Where to go?

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
Tyler
1GN Registrant

Where to go?

Post by Tyler » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:36 am

Im stuck in a delema. Im not 100% happy with how fast my car is right now. I have everything possible for an N/A sohc w/o going into the bottom end. My two decisions are:

Stay sohc: Get that AFX/R I wanted, get my 60mm tb on, get my Apexi Safc tuned, and then try to fins something else for more power. Suggestions?

Go 2.4L SRT turbo: I have a guy that can put it all on for me. All I have to do is buy the SRT turbo stuff and SRT rods/pistons. Then raise the cash to pay for the motor/ installation of everything.

Which should I do? Im stuck cuz I put tons of hard work on thi motor build but i want more power! If I go 2.4 turboed I can get money back from all the sohc performance parts I can sell. It;s just difficult to really part with my engine, cuz I built it. Kind of a pride thing I guess. Give me suggestions yall.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

DMez
1GN Registrant

Post by DMez » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:40 am

"Stay sohc: Get that AFX/R I wanted, get my 60mm tb on, get my Apexi Safc tuned, and then try to fins something else for more power. Suggestions?
"

then work on the bottom end.

basicly do a complete rebuild minus what you have done already...w/performance parts/oem depending what would suit your driving style and performance needs.
Excellence is a decision you make every day...

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:45 am

But will I actually gain power from building the bottom end...worth all the $$$ when I could be a second faster for less?
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

twiztidklown1
1GN Registrant

Post by twiztidklown1 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:29 am

Its not worth the $ IMO... I have had all 3 setups... My last car was 2.0 SOHC then 2.0 DOHC Then 2.0 dohc turbo.. Now i have 2.4 dohc turbo. Defintally the fastest with the least amount of $$ and work...
98 R/T 2.4 Turbo

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:21 pm

Im not sure its nearly worth it either. I hate to lose the sohc but Im thinking its time to move on. I dont know, you guys keep telling me stuff to keep me thinking.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:55 pm

What are your goals? What does your car currently run and/or dyno?
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

BIGRAM
1GN Registrant

Post by BIGRAM » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:05 pm

2.4 turbo you can't beat it potential, and durability look at the facts

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:12 pm

Secondly, is this your only car or do you have a second vehicle?

I hesitate to recommend going turbo to anyone after all the bullshit I went though with mine, even though I know it was sort of a freak thing. I thoroughly wish I would have stayed all motor at this point.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:48 pm

mine is my DD. I havent ran my car yet. Im going to this spring if I have all the parts still. I think Im gonna stay N/A. And finish it up and get a few show stuff.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:55 pm

I would definitely recommend against forced induction if it is your only car.

2.4 might be an economical and reliable way to get more n/a power.

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:58 pm

naw, if Im going 2.4L Im goin turbo. Ok then, give me some ways of gettin more power outa my sohc. Id like to stay outa the block tho.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:01 pm

decked, ported, polished Magnum head and intake? You're kinda running out of options for n/a SOHC performance while staying out of the block.

What do you have against a n/a 2.4? I seriously considered going that route when I had my '98 SOHC highline.

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:47 pm

Just dont think I'll gain enough for all the work. I dont really feel like timing a N/A 2.4 dohc with cams adn such. Just not realy what Im looking for. My head is decked .030", P&P, vavles reseated and all.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:57 pm

Yeah I don't know what to tell ya, doesn't seem like you can go much further with the SOHC without doing a bottom end. You could still do a Magnum head (P&P preferred), Magnum or aftermarket intake, AFX ECU and a true long-tube header

I still think a 2.4 with small cams and a few other goodies would give you the power you desire without too much work, while still retaining daily-driver reliability.

Diablo0
1GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:10 pm

I'd recommend the 2.4 as well. Even with the Magnum head, head work, intake, ect... the SOHC still wont' put out a whole lot. For what you're look for and keeping it a DD car, I'd say 2.4 as well...
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein