Cam Gear Question

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
klubbhead
1GN n00b

Cam Gear Question

Post by klubbhead » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:02 am

Ive got a pair of AEM cams on my neon but i havent had time to DO the timing. IN the meantime, what do you guys think is the better way to get max performance from them, advance the timing or retard it?
Oh noEs!1! 3.0 intaKe, AeM Cams, PaceSEtter HeaDer, UndErDriVe pulLey, 2 1/4 Exhaust piPinG, HypERgrOundS, 2 oBX BomBERs iN the BaCK

epatchett82
1GN Registrant

Post by epatchett82 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:40 am

What cams do you have?

I thing most people get the max hp from -2 ex and +2 intake. Until you can get to a dyno, I would just leave them at 0,0. You may end up hurting perfromance more than you help it.

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:48 am

leave them at 0 till u can get to a dyno and tune them

98moparR/T
1GN Registrant

Post by 98moparR/T » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:44 am

yep just wait for dyno time
Adam

member # 5

04 blue srt4 - tein ss coilovers, dsp tuned, mpx exhaust, agp hardline with greddy type S bov
04 black srt4 - sold
owned 6 other neons and more to come

vielecustoms
1GN Registrant

Post by vielecustoms » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:58 am

what are you SOHC guys runnin on your cam gear?

aftershock2686
1GN Registrant

Post by aftershock2686 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:43 pm

i got a stock cam gear and a crane 14 cam i havent put it in idk if i should get a sohc head and put it in cux i got magnum springs 2

monkeyman9630
1GN Registrant

Post by monkeyman9630 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:46 pm

leave it at zero. not tuning the cams properly, even if it is minor changes, can leave room for bad things to happen to your engine
-Lugo-

klubbhead
1GN n00b

Post by klubbhead » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:51 pm

everyones saying to leave them at 0 but noone answers the question lol what do YOU guys think is BETTER then? advancing or retarding, or u guys didnt answer because it all depends on current mods?
Oh noEs!1! 3.0 intaKe, AeM Cams, PaceSEtter HeaDer, UndErDriVe pulLey, 2 1/4 Exhaust piPinG, HypERgrOundS, 2 oBX BomBERs iN the BaCK

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:54 pm

klubbhead wrote:everyones saying to leave them at 0 but noone answers the question lol what do YOU guys think is BETTER then? advancing or retarding, or u guys didnt answer because it all depends on current mods?
false we are answering you ... advancing and retarded means + - and we say 0 ... which means no advance and retarding.

:roll:

every car is different get a dyno to find out how different your's is.

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:57 pm

since you have trouble understanding let me post a bunch of quotes i stated in an argument over at the .org ...
Skill wrote:^^ even at that (the same mods) every car runs different and needs it's own settings. You may see a good gain with 3 retard and 1advance while a buddy has the same mods and sees a better gain with 2 retard and 1advance. a lot thins vary. Just get it tuned professionally and you won't have to worry about anything.
Skill wrote:
FyreDaug wrote:The only reason im potentially buying a cam gear is to just drop the power band down a little, im not into making a whole bunch of power, I just want what I have when I want it, not 5K+. Its hopefully going to be on a new(ish) motor with 35k on it. If I can get it for the price I want, it may even pay itself off in increase in fuel mileage, its an auto so its pretty much sitting between 2.5-3 on normal acceleration with the pedal at say 50%, I wouldnt need 50% pedal at 2.5-3 to accelerate if there were more power available down there. Less throttle position + cam timing helping scavenge power = less fuel needing to be burned. Plus its just gonna be with a 95 cam. Im not into power
well if this makes you feel any better unorthodox company reccommends these settings if you were to do it by yourself without a dyno.

for DOHC
retard exhaust 2-3 notches
Advance intake 1-2 notch
Unorthodox Racing wrote:We have found that cam gear setting of 2-3 retard on the exhaust cam and or 1-2 degrees advance on the intake cam gives the best overall performance
results. These setting will offer the most performance improvement throughout the power band. Fine tuning adjustments should be done in 1⁄2 to 1
degree increments until the desired performance is achieved. We highly recommend fine tuning of adjustable cam gears on a chassis dyno. After any
additional modifications are done, after installation, may require re-tuning of the cam gear.

sohc adjustment
Unorthodox Racing wrote:• Cam gear adjustments on SOHC vehicles allow you to increase HP slightly, through camshaft phasing, and shift the engines power-band for the low-rpm
performance (by advancing the camshaft) or high RPM performance (by retarding the camshaft). We recommend that fine tuning of adjustable cam
gears be done on a chassis dyno. Fine tuning cam gear adjustments should be done in 1⁄2 to 1 degree increments until the desired performance
improvement is achieved.
if you want to read the thread over the same arguemnt and see how ppl are saying the same stuff then go ahead and waste ur time..

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t ... ce&start=0

klubbhead
1GN n00b

Post by klubbhead » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:20 pm

hahaha aight, will do, thx for the replys anyways :)

MattD04SRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by MattD04SRT4 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:55 am

vielecustoms wrote:what are you SOHC guys runnin on your cam gear?
In my 95 when I had the 12 in, I ran 4 degrees of advance. You could definitely feel a difference with it there.

DISCLAIMER: THESE WERE MY RESULTS, I HIGHLY RECCOMEND GETTING IT PROPERLY TUNED BY A PROFESSIONAL.
2004 SRT 4 - Mopar Stage One - Mopar Lowering Springs - Mopar (Borla) Cat Back Exhaust - Mopar BOV (removed & for sale) - Oil Pressure and Volts Gauge - To be installed in May(maybe sooner depending on the weather): AGP 50 trim W/ race FMIC and all the other goodies