Page 1 of 1

lowering gear ratio on a atx diff

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:48 am
by KSneon
can or has anyone lowered there gear ratio on the diff like in the old days with rear wheel drive you put 4.11 diff gear in for better drag racing does anyone know how to do this? and can it be done to get better 1/4 mile et

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:32 pm
by 2drSRT4
You can change the transfer gear for more strength. As far as changing the actual ratio, you'll need to talk to someone who builds the transmission such as DCR

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:44 pm
by northern
sound like some on need to head to the salvage yards and start hunting.

0.91 (52 and 57 teeth) (later L body)
1.04 (47 and 45 teeth) (Neon)
1.22 (60 and 49 teeth) (early L body with the VW)

had to pull the info from the other hardrive but I knew I had it around when I was playing in autocross.

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:50 pm
by JeffB#2
The only way is to change the transfer gears. The stock DOHC trans is geared slightly better than the SOHC but if you want better than that then you need to look into the transfer gears. You can't change a "ring and pinion", it's not that simple with this trans.

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:35 am
by KSneon
so if i wanted to get better et than i need a dohc transfer gear?

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:20 pm
by northern
Thats not always true, there are many DOHC's that have the same FDG's as a SOHC..

May be this can help you out more.

Transfer gears-

0.91 (52 and 57 teeth) (later L body)
1.04 (47 and 45 teeth) (Neon)
1.22 (60 and 49 teeth) (early L body with the VW)

In the factory service manual the following possible stock final drive ratios are listed:

2.60 => 0.91 transfer and 2.86 ring
2.78 => 0.91 transfer and 3.05 ring
3.02 => 1.06 transfer and 2.86 ring
3.22 => 1.06 transfer and 3.05 ring
3.50 => 1.22 transfer and 2.86 ring
3.72 => 1.22 transfer and 3.05 ring

And for Neons:

3.19 => 1.04 transfer and 3.05 ring
2.98 => 1.04 transfer and 2.86 ring

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:45 pm
by northern
^ WTF, copying my text?