Straight pipe instead of flex pipe

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons? just anything that is generally "engine" specific.
afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Straight pipe instead of flex pipe

Post by afireinside4848 » Fri May 23, 2008 11:09 pm

So once again the flexpipe is ripped at the downpipe to cat. Mainly because I had the cat a little to high up and when the engine shifted back it made the cat pipe want to push up through the flexpipe. I am either going to replace it with flexpipe and double layer it and also move the cat down so its actually a bit lower on the flexpipe or solid pipe it. Now obviously solid pipe on a stock neon would cause major rattle and other problems but I have all solid mounts and my engine can rev all the way up with just a barely noticeable movement, only time you can really see the engine shift is when I stall it. Anyone ever do it?

- Right now im pushing just a lil over 300 HP, thinking about upgrading turbo charger and putting a 6spd tranny in - LMFAO

- Only took 4 transmissions to make me relize I need to take it easy cause its just a neon -

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD
2.4L Turbo Project Neon Soon Under Way

charger440neon2.0l
1GN Registrant

Post by charger440neon2.0l » Sat May 24, 2008 1:21 am

it was explained to me that 3/8" of engine movement translates into 2" of movement off the stock manifold. so it makes sence why there is 4" of available movement in the stock ball and socket. And the further away from the engine the further the movement. so you need to move the cat and keep the flex pipe other wise something somewhere will give.

afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Post by afireinside4848 » Sat May 24, 2008 1:39 am

Ya now I relize it would just be hard enough to get the pipe on since they would have to be dead center. Well hopefully double layer will work better.

- Right now im pushing just a lil over 300 HP, thinking about upgrading turbo charger and putting a 6spd tranny in - LMFAO

- Only took 4 transmissions to make me relize I need to take it easy cause its just a neon -

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD

fusion210
1GN Registrant

Post by fusion210 » Sat May 24, 2008 9:01 am

What header do you have?

Double layer? I think your flexpipes might just be cheap!
Like the one I bought but haven't used yet.
The best ones are like the oem and on www.maxxfab.com
Best

Cheaper

Worst is where it's just mesh on the inside instead of actual corrugated piping. The longer they are the worse they are. I've seen pics of them tearing, sagging, and collapsing in the middle.

Here is how my last two were set up.
A very small flexible section on the end of the header with a 3 bolt flange welded on. Then connected right to the cat.

A homemade adapter with the cat placed a little further back.

6(sic)6
1GN Registrant

Post by 6(sic)6 » Sat May 24, 2008 9:17 am

Just get solid motor mounts and never worry about it again.

Your lady friends will love the whole car vibrating,

You will never have wheel hop again!
SuperCharged SOHC http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t ... highlight=
Samu wrote:If you get rid of your 1st gen it will be like the girl that got away. :cry:

afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Post by afireinside4848 » Sat May 24, 2008 11:06 pm

I have solid mounts, thats why theres not much play.

The pipe is from advanced auto parts, like the 1st one but without the extra layer. Its only bout 6 inches long after I cut it.

I have to pull of the whole manifold and cut the downpipe bolts off and drill new holes cause there are rusted cut and stripped so I can't get the DP off and there is no flange. I'm going to lower the cat a bit so its evenly lined up and also double layer the flexpipe. I'd love to use the stainless flex pipe but its only one size.

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD

6(sic)6
1GN Registrant

Post by 6(sic)6 » Sun May 25, 2008 1:53 am

How do you have solid mounts but claim your engine moves? Iam confused.

my bad it was someone else that said that <EDIT
Samu wrote:If you get rid of your 1st gen it will be like the girl that got away. :cry:

afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Post by afireinside4848 » Sun May 25, 2008 8:55 am

Ok maybe solid and filled are different? I have all 3 mounts filled with the polyurathane or w/e u buy at the store. It doesn't move much but when downshifting hard or accelerating hard I'm geussing it moves a bit.

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD

bone-yard-racing
1GN Registrant

Post by bone-yard-racing » Sun May 25, 2008 10:17 am

Use the pipe from autozone but use a big a length as you can and used at least 2 clamps per side.
1996 Dodge Neon sdn: Eugene ACR clone magnifyed... Blown up waiting on a 2.4
1995 Plymouth Sport sdn: Harold DOHC swap FSP/TTE/PTE #327
2004 neon R/T: Bolt on DD

www.boneyardracing.com

6(sic)6
1GN Registrant

Post by 6(sic)6 » Sun May 25, 2008 11:23 am

afireinside4848 wrote:Ok maybe solid and filled are different? I have all 3 mounts filled with the polyurathane or w/e u buy at the store. It doesn't move much but when downshifting hard or accelerating hard I'm geussing it moves a bit.
Mine r solid and move none......

robert 'bob' paulson
1GN Registrant

Post by robert 'bob' paulson » Sun May 25, 2008 12:31 pm

afireinside4848 wrote:The pipe is from advanced auto parts, like the 1st one but without the extra layer.
that pipe is intended to replace straight sections of rusted out/broken exhausts, it doesn't flex enough to be used in the capacity you require.

afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Post by afireinside4848 » Sun May 25, 2008 4:18 pm

What kind of pipe would I be able to get( that I can cut to the right size) and where? Advanced only sells that one and the stainless braided is one size only.

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sun May 25, 2008 6:11 pm

Ebay, if you're not in a rush.
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

fusion210
1GN Registrant

Post by fusion210 » Sun May 25, 2008 7:37 pm

That pipe is crap, you need an actual flex joint like the ones I posted.

robert 'bob' paulson
1GN Registrant

Post by robert 'bob' paulson » Sun May 25, 2008 10:50 pm

afireinside4848 wrote:What kind of pipe would I be able to get( that I can cut to the right size) and where? Advanced only sells that one and the stainless braided is one size only.
get an actual flex pipe. if you get the right thing, you won't need to cut it. you should be cutting the piping to fit not the other way around. i got mine at my local muffler shop. it wasn't my first choice but it got the job done. it resembles fusions second example. when i get some money to put the long tube on, (no Chris, i still haven't done that) i'll order one from 1 of the 1,000,000,000,000 sites online that carry them.