choices

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
infil

Post by infil » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:16 pm

First thing that should be touched on a sohc IMO is the exhaust. SOHC exhaust is about as efficient as an emphysemic chain smoker running a marathon in august.

Exhaust work alone will wake the car up to a point that is bordering on alarming lol.

NGK bk6res plugs are IMO the absolute best to run in a street car. only reason i switched to irridium golds was i was burning em up after about 5 passes. damn 2 step hehe. If you want to spend the money the irridiums are awsome plugs, however be prepared to spend around 120 for a set(yes, 30 a plug).

NGK bk6res or champion rc9yc are going to be your best bet. The +4's caused me to throw misfires like mad when i ran em for kicks.

I wouldn't loose much sleep over the cam, the comp 400's haven't impressed me from what i've heard/spec card. Get a magnum or crane 14. Magnum springs will work just fine with both, crane springs are nice, especially if you are running north of 8k rpm, but short of that, i've run to the mpp fuel cut way too many times on my magnums on a 14 w/ 0 problems.

98dohcsport pretty much lined out your exhaust above, anything over 2.5" will hurt the car, as would pulling the cat at this point in your build. a good longtube, high flow 2.5" small body cat(random/dynatech bullet etc), and dynomax catback would be probably the cheapest way to go while producing the most power.
Not real familiar with the OBX unit, but i have to agree that past experience with the company in general hasn't left me with the best feeling on their products.

CLutch wise, this is probably the most controversial part in the neon. Personally, from my experience, PT is best clutch i've put in the car.

I've blown up(quite proud of this list)
3 centerforces, 2 cm stage3's, 1 cm stage4, ALOT of stockers, 3 CNNP Rage. For the ones i've toasted ON the track, 1 PT(after 31000 miles of street/strip+heavy foot), ZOOM(zoomed right through the bell housing in small smoky chunks), and another CM stage3 caught part of a diff & 2nd gear from a burnout contest.

PT is BEST clutch i have put in the neon, holds everythign i'm throwing at it now and from the feel of it, will continue to hold up. I will probably switch to a SPEC stage 3 when i toast this one(simply because i have a spec alum flywheel downstairs i need to put in). If that doesn't work, i'll buy an SRT clutch and have it cut down for the neon bell housing.

UDP is a nice boost but honestly, i'd go after the exhaust first. Adding power to the car is pointless if the engine cant exhale.

my order would be:
Exhaust
PCM
UDP
Cam&springs
clutch(when this one starts slipping/grenades)
Infil <--click
AMSOIL, Technical Auto Group, S.I. J&V Tools
Fast Times Performance 2002 Subaru WRX 2.5, 11.936@113.18
95 All Motor Neon
13.958@96.99
SOHC - ALL MOTOR - STOCK BLOCK

infil

Post by infil » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:25 pm

http://forum.1gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=876

detailed walkthough i put together a while back but might be helpful to ya, you made me think of this so i brought it over here lol.
Infil <--click
AMSOIL, Technical Auto Group, S.I. J&V Tools
Fast Times Performance 2002 Subaru WRX 2.5, 11.936@113.18
95 All Motor Neon
13.958@96.99
SOHC - ALL MOTOR - STOCK BLOCK

97neon06
1GN Registrant

Post by 97neon06 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:57 am

yea i already have the obx catback but now im gonna get the pcm... thanks alot for all your inputs and i will follow.... this is much appreciated...i will keep you guys updated...