Buying a car

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.

Which one would you buy?

Evo VIII
33%
04 STi
33%
05 SRT-4 ACR
33%

Total votes: 9

TomZ
1GN Registrant

Post by TomZ » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:39 pm

Here's the best advice I can give you: Just because you get a job making a little money, don't piss it away on a car. Get into the savings habit early. Put your money into a house, IRA, whatever... then buy toys. If you do this, you'll thank me later.
'95 ACR Coupe, 14.366 @ 94.57 MPH Bolt-ons and weight redux (Built 2.4 needs final assembly)
'02 ES Magnum swap, Comp 200 Cam, ACR suspension, bolt ons.
'00 Chrysler LE (Fiancee's) Stock, 1GN R/T rims

bone-yard-racing
1GN Registrant

Post by bone-yard-racing » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:56 pm

Tyler wrote:
bone-yard-racing wrote:
Tyler wrote:I dunno about the BMW route, I like Audi but you cannot work on either at all. I have a place in my heart for the SRT, and the ACR would be icing on the cake. To me the Evo and STi are drivers cars. Mean as hell, decently fast and handle very well. It will all depend on the deals I can find and such.

As far as douche bags drive Evo's, that can be said about neons too so that doesnt matter to me cuz I dont consider myself a douche bag.
Drivers cars dont have computers to save your ass when you do something stupid. Just throwing this out there check some early 90's supercars out they are about evo/sti money and just so pretty.
I get what ya mean completely, but I can imagine they are kickass to drive. They wud be a car that I wuold want to hit a curvy road and drive for hours just for fun. Hell I enjoy driving curvy roads in my neon everyday and get into it.

The STi looks to be the front runner right now. Cheaper than Evo, Ive been reading so many pros>cons with them as well. I cant wait to test drive!
Really a lot of the charm of the neon are that its limits are low enough that you can bomb around that road and feel like you're flying when really you are going slow enough for self preservation. Check into a mazdaspeed miata and an R53 cooper S. The mini is seriously one of the best handling cars Ive ever driven and most of them have been dead stock
1996 Dodge Neon sdn: Eugene ACR clone magnifyed... Blown up waiting on a 2.4
1995 Plymouth Sport sdn: Harold DOHC swap FSP/TTE/PTE #327
2004 neon R/T: Bolt on DD

www.boneyardracing.com

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:02 pm

TomZ wrote:Here's the best advice I can give you: Just because you get a job making a little money, don't piss it away on a car. Get into the savings habit early. Put your money into a house, IRA, whatever... then buy toys. If you do this, you'll thank me later.
Thanks for the advice Tom. I know but its so hard not to reward yourself once you get somewhere youve worked towards. This is more preliminary and once I get closer to the summer, my mind may change.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:23 am

Tom's advise is probably the best you can take, especially in today's economy.

Those nice cars can be tempting, but they are probably the worst investment you could make at this point (besides buying stock in GM or Chrysler, lol).

That poor 1gn neon you drive might not be as flashy or exciting as an EVO or STi, but you're probably not paying much on it, if at all. Maybe you should seriously consider keeping the neon around until you're more established. If you have a little extra money, concentrate on making it more reliable and driveable. Fix the things that annoy you. This will only make it worth more when the time comes to get rid of it.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:45 am

DOHCRT wrote:Tom's advise is probably the best you can take, especially in today's economy.

Those nice cars can be tempting, but they are probably the worst investment you could make at this point (besides buying stock in GM or Chrysler, lol).

That poor 1gn neon you drive might not be as flashy or exciting as an EVO or STi, but you're probably not paying much on it, if at all. Maybe you should seriously consider keeping the neon around until you're more established. If you have a little extra money, concentrate on making it more reliable and driveable. Fix the things that annoy you. This will only make it worth more when the time comes to get rid of it.
The neon will always be here. I will never get rid of her, I couldnt ever get enough out of it compared to how much I value that car. A car will be bought, the price tags may come down to something more affordable but I will continue to look and compare. I understand saving is very important because I plan to be engaged this summer as well, but I sure do love toys. :lol:
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

suave23
1GN Registrant

Post by suave23 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:16 pm

TomZ wrote:Here's the best advice I can give you: Just because you get a job making a little money, don't piss it away on a car. Get into the savings habit early. Put your money into a house, IRA, whatever... then buy toys. If you do this, you'll thank me later.
I thought I might have to be the first to say it. I agree completely and can speak from experience.

Don't let me discourage you, Tyler, but consider more than the initial cost of the car. Consider how much you want to put down (which in most cases will drasticly affect your monthly payment), insurance costs (which will shock you), cost of maintenance on a performance car like the ones on your list, cost of the modifications (if any) that you want to do, gas milage, average repair costs, etc..

I know you're wanting to look for a place of your own soon, so keep in mind that you might have a rent payment and possibly utility payment on top of your car and insurance payment.

Again, I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a new car, you know I'm looking forward to helping you wrench on whatever you get, I'm just saying do a LOT of serious research and try to come up with a ballpark figure of what the minimum that you'll be paying each month will be, compared to what you think you'll be bringing home after taxes, and see how much you'll have over.

If you want, I'll gladly tell you how much I'm spending a month on the SRT and the '95 combined (since you'll be keeping your Neon), and maybe that will give you a better idea.

If you're dead set on getting a nice used car, I'd start looking at cars priced around $10K and work my way up. Keep in mind there are still clean, low milage LS1's out there in that price range, which is half of what you're currently looking to spend, and that will leave you more than enough to do heads/cam/intake and bolt-ons with a tune and have one hellacious V8 RWD 6 speed car. Just one option... :wink:
2003 Cobra 10th Anniversary - CAI, MAF, Exhaust, Pulley, and tune

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:50 pm

Duely noted Alex, and I am doing serious research. Its hard to figure out how much a month Id be paying on the car, insurance I can get a ballpark figure. Not moving out this summer now, we decided against it after researching and looking around a bit. I have money in my savings and could put a down payment about the amount you did on the SRT.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:57 pm

Since we've started to suggest other things to do with the money...

What I would suggest you do is take whatever you will be making above and beyond what you're making now, and save at least 75% of that away in some sort of account/investment/something for retirement or maybe even for a down payment on a house.

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

AppleCon
1GN n00b

Post by AppleCon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:56 am

I would by an Evo VIII.

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:50 pm

Holy old thread bump batman! If he hadn't bought a car yet, I don't think he's going to buy a car.