Cutting springs

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:36 am

BaLLisTiK wrote:I've heard from many Koni Adjustable owners that a good or New set of Koni's with any lowering spring = as good as if not better ride than coilovers.
I've heard differently, I read where people said that their konis with lowering spring blew out after a few months. I'd rather just save up and get coilovers, and not worry if my struts are gonna go that day.
-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, Flame Red, DOHC MTX, Goodies, "Christine X2"

-Neon #6 95 NYG sport coupe SOHC MTX, 1 0f only 527
jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:40 am

Well there's a problem with lowered konis, you still have the strut perch blocking how big of a tire you can run.

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:50 am

Every day driving = Koni's - Normal tires
Racing every other weekend = Coilovers - bigger/wider tires

I don't see spending $1,000+ for something I'm not gonna get full use of. I don't race, and If I were to race even a couple times a year, Koni's would handle it. I know 3 people right now with koni's and have never had a problem. Never blown a strut and all 3 are lowered and 2 of the guys have had coilovers as well. I have talked to many people who love koni adjustables, and not a single person who has had anything bad to say about the struts themselves. I'm sure there are a few people with bad experiences with them, but there aren't many.

Bottom line, I advise you do not cut or heat the springs, from a friend of someone who has experienced both lol Buy Springs or coilovers and do it the right way.
boostless_98 wrote:I want to hear wat everyone has to say on the idea of right hand drive neon conversion. I know it can be gotten from australia.
Ianguilly wrote:Just drive from the passenger side.

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:57 am

I want to get Konis and get the ground control coilover kit. They sell the kit with Eibach springs in the spring rate you want them.

uta_flyinghigh
1GN Registrant

Post by uta_flyinghigh » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:31 am

I have Eibach Sportlines on KYB's on my other Neon and they cope with everyday driving and occasional racing just fine. Oh and BTW that Neon is in northern Africa :-)

So if that setup can cope with African roads it will certainly do on the roads of the US of A.

UTA

wickedgoodneon
1GN Registrant

Post by wickedgoodneon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:10 pm

BaLLisTiK wrote:Every day driving = Koni's - Normal tires
Racing every other weekend = Coilovers - bigger/wider tires
Revalved Koni's and GC coilover springs/sleeves are a better setup for a neon than most coilovers for racing. Full coilovers are actually a better ride for a DD than lowering springs even with Koni's.

And for what its worth wheel offset really dictates tire size

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:19 pm

wickedgoodneon wrote: And for what its worth wheel offset really dictates tire size
How so?

wickedgoodneon
1GN Registrant

Post by wickedgoodneon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:04 pm

The lower the offset of wheel the farther the wheel sticks out the more tire you can run. I know of a guy who is running 275/xx/15's on 15 x 10 inch wheels. He has a Koni/GC setup. But I know he has a wicked offset wheel

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:56 pm

I think backspacing matters more. I know a guy who autocrosses his neon. He has factory challenge car springs, the Koni shocks and he's running 275/35 15s. I don't know his offset, but I know his backspacing is about 5.5" That's about the biggest you should run on a neon. In terms of offset that would actually be about 30mm I think. Considering everything on the wheel.

boogerbaby
1GN Registrant

Post by boogerbaby » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:29 pm

Uh yea offset and backspacing go hand in hand
hello i'm on the intranet

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:33 pm

Not exactly. If the part of the wheel that engages the hub is 2 inches wide compared to another that is 3 1/2 inches, and they have the same backspacing, their offsets are going to be much different.

Boostedpdx
1GN Registrant

Post by Boostedpdx » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:58 am

I disagree about koni on lowering springs being equal to or as good as coilovers. (maybe eGay coilovers) I have been in both. BC coilovers are the best. Just remember they are expensive as hell. I have been toying around the idea of fab'n up my own coilovers using the eGay stuff.

wickedgoodneon
1GN Registrant

Post by wickedgoodneon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:40 pm

2drSRT4 wrote:Not exactly. If the part of the wheel that engages the hub is 2 inches wide compared to another that is 3 1/2 inches, and they have the same backspacing, their offsets are going to be much different.
What??? That makes no sense. The thickness of the wheels hub(where the wheel bolts to the studs) has no effect on offset or back spacing

Offset is the distance from the center the wheel to the mounting face of the wheels hub.

Backspacing is the Distance from the inner edge of the wheel to the wheels hub.

Backspacing is determined by offset and wheel width. A Neons stock wheel are 14x6 with a 40mm offset and has a back spacing of 5.1 inches(129mm). In order to run a 15x10 inch wheel you would need a -10mm offset to achieve a 5.1inch back spacing.

Boostedpdx wrote:I disagree about koni on lowering springs being equal to or as good as coilovers. (maybe eGay coilovers) I have been in both. BC coilovers are the best. Just remember they are expensive as hell. I have been toying around the idea of fab'n up my own coilovers using the eGay stuff.
Koni's with basic lowering springs, Yes I agree, but re-valved konis to match GC coilover sleeves is a more winning application for autox and road racing applications.

Also $1k coil-overs are CHEAP. Most other car enthusiast are spending $1500 to $2k for decent coilovers

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:10 pm

Think about what you just said, and think about how a 3 1/2 inch thick hub vs a 2 inch thick hub would affect that.

wickedgoodneon
1GN Registrant

Post by wickedgoodneon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:21 pm

Are we talking on the car or on the wheel?

If we are talking wheel hub a 2ince vs a 3/12?? I would have to have longer wheel studs