M62 Blower Kit<----2 semi cool vids.....

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
6(sic)6
1GN Registrant

Post by 6(sic)6 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:37 pm

^ I really dont want to take the block out. Ive never had to have a bottom end rebalenced before. Do I just need to take the crank and piston assembly to a machine shop or do I need the block to? Iam planning on getting some JE pistons and eagle rods.

Also, Can I take the valves out of my normal sohc head and swap them into my mag head? The mag head has bent valves, thats how I got it on the cheap...
SuperCharged SOHC http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t ... highlight=
Samu wrote:If you get rid of your 1st gen it will be like the girl that got away. :cry:

1fast2liter
1GN Registrant

Post by 1fast2liter » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:17 pm

no the valves are different. you only need the crank rods and pistons and rings for them to balance the assemblie. the mag valves i would get straight from mopar for it and take it right to a machine shop were they can make sure the guides are not damaged then they car install the new valves and make sure its all good for you.

96 blue coupe sold
96 white 4 door sold
95 blue sport parted out
97 straberrie red coupe sold
95 black base parted out

current drivers
97 dodge ram 1500 5.9 ext cab sport fire engine red. tinted windows cat back exhaust suer chips tune, 1 mephis audio sub

90 audi 80. 400 miles to the tank
2002 custom sportster 90 whp and quick too

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:19 pm

It really boils down to building a better engine. If you spend all that money on those pistons and rods, why not go the extra mile to do something correctly. Bottom line is that the forged pistons and rods don't weigh the same as the factory pistons and rods. The crank is balanced to the weight of the factory assembly. By adding those forged components, you've now created an imbalance. If you've never had to have a crank balanced after changing pistons and rods, you've never built a good engine.

Look at it this way. You have a supercharged engine that was never intended to be supercharged. You are obviously building a performance engine, not a mundane gas saver that wont see more than 4000 RPM. Not only are you now stressing the crankshaft that wasn't intended to handle the kind of power you are making with it, but you are going to stress it even more by not balancing it. An engine is only as strong as its weakest point.

You have to take the crank out and take it to the machine shop along with the new pistons, rods, wrist pins, and rings. The machine shop will then dynamically balance the crank.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

6(sic)6
1GN Registrant

Post by 6(sic)6 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:24 pm

DOHCRT wrote: If you've never had to have a crank balanced after changing pistons and rods, you've never built a good engine.
No
Ive never "built" an engine, nor have I claimed to, thats why Iam asking you guys these questions...

I have no prob taking the crank out I just wanted to leave the block in but Id prob have to take the block out anyway to put the new bearings and balanced crank in anyhow. I have an old complete block in my basement. Maybe Ill build that one and just "drop" it in when its ready.

Iam just brainstorming my options here guys,

I guess this will be my game plan,

Buy pistons, rods, rings, bearings, water pump, oil pump, etc etc
take my spare block to be decked honed, crank balenced, and assembled with new internals.

Take my mag head into be decked, press tested and re assembled with new valves,

Of course reasemble with Mopar mls gasket arp studs, new tensioner and T-belt

I think thats about it. Looks like Ive got alot of saving up to do....

Thanks for the info fellas!
Samu wrote:If you get rid of your 1st gen it will be like the girl that got away. :cry:

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:47 pm

6(sic)6 wrote:No
Ive never "built" an engine, nor have I claimed to, thats why Iam asking you guys these questions...
Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound like a prick. I just wanted to stress to you how important it was. I think your project is uber cool, and I would hate to see it ruined.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

6(sic)6
1GN Registrant

Post by 6(sic)6 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:46 am

^ yea, no prob man. I totally agree with you about the ballencing thing. I want to do this rite and have my self a lil boost happy motor that will last.

BIGRAM
1GN Registrant

Post by BIGRAM » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:13 am

you'd have to take the block there so they can bore it anyway, low compression pistons only come .020 over atleast what i've seen anyway

6(sic)6
1GN Registrant

Post by 6(sic)6 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:53 pm

^ not wiseco's

6(sic)6
1GN Registrant

Post by 6(sic)6 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:30 pm

I Updated the first page with pics since I lost my links a few weeks back.....

6(sic)6
1GN Registrant

Post by 6(sic)6 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:55 pm

Yup! It was the RingLands....

1fast2liter
1GN Registrant

Post by 1fast2liter » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:56 am

ouch... to much timing it looks like...

96 blue coupe sold
96 white 4 door sold
95 blue sport parted out
97 straberrie red coupe sold
95 black base parted out

current drivers
97 dodge ram 1500 5.9 ext cab sport fire engine red. tinted windows cat back exhaust suer chips tune, 1 mephis audio sub

90 audi 80. 400 miles to the tank
2002 custom sportster 90 whp and quick too

6(sic)6
1GN Registrant

Post by 6(sic)6 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:11 pm

Stock timming :( My MegaSquirt is currently fuel only. I just bought a fidanza adj cam gear so when I put it back together I can retard it some.....

6(sic)6
1GN Registrant

Post by 6(sic)6 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:01 pm

I just purchased a built sohc motor with 0 miles on her.

from "the_beast" on the .ORG,
Heres whats in transit from Wisconsin

^ Cant wait, forged internals JE 9.2.1 .020 slugs JE rings etc etc.....
Ported head, crane #12 (will be sold most likely) crane springs...

Got most everything taken off the old motor and Iam waiting for my buddy to bring his engine hoist today.

Dont you wish you had this purty girl in your back seat, or floor? haha

Cars been a toolbox on wheels for WAY to long.....

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:30 pm

how much did u grab the blower for and where from?

6(sic)6
1GN Registrant

Post by 6(sic)6 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:22 pm

Sky Perry and plenty! haha