All Motor Build

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
Archametes
1GN Registrant

All Motor Build

Post by Archametes » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:38 pm

10/16/08

Just got the car. It's a 1995 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe. It is an automatic and will stay that way. I have already started looking for a modified valve body for more torque and faster shifts. It has new Headlights and an Iceman Cold Air Intake. Very shortly will have solid motor and tranny mounts as well as KYB Gr-2 struts all the way around and Skunk2 lowering springs. I'll try to post pics as soon as I can after the drop. Car also has an Optima Yellow Top battery, Earth Wire spark plug grounds and a Sony head unit. So far everything else is stock but at anytime on any day that can change!!!

11/1/08

Ok as of the last update I have ordered the following parts: Modified Racing Valve body for the transmission and a Mopar Performance ECU for a better fuel map and higher rev limiter for the engine. The ECU will also allow me to remove the EGR and Rear O2 sensor from the car WITHOUT throwing a CEL code. The only part I currently DO NOT have as of yet is the ECU. Tomorrow I should be putting in the Solid Motor Mounts and if time permits the valve body as well. Also, I already replaced the plastic piece near the driverside door and had to fix the driver side window and lock assemblies. It's all good now!

Here's a pic of the engine bay, I was in the middle of swapping the battery tray when I took it. It may not look like it in the picture but the engine bay IS really clean.

11/2/08

OK. Solid Motor Mounts are in, and what a difference they make! A little more vibration in the car than I would like but the motor itself doesn't move AT ALL. For those of you who don't know, that means more power to the wheels rather than being lost in momentum shift of the motor moving on the stock mounts. Didn't have time however to get the tranny done as I hoped but that's ok, I had fun showing my 7 yr. old how to do an oil change and stuff!
Last edited by Archametes on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:54 pm

car looks nice keep up the work!
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:50 pm

11/6/08

Ok, well I modded the Valve body ion the transmission and HOLY SHNIKEYS! what a difference. I highly recommend this mod to anyone with an ATX. I am very satisfied for something that cost $0.50 it has to be the BEST bang for buck mod I've ever seen.

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:47 pm

Archametes wrote:11/6/08

Ok, well I modded the Valve body ion the transmission and HOLY SHNIKEYS! what a difference. I highly recommend this mod to anyone with an ATX. I am very satisfied for something that cost $0.50 it has to be the BEST bang for buck mod I've ever seen.
ive never heard about this.. what do you do?
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:05 pm

11/11/08

Got the Skunk2 springs and the KYB Gr-2 struts in. I'll post pics and a How To for general strut replacement as well within the next few days.

car now sits about 2 inches from the tire in the front and about 2.5 inches in the rear. Stance is really good and ride is great.
Last edited by Archametes on Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

99sport
1GN Registrant

Post by 99sport » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:22 pm

Ladi3sman55 wrote:
Archametes wrote:11/6/08

ive never heard about this.. what do you do?
x2!!

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:56 pm

Here you go:

http://ripcuda.50megs.com/shift.html

Again if anyone needs the bar mentioned in the mod let me know and I can cut one at work. It'll be stainless steel.

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:21 pm

TTI Long Tube Header coming soon!!!!! I'll tryu to post up pics of the install ...

superD
1GN Registrant

Post by superD » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:21 am

Archametes wrote:Here you go:

http://ripcuda.50megs.com/shift.html

Again if anyone needs the bar mentioned in the mod let me know and I can cut one at work. It'll be stainless steel.
i had that done to my first transmission.

my newest transmission shifted twice as hard :D
1995 4 door mtx with 96 cam. Booger bushings
1999 turbo coupe putting 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag
stuff for sale, MTX swap
Talk of ATXs is prohibited on neons.org, it is blasphemy and will invoke the wrath of the MTX elitests.
superD member #3

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:25 pm

Yeah I know an ATX won't actually "grab" as hard as an MTX no matter what's done to it. In the future maybe I'll swap it but for now... like I said incase the wife EVER has to drive the car it'll have to be an auto for the time being.

tekcash81
1GN Registrant

Post by tekcash81 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:53 pm

i didnt think there was a performance ECU out there for an ATX? I have disabled my cat and the CEL has been on for months now, all the performance ECU i can find are for MTX vehicles. Plan on doing the shift kit myself probly when it warms up again.
Lemme know where you got the ECU
Thanks!
No car at the moment :( Neon Was totaled

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:47 am

It is an MTX ecu. I just wired the torque converter lockup solenoid to a switch. When I go above 60 for an extended period of time, I flip the switch and cruise along. I just have to remember to shut the switch off when I stop or it'll stall out.

1gnR/T
1GN Registrant

Post by 1gnR/T » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:54 am

hows the car ride?

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:02 am

Really well. Back country roads are pretty good and highways are really smooth. City potholes are about the same as the bad struts were before though. All in all I'm very happy with the set up.

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:38 pm

TTI long tube header SHOULD be done this weekend, had to laser cut a new flange at work. Also put on Altezza's:

They will more than likely be painted red chrome after a few weeks... Any other suggestions on the color?