for the buck mod for a neon. With the addition of a ebay head and mopar pcm, the car was quite impressive, for the handfull of mods on a stock looking neon. The magnum head is the only comparible head to the dohc, but still is limited in tuning and cam options. And is (in most cases) more expensive.

domesticated
1GN Registrant

Post by domesticated » Mon May 04, 2009 3:51 am

97neon wrote:so swapping out dohc pistons on my sohc would be my best bet ???

thanks for all the info guys !!!
actually the sohc are better.
sohc: 9.8
dohc: 9.6
a dohc head on an sohc block will have slightly higher performance
United We Stand. Anebriated We Fall.

Ghost Neon
1GN Registrant

Post by Ghost Neon » Mon May 04, 2009 11:18 am

Are you running dohc pistons at the moment? If not, you should. Using dohc pistons on either head is better than the sohc pistons. The dohc head and pistons are obviously better, so there is your ideal combination.

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Tue May 05, 2009 12:14 am

domesticated wrote: actually the sohc are better.
sohc: 9.8
dohc: 9.6
a dohc head on an sohc block will have slightly higher performance
DOHC head with SOHC pistons will have lower compression. DOHC pistons are slightly domed. Thats why DOHC pistons with a SOHC head will yield around 10.3:1 CR. The SOHC head has 48cc chambers as opposed to the DOHC's 54cc, if I remember correctly.

If you ever plan on running larger cams, go with the DOHC pistons. You will want the extra compression.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Tue May 05, 2009 8:39 am

The bowl area on the Dohc head is slightly larger because of the larger valves, so that's why Chrysler had to use the domed pistons. Remember bore X stroke are the same on both engines so this explains the compression ratio difference. But the Dohc heads on the Sohc block would make a good low boost turbo set up, but like DOCHRT said, would be a dog N/a but still run.
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

domesticated
1GN Registrant

Post by domesticated » Tue May 05, 2009 4:44 pm

good call, i didnt know they were different. im not much into sohc's. they have a following but dohc always yields better performance
United We Stand. Anebriated We Fall.