Fuel Pump rebuild

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
neon n00b
1GN n00b

Fuel Pump rebuild

Post by neon n00b » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:23 am

So I bought a 98 sport just a little bit ago (I have a dead 95) and I'm pretty sure the fuel pump is starting to give up the ghost. I don't have the $300 for a new one and this is now my daily driver. Knowing that the 2 fuel pumps weren't compatible, which sucks because 8 months before the 95 died I replaced the fuel pump, I decided to do a bit of research if there was anyway I could make things work. I came across the Walbro 255 swap and read the instructions on how to open the fuel pump canister and swap out the pump mechanism, so I figured it was worth a shot to rebuild my own pump. I opened up both canisters and sure enough the pump mechanism was the same so I changed them out and also cleaned out the canister (the 98 canister was full of what I can only describe as mud) and also changed the pickup filter. I'm going to install it tomorrow and hope for the best. If this works I owe the people involved in the post and the entire forum here a beer, or at least a big thanks for saving me a bill that I can't afford at the moment. Unless I starve my wife and daughter but I don't think that'll go over too well.
The reason I'm posting this is I'm pretty new to the forum, figured I'd share how helpful it been to me already (if my rebuild works that is) and maybe this will be helpful to some else in the same sort of position.
I'll post about my sucess or lack there of depending on the outcome.

neon n00b
1GN n00b

Post by neon n00b » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:08 pm

Well it worked like a charm, definitely worth the hour or so it took to tear down both pumps, clean out the canister of the pump to be used, install the pump motor and reassemble. My car starts easy and the idle even smoothed out quite a bit. :D

srt4eh
1GN Registrant

Post by srt4eh » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:54 pm

nice
98 Neon R/T, 00 Neon, 06 Jeep GC SRT-8

Gim H3ll
1GN Registrant

Post by Gim H3ll » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:05 pm

congrats
1998 4dr SOHC neon Iceman intake

gnor

Post by gnor » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:42 pm