another swap post.. whatta ya know

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
nuklhed074
1GN Registrant

another swap post.. whatta ya know

Post by nuklhed074 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:19 pm

ok look i have the stuff to do the swap but after a few debates with friends, is it worth it? i have a 95 4 door no option neon, no ac no ps, with an 02 motor rebuilt at 12k miles and currently has 11k on top of that it runs strong to say the least, dohc pistons tb spacer, auto tb,of course the warm air intake, dynomax header, full 2.25 exhaust and a different muffler, no its not a fart can lol. also i have (not on the car) srt stock injectors and an safc. now my dohc head is fully ported and polished combustion chambers and all and all redone valves and i just have stock cams. IS IT WORTH IT? am i going to see or feel a difference now i know i have alot more options with the dohc as for cam choice and what not but going from 10.3:1 to 9.6:1 and gaining the extra rotating force of the other cam which i know is not that big of a drag. i just dont want to do the work and not get a difference now i am dynoing the car before and after but i want some good insight. or should i stick with the sohc get a 3.94 and an 01 r/t cam? thanks in advance. and please just dont say swap it have a good reason to back it up and not just cause i can have bigger cams.
My sohc runs good mid 15s should i do dohc?

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:15 am

From the sounds of it, your SOHC it put together nicely.. So Unless you have a 2.4L Block, why swap?

DOHC (especially the 2.4) block has a lot more Horsepower and Torque Potential than the SOHC... It's been proven.
DOHC > SOHC and most agree to that.
Reasons?
Well, there are a LOT more performance parts for the DOHC.
Also, the 2.0 dohc and 2.4 have a lot of interchangeable parts such as Head (cams), Exhaust, intake, Cam gears (stock) and more...
An extra rotating force to make the intake and exhust have their own cam shaft allows you to fint tune it better than any sohc. Unless you have a custom cam made... But as I said, unless you are doing a 2.4, I'd stick to the 2.0 SOHC you have now.

My $0.02
Last edited by BaLLisTiK on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boostless_98 wrote:I want to hear wat everyone has to say on the idea of right hand drive neon conversion. I know it can be gotten from australia.
Ianguilly wrote:Just drive from the passenger side.

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:35 pm

:withstupid: the sohc is great, but it is limited on options.
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!

srt4eh
1GN Registrant

Post by srt4eh » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:27 pm

srt injectors are way too big for any swap you plan to do unless you're going boost
98 Neon R/T, 00 Neon, 06 Jeep GC SRT-8

nuklhed074
1GN Registrant

Post by nuklhed074 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:03 pm

srt4eh wrote:srt injectors are way too big for any swap you plan to do unless you're going boost
yeah thats my only problem even with the safc still useless.. anyone wanna trade for some smaller ones? ;) i do want to do a 2.4 bottom end but i was going to do that on down the road for money purposes i like my sohc but i do have the ported dohc and i know it opens alot of doors i just want a difference after the work involved, ya know?

Shanks
1GN Registrant

Post by Shanks » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:02 am

i have a cam in my sohc, when i boost i wont be using the cam due to swaping to a dohc head. i wish i could use my cam its made to mandle nos and turbo setups. i like sohc better low end. my suggestion 24lb injectors mopar ecu. i dont have any internal work done to my sohc but clutch, cam, mopar ecu, pacesetter sth test pipe, im not ported but i have a 2000 2g sohc head on a 1g, dont know if thats a dif but it came with a erg del. feels peppy.

wickedgoodneon
1GN Registrant

Re: another swap post.. whatta ya know

Post by wickedgoodneon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:15 pm

nuklhed074 wrote:ok look i have the stuff to do the swap but after a few debates with friends, is it worth it?

i have a 95 4 door no option neon, no ac no ps, with an 02 motor rebuilt at 12k miles and currently has 11k on top of that it runs strong to say the least, dohc pistons tb spacer, auto tb,of course the warm air intake, dynomax header, full 2.25 exhaust and a different muffler, no its not a fart can lol. also i have (not on the car) srt stock injectors and an safc.

now my dohc head is fully ported and polished combustion chambers and all and all redone valves and i just have stock cams. IS IT WORTH IT?
am i going to see or feel a difference now i know i have alot more options with the dohc as for cam choice and what not but going from 10.3:1 to 9.6:1 and gaining the extra rotating force of the other cam which i know is not that big of a drag.

i just dont want to do the work and not get a difference now i am dynoing the car before and after but i want some good insight. or should i stick with the sohc get a 3.94 and an 01 r/t cam? thanks in advance. and please just dont say swap it have a good reason to back it up and not just cause i can have bigger cams.
I had to break it apart to read it. It was kinda just on jumbled mess to me. My break down of your SOHC is as follows
95 4 door no option neon
no ac
no ps,
02 motor w 23k on it
dohc pistons
tb spacer
auto tb,
of course the warm air intake,
dynomax header,
full 2.25 exhaust
a different muffler,
an safc. (uninstalled)

So no head work at all. No cam. IMO you would be lucky to make 120 whp. In a SOHC a good amount of HP is in the Head. You are lacking this.

Your question is the DOHC thats has ported and polish combustion chamber and redone valves with stock cam going to give you more HP than you have now? I would say yes. Reason being is that all of your mods will swap over to your DOHC except the Header(didn't know dynomax made a neon header). Also if your DOHC head is milled .030 this will bump you to right around 10.2:1 compression.

Grab a 3.0 CAI or Iceman intake, a Mopar computer, and an UDP an you would have a pretty decent DOHC motor. Then when you get some more money get some nice cams for the DOHC.

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:24 pm

Sounds about right.
My stock DOHC motor is making 127whp (123tq) with just an Exhaust and Iceman.

Will an UDP push me to 130hp you think?
boostless_98 wrote:I want to hear wat everyone has to say on the idea of right hand drive neon conversion. I know it can be gotten from australia.

wickedgoodneon
1GN Registrant

Post by wickedgoodneon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:42 pm

I dont see any reason not to.

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:44 pm

BaLLisTiK wrote:Will an UDP push me to 130hp you think?
i would say no. an udp doesnt make power. may free up some, quicker throttle response, and better revs, but not more hp.
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!

wickedgoodneon
1GN Registrant

Post by wickedgoodneon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:05 pm

Your just twisting the words now.

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:46 am

So.. Freeing up Some... and quicker throttle response... and better revs will all equal out to a 0 hp gain?

I was told going from 87 octane to 93 octane wouldn't effect my MPG much but I went from 225 mi per tank to 280+ mi per tank...
But I guess the only way to find out is trial and error?

wickedgoodneon
1GN Registrant

Post by wickedgoodneon » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:15 pm

You WILL gain HP to the wheels. What is essentially happening is that instead of the hp being lost to the heavy Accessory pulley it is being allowed to go to the wheels by using a lighter smaller diameter pulley

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:39 pm

I figured as much... Which is why I did not get what 1gnRTturbo was saying.
Everything he said, inadvertently screamed POWER GAIN.. lol

nuklhed074
1GN Registrant

Post by nuklhed074 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:01 pm

yeah i wanted to do some head work to my SOHC but at the time my head was off, i didnt have the time to spare and i was dead set on doing the swap. I want an 01 rt cam and i could port my SOHC like the DOHC and i think i would like the difference and maybe mill the head .010 maybe then it would feel good and it would'nt be as expensive as the swap. because as you see i have a 95 and i found out that some DOHC have the IAT and MAP together and others dont and im worried about that caus ei dont want to get into anything too extensive as in wiring in new sensors and stuff i hsve already done the IAC and TPS. sorry for the rant lol. also the SOHC ran 9.80 in the 1/8th last weekend if that will be a better example of what im workin with