sohc ro dohc ????

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
whitecoupe97
1GN Registrant

sohc ro dohc ????

Post by whitecoupe97 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:05 am

i have a 97 neon sohc was wondering what all i need to do to make it dohc..full motor swap??.or just the top end??? let me know thanks
-Now im ridin neon-

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:13 pm

a head off a dohc on a sohc bottom end will result in lower compresion just so ya know :wink: . but you will need:
1: complete dohc head (cams and all)
2: complete intake and exhaust manifolds
3: new head bolts
4: wiring harness and computer out of a dohc of your proper year
5: the plastic backings of a dohc
but if your going that far it might be just as easy to run with a full 2.4dohc swap that runs n/a. it'll be better then just running the 2.0 with no mods imo.
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:21 pm

Just swap a DOHC top and bottom better compression, or like rt turbo said a 2.4 swap is a the best budget build and swap, all of these things can be had for less than $500 too.
-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, Flame Red, DOHC MTX, Goodies, "Christine X2"

-Neon #6 95 NYG sport coupe SOHC MTX, 1 0f only 527
jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

whitecoupe97
1GN Registrant

Post by whitecoupe97 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:14 pm

how would i do the 2.4 swap what all do i need?
-Now im ridin neon-

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:32 pm

im learning that a 2.4 from a stratus from 01 and up is a better choice as a base.
here is the swap from the big org on a 2.4. goes step by step with all parts you will need.
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=318202
that will get ya started.

whitecoupe97
1GN Registrant

Post by whitecoupe97 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:32 pm

would lower compression be bad or can i just put a dohc top end on??? i want to so i can get bigger cams and real true dual exaust..
-Now im ridin neon-

robert 'bob' paulson
1GN Registrant

Post by robert 'bob' paulson » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:51 pm

whitecoupe97 wrote:would lower compression be bad or can i just put a dohc top end on??? i want to so i can get bigger cams and real true dual exaust..

lower compression wouldn't be ideal natural aspirated. will it run? sure. will it run well? most likely not. you could have the head shaved, that would raise the compression. but if you're going to go through the trouble of getting bigger cams, which would need stronger springs minimally, you might as well swap in some DOHC pistons.

a true dual exhaust would take a lot of custom work. first, you would have to have two exhaust manifolds made. each would handle two cylinders. you'd most likely have to have the exhaust tunnel widened. relocate the gas tank so that you could run one of the exhaust pipes over the lateral links in the passenger side because there is no way you'd get two over the drivers side. on top of that, you'd be adding a shit ton more weight than benefits you'd ever see from doing it. in other words, its completely fucking pointless.

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:21 am

:withstupid: wheres the "like" button for that? running "true dual" is a horrid idea for a small 4cyl. btw, low compression isnt bad, my 2.4 is 8.1:1 with no turbo yet and runs great, bit sluggish compared to my buds 2.4n/a but still. most people dont realize but anything above like 8.5:1 is fine and will run just perfect. your not loosing alot with a sohc bottom end and a dohc head, i think its less than even one point, but why go through all of it when just redoing a 2.4 stock n/a with some mild port cleaning and some cams is about as cheap? plenty of neons have a 2.4 swap that run a bare stock stratus motor and the guys love it. some of us tards go all out and build turbo motors, which secreatly im regretting, and the eat any stock swap honda.

neonfighter86
1GN Registrant

Post by neonfighter86 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:28 pm

whitecoupe97 wrote:would lower compression be bad or can i just put a dohc top end on??? i want to so i can get bigger cams and real true dual exaust..
dude listen to 1genRTturbo hes one of the reasons im doing my swap on my 95 sohc sport to the 2.4. 8)
If everything seems to be in control, you're not going fast enough.

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:52 pm

lol never heard of a true Dual exhaust on any Inline engine..
boostless_98 wrote:I want to hear wat everyone has to say on the idea of right hand drive neon conversion. I know it can be gotten from australia.
Ianguilly wrote:Just drive from the passenger side.

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:50 pm

one guy had a drag car with a toyota inline 4 and it had a true dual, but it was a rail car. never seen a stock bodied car with "true" dual exhaust.