Edit: I looked at 2 R/T's this weekend

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
NinjaneonTurtle
1GN Registrant

Edit: I looked at 2 R/T's this weekend

Post by NinjaneonTurtle » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:22 pm

Okay so I'm going to go look at two 1999 Dodge Neon R/T's this weekend. Both located in Northeast PA. Two seperate dealerships. Have not seen either of them for that matter.

The first one is white coupe, has almost 24,000 miles, original floor mats and books, garage kept, supposedly immaculate and looking showroom condition. they want $6495 for it. its a whole heck of a lot of cash for a neon in the first place. I went on KBB and it turns out the retail value is $5755. I don't know but an 8 year old car with barely even two year's worth of driving on it.. whew.

Link to white R/T

Next is an intense blue coupe. This car was just traded in on a newer vehicle. They didn't even advertise it yet. I have the lack of details, but this one has 61,000 miles on it. They want about $6300 for it. If I go for getting this one I'll be better off I think because I wouldn't have to baby it THAT badly like I would have to with the white one.

As for making the offers on these cars, I am going to go way lower than what they want because its a fricken rip to be paying that much for a stock R/T in my opinion anyway when its only worth a grand less at the max. Might be worth the more $$ for the white R/T.

I just wanted to get some feedback/opinions. My decision is based on the miles, condition or the color anyway. If they're both in about same condition, its gonna suck. I was leaning more towards the blue, so gah I don't know.. The white one is such an opportunity. Thought you guys could help me out with a fricken hard decision. Thanks ahead of time for any replies. Either that or someone pick up one of them so I don't have to pick, :lol:
Last edited by NinjaneonTurtle on Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1998 Neon R/T Coupe
1988 Colt Hatchback

krat0s
1GN Registrant

Post by krat0s » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:31 am

The white will peel :/
-Tom

1995 Dodge Neon SOHC / MTX / AAR Stripes / Brilliant Blisterin' Blue
Enkei / Firestone / Iceman / Pacesetter / Dynomax / Mopar

NinjaneonTurtle
1GN Registrant

Post by NinjaneonTurtle » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:45 am

krat0s wrote:The white will peel :/
thought that was only on earlier neons..
1998 Neon R/T Coupe
1988 Colt Hatchback

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:15 am

The white one sounds super nice. Neither of them are really worth that much money though, especially the blue one. I only paid $3300 for a very clean 59k mile '97 ACR coupe with a few bolt-ons 3 years ago.

3 years ago when I was looking for an ACR I found a platinum (yum) 53k mile ACR coupe at a local dealer for $6800. I managed to talk them down all the way to $3800 and still walked, it had been wrecked at some point causing a slight wierdness with the drivers door/quarter panel alignment and the stock rear Koni on that side had been replaced with a Koni Yellow.

Personally I would not pay more than $4k for the white one, and no more than $3k for the blue one. Even then it would be a bit steep IMO. If they won't take it at first keep trying, eventually they might get sick of the thing taking up space and depreciating on their lot and give in.

And yeah, I am pretty sure the thing with the white paint had been remedied by '98.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

NinjaneonTurtle
1GN Registrant

Post by NinjaneonTurtle » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:45 am

thanks for the info vinny. I'll try to lowball the best I can with it. but we're talking at almost 2 grand difference so I dunno. =/ I might have to try to offer 4500 for the white one and go from there. it is a steal as it is for it. but neons don't stay long on lots in this area so it might be gone.. [shrugs]
1998 Neon R/T Coupe
1988 Colt Hatchback

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:40 am

Thats too much for them. Id try for the White R/T, as it sounds alot nicer and cleaner Im sure. If not you can always find good turboed 1st gens for like $4000...lol
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

NinjaneonTurtle
1GN Registrant

Post by NinjaneonTurtle » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:56 pm

Tyler wrote:Thats too much for them. Id try for the White R/T, as it sounds alot nicer and cleaner Im sure. If not you can always find good turboed 1st gens for like $4000...lol
I'll try for the white r/t, although the blue is just a nice color, no offense to the white neon lovers..

I'm not looking for turbo'd first gens because first off, I didn't do the work myself, which scares me. and second off, I've looked already, and its scary at what's been hacked and chopped on quite a few I've seen. especially being that the turbo r/t I was looking at was all beat up. goes 12 seconds easily, but not for being beat up w/ a painted interior and the fiberglass cracking like that, plus I would have had to put the motor back in it because it was removed.
1998 Neon R/T Coupe
1988 Colt Hatchback

98moparR/T
1GN Registrant

Post by 98moparR/T » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:26 pm

yea I would def talk them down in prices, but its a dealer so idk, my two r/ts I bought from ebay and the org and paid 2k each and am pretty happy with them
Adam

member # 5

04 blue srt4 - tein ss coilovers, dsp tuned, mpx exhaust, agp hardline with greddy type S bov
04 black srt4 - sold
owned 6 other neons and more to come

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:08 pm

vinny is right only go to 4k nothing past 4500 for sure.

26k is low mileage but still we are talking neons.

GET THE WHITE ONE!! :D

white r/ts > all neons ;)

NinjaneonTurtle
1GN Registrant

fricken aye

Post by NinjaneonTurtle » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:40 pm

so I go to look at the white R/T first.. and my first impression is that its immaculate like all hell, shiney, interior is spotless when I tell you spotless. like it just rolled off the lot. the paint around the driver's side keyhole is a little chipped, no big deal.. I'd have to repaint the handle in that spot then clear it again. then I look at the tread on the tires, they're almost slicks. then I look down the side of the car and there's a huge dent above the headlight on the hood, and a huge dent on the fender ontop also. like something fell on it or someone was punching it or something. then there's scratches touched up around where the damage was. so if I bought this car then I would do it the right way and get a new hood and fender because the car is too immaculate not to. plus having to order the stripe kit for the car. they guy wouldn't budge on the price, not even a little bit, although I mentioned it would take about 1,000 or so after tires and all to fix it. but the guy said he was getting the hood and fender fixed, but its 6500 firm. I'm like wtf.

I go to look at the blue R/T, and they were supposedly inspecting the car in the shop and had it on a lift w/ a battery charger hooked to it. the whole car needed to be cut and buffed, badly. it had like 85% tread, woo hoo, but then it had those stupid door edge guards on it, and the paint was chipped on the door edges, including chipped on the jambs down the whole edge. I looked underneath the car and the rear control arms are rusted all the way to the suspension/struts, the exhaust is rusted out, the front suspension is all rusted. and by rusted I mean overly rusted, not surface rust. then, lol, it had no foglights and the wires were hanging out. I mentioned where the foglights were and the guy said that had to be an option from the factory and that to cut production they make bumpers with the holes there whether they have foglights or not. and I said, then it would have a bumper for no foglights, the fogs were standard on this model, and if it didn't come witht hem then why are the wires hanging out. so then he said they'd get foglights for it. they also wanted 6500 for this car. and I looked inside the car and there was a price tag for 7,999! I'm thinking no effin' way anyone was paying that.

So all in all today sucked. I'm going to keep an eye out for the white one and wait for it to sit on the lot and rot until the summertime. then make another cheaper offer of on it. I even went up to 5,000, then 5500 for s&g and the guy wouldn't even take it. After all this crap today I just figure to finish painting my green one and work that SOHC..

ps. I saw a NYG sport sedan today, I drooled over it and that was the only good part.
1998 Neon R/T Coupe
1988 Colt Hatchback

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:49 pm

cash talks ... bring cash with you and show it to him ... he will be nutts to turn any cash you have with you even if it's not his full price. What the kbb at?

NinjaneonTurtle
1GN Registrant

Post by NinjaneonTurtle » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:59 pm

Skill wrote:cash talks ... bring cash with you and show it to him ... he will be nutts to turn any cash you have with you even if it's not his full price. What the kbb at?
I had cash with me! That's what pissed me off. Turns out cash doesn't talk anymore. The KBB for that R/T was 5,555 retail. Its worth 4200 private party value at the most.
1998 Neon R/T Coupe
1988 Colt Hatchback

mr340
1GN Registrant

Post by mr340 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:06 am

These dealers are looking to get top $$ out of these cars because they say R/T on the door. I looked at a 98 R/T sedan a few weeks ago, asking $$ is 5,400. The car has 120k on the clock, ABS light is on, needs 4 tires, exhaust, sunroof not working, and the guy has the balls to say " I'll go to $4,995. Needless to say HE still owns a 98 R/T.

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:59 am

Yeah, those dealers haven't got the memo yet about 1st gens not being worth shit.

Seriously, do not pay $5k for either of those.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

98moparR/T
1GN Registrant

Post by 98moparR/T » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:39 am

go on ebay or something and find an r/t with like 120,000 miles you would pay 2,500 at the most probably less with those miles
Adam

member # 5

04 blue srt4 - tein ss coilovers, dsp tuned, mpx exhaust, agp hardline with greddy type S bov
04 black srt4 - sold
owned 6 other neons and more to come