Project Rat Rod

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
monkeyman9630
1GN Registrant

Project Rat Rod

Post by monkeyman9630 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:30 pm

so i've finally decided im gonna go with the rat rod route. the plan so far is to go with a flat black body, lower, boost the sohc (i think), and do some other do-dads. i dont think im gonna go with the popular open front look:

but something more like this:
but im still a fan of the intake pipes stickin out, so i might go N/A and use ITBs...who knows

lol the interior, well, im thinkin mexican blankets, high rise shifter, maybe put the back seats back in, and totally black out the interior.

any ideas, comments, concerns, or the such will greatly be appreciated!!!
-Lugo-

acr star
1GN Registrant

Post by acr star » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:47 pm

get a set of old chrysler ralley wheels too. Must be sure to have some old school pinstriping done also.

tboneguy915
1GN Registrant

Post by tboneguy915 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:23 pm

After I thought about it I wondered how you could do the open front end without having a frame. Even when you take off the fenders and everything you would still have a look of metal around the engine, and if you removed that, I would say you would loose to much stableness. I would suggest to shave everything too if you are going for that smooth look, and I have to say I can't wait to see the chopped roof if thats what you are planning to do . I think this is going to be a great project and something that should turn out to be truly original.

monkeyman9630
1GN Registrant

Post by monkeyman9630 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:32 pm

yeah i thought about that too and while i was looking over pics for ideas, i realized the driver sits near the back of the car. that would be almost impossible for me and the sedan to accomplish without tons of fab cash. i will admit i am really considering dropping the seats closer to the floor and trying to somehow chop the roof lower. the only problem would be the glass...oh well thats what the plannin is for!
-Lugo-

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:33 am

monkeyman9630 wrote:... without tons of fab cash...
hmm and you don't think you won't be dropping a pretty penny with what your doing now?
IMO just a waste of money and a good car.
If your going to do it, do it to the extremes and make it a show car so it actually is used for something other then personal satisfaction and possible money replacement.

acr star
1GN Registrant

Post by acr star » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:28 am

I say its your car, your money....your the only one that has to be happy with it in the end. Go for it.

monkeyman9630
1GN Registrant

Post by monkeyman9630 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:26 pm

ok so i talked to a friend of mine who does paint on the side.

Stage 1: Paint

I'm gonna strip the interior and exterior of all i can, as in when i get my friend, pierce's house, all i need to do is remove the driver seat and its all his. the total should roughly come to 500-700, depending on the amount of prep time he needs. and in 3-4 days it would be completed. he said to give him a call in 2-3 weeks when he is done with his current project and we can get a date set and everything!

I think the next step should be interior since it'll be out from paint.
-Lugo-

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:13 pm

im pumped!! i cant wait to see this project done!!
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

monkeyman9630
1GN Registrant

Post by monkeyman9630 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:38 pm

got back from woodward in detroit and got some more great idea pics!!

how low it will be in the end i hope!
-Lugo-

monkeyman9630
1GN Registrant

Post by monkeyman9630 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:40 pm

found a guy whos sellin his airride system for around 6-700 bucks. hopefully he will still have it after i save up $$$ post-paint...
-Lugo-

monkeyman9630
1GN Registrant

Post by monkeyman9630 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:11 pm

so backtrack on plans...i'm tryin to find a coupe shell that i can swap my engine/tranny into and help out the ratrod look. not too many sedan rats out rollin around so will help me accomplish my goals. the paint has been rescheduled probably until the spring and when i get an airride system, my subs are goin goodbye!
-Lugo-

APN
1GN Registrant

Post by APN » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:12 pm

monkeyman9630 wrote:so backtrack on plans...i'm tryin to find a coupe shell that i can swap my engine/tranny into and help out the ratrod look. not too many sedan rats out rollin around so will help me accomplish my goals. the paint has been rescheduled probably until the spring and when i get an airride system, my subs are goin goodbye!
I'll sell you my sedan shell cheap as hell. Only thing you have to replace is the right front suspension.
APN wrote:
Jordan2.4 wrote:Apn...please make a new sig with pictures of your car CLEAN...i am tired of looking at the dirt...
That's called chipping paint son. Get some glasses. 8)

monkeyman9630
1GN Registrant

Post by monkeyman9630 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:48 pm

anythin damaged to the body? any other problems i should kno about?
-Lugo-

APN
1GN Registrant

Post by APN » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:53 pm

monkeyman9630 wrote:anythin damaged to the body? any other problems i should kno about?
Body needs general neon maintainence...

As far as I remember from when the person had pictures of it up before, the roof was a bit rusty, as well as a few other spots on the body. One door has a small hole in it up by the window, and the front bumper has a small crack in it that I repaired with plastic weld and repainted... As far as I know, it needs brakes and the right front suspension components need to be replaced as well as the tire mounted on a new rim.

If you want pictures of the damage, I can post them on here.

EDIT: just remembered, the right front window is blown out, and it will have no interior other than the dash.
APN wrote:
Jordan2.4 wrote:Apn...please make a new sig with pictures of your car CLEAN...i am tired of looking at the dirt...
That's called chipping paint son. Get some glasses. 8)

acr star
1GN Registrant

Post by acr star » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:11 pm

y would you buy another sedan (4door) if you already have one??