Here's something interesting:

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
krat0s
1GN Registrant

Here's something interesting:

Post by krat0s » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:37 pm

Yesterday I did an oil change. Easy, right?

Checked oil, totally full. Neat.

Armor alled and detailed the car. Took off a good amount of paint doing so :(.

Anyway, I'm driving home from my sister's yesterday night and about a half mile from my house the oil light comes on. I'm thinking that I didn't tighten the filter or the drain plug enough. Anyway, I drove home and parked the car. Just now, I went outside and looked under the car. A few stains-but that's always been there. Nothing major. I checked the oil-the same level as it was yesterday after the change.

What could cause an oil light to come on? Which sensor sets the oil light on/off? It's been coming on/off randomly and I just was checking the oil and adding oil as needed-but it's never stuck before.

As for oil leaks:
Slight leak from the valve cover, nothing major. I wipe this off every time I do an oil change and it really is tiny and I will take care of it this month.

The rear main has been backing out a little bit ever since the head gasket went, just a little by little or so, but this isn't major either. I never have to add more than 1/8-1/4 quart about 1,500 miles between oil changes. The car is flawless, except for the oil leaks/exhaust leak and minimal body issues. There is also something bent which causes my wheel to sit back further, but I think that's just an outer tie rod/control arm being slightly bent because the shop I took it to when my brother bashed it into a curb decided not to replace it because the tires weren't rubbing.

As for electrical: I had a weird problem with a turn signal sticking-but I replace the headlight and gasket and I haven't seen that one since. The oil light is there. The only electrical things I have done include a Sirius Satellite radio install and I ran amp wiring off the battery and the remote to the amp. All the wires I ran are underneath the carpet. I also replaced the starter wires this winter.

The oil light phantom, however, has been around randomly before the electrical stuff I've done this winter.

Any thoughts?
-Tom

1995 Dodge Neon SOHC / MTX / AAR Stripes / Brilliant Blisterin' Blue
Enkei / Firestone / Iceman / Pacesetter / Dynomax / Mopar

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:41 pm

Could be a bad oil pressure switch.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

sandstone
1GN Registrant

Post by sandstone » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:40 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The oil pressure warning light is illuminated when the oil pressure drops below a specified level. It doesn't necessarily correspond to the amount of oil in the pan. If the pressure truly is low, the oil pressure warning light usually illuminates at low engine rpm. You could remove the sending unit from the back of the engine (between cylinders #3 and #4 - you'll need a special oil pressure sending unit socket, available at most parts stores) and check the pressure with an oil pressure guage or just try installing a new sending unit to see if the problem disappears. If you choose to check the pressure with a guage, the oil pressure at idle (engine warmed to normal operating temperature) should be at least 4 psi and 25-80 psi at 3000 rpm, according to the 1997 neon factory service manual from Chrysler. Specs are the same for SOHC and DOHC engines.

It does, however, sound like it's just a malfunctioning oil pressure switch (sending unit).

See more discussion of this at http://forum.1gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=622 and http://forum.1gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=647

fusion210
1GN Registrant

Post by fusion210 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:53 pm

I agree, sounds just like it's the switch. With all your cleaning do you think you might have hit it with some of whatever you detailed the car with?

It could be just the switch on the block or a bad oil pump.

98DOHCSport
1GN Registrant

Post by 98DOHCSport » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:49 pm

yeah mine went bad. I replaced it no prob. now. Its kinda right under the header
98 PLAT Sports Coupe(fun)
98 White R/T(funner)
97 DOHC ACR Coupe(funnerest)

krat0s
1GN Registrant

Post by krat0s » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:41 pm

Cool; I'll get to it when I get my magnum header on.

Thanks guys.
-Tom

1995 Dodge Neon SOHC / MTX / AAR Stripes / Brilliant Blisterin' Blue
Enkei / Firestone / Iceman / Pacesetter / Dynomax / Mopar

infil

Post by infil » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:57 pm

do yoursel a favor and throw an oil pressure gauge in. if you run the engine under 25 when hot, you got a problem. helps monitor the engine either way.
Infil <--click
AMSOIL, Technical Auto Group, S.I. J&V Tools
Fast Times Performance 2002 Subaru WRX 2.5, 11.936@113.18
95 All Motor Neon
13.958@96.99
SOHC - ALL MOTOR - STOCK BLOCK