I need help ASAP! *Update*

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
CgPeon
1GN Registrant

Post by CgPeon » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:50 pm

Well guess what... Turns out nothing is wrong with it supposedly. They towed it and everything, and when they brought it in to the shop, they started it up, and it was fine. :? They ran the OBD scanner and everything and I guess everything was fine..??? I noticed on my way home, I heard this hissing sound coming from the passenger side. It would "hiss" then stop, "hiss" then stop. I remember reading somewhere that it could be the coolant pressure cap? I just had a flush and fill a couple weeks ago, and it has been making that sound even before I had the coolant flush and fill... Ahhh this sucks, I am afraid to drive it to work tonight. :oops: I noticed the check engine light was off too, so they must of unhooked the battery and hooked it back on, who knows they might of not even towed it... :(

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:27 pm

hah weird ...

hissing sound could be your windows needing adjusted unless u specifically heard it coming from the engine bay. Then it could you be your thermostat having no coolant around it, which means it's overheating. Then you will need to find out if the tstat is stuck in open or closed loop to diagnose it. Which usually just comes down to replacing the tstat outright (13 dollar part, make sure it comes with a gasket seal).

Let your car idle and watch it with the hood open ... if it's over heating there will be smoke coming from the tstat area. And your coolant level should be affected. You will only begin to see it overheat when the car comes to a normal operating temp. level or just under it; then your temp gauge will spike, and smoke will come quickly after.

other then that i'm clueless as to what a hissing would be coming from.

acr star
1GN Registrant

Post by acr star » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:07 pm

im telling you pick up a new ECU just in case..it takes 20 min to hange out if you have to. Just keep it and a 10mm socket and ratchet in the car with you. Good luck.

CgPeon
1GN Registrant

Post by CgPeon » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:51 pm

Well guess what... I drove the car to work today and I was coming up to a busy intersection pretty far away and the RPM's dropped and it died. Wouldn't start back up, so I had it towed...again. :x Now its at some shop about 15 miles from home and to top it all off it was hailing outside. :lol: So they are gonna check it out tomorrow...

You think a new ECU would fix it? So far I have had only bad expierences with the 1st gens. :lol: j/p (I am actually growing attached to it through this ass process) This car had a remote start on it, that was put on by the previous owner... The wiring was done really shitty and its easy spliced to the coil pack connector thingy. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I was told that it might be the fuel pump? Ahhh who knows...shit.

About the hissing noise, it went away when I turn off the blower... I will try the t-stat thingy and see whats up... I doubt it was overheating because, well there was no smoke, but wait... I remember one time I was shifting and a bit of somoke came from the hood through the back side. :lol: Ahhhhhhh lsdjklfhalsdgllasdglasdgasdjkgaksdgjklkasdkgasldgjasjkldgjklaskgasg
Last edited by CgPeon on Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acr star
1GN Registrant

Post by acr star » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:10 pm

dude you could be looking at multiple issues. Start with what costs less and eliminate everything. I removed an alarm system from mine cause it was half ass installed. So pull all of that out first. If you are getting a wirking grounding off the coil pack it will sut off fuel pump and blow the pump fuse. check all your wiring and when nothing appears replace the ECU. My first 97 single cam had a wire that kept grounding out across the coil pack and it would shut down the fuel pump. My current 97 2cam had a bad ECU. Check and see if you can hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn on the key and check all fuses and relays. Neons are nitemares sometimes but they are fun to drive when they run. Again good luck hope you get her running.

jrumann59
1GN Registrant

Post by jrumann59 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:47 am

does it happen at a 1/2 a tank of gas or less

CgPeon
1GN Registrant

Post by CgPeon » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:21 am

jrumann59 wrote:does it happen at a 1/2 a tank of gas or less
When the car came out of the shop I had less than a quarter, drove to Desoto, Ks and the beeper thing went on, got gas and filled it up, so the 2nd time it died on me, I pretty much had a full tank. :? All I know is my car is in good hands right now, these guys are really knowledgeable and I told them pretty much everything.

CgPeon
1GN Registrant

Post by CgPeon » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:35 pm

The fuel pump is bad.
$720 something.

$350 fuel pump
$45 for the fuel filter
$66 for the tow and the rest is for labor......

Yeah!!! Month wages down the drain! w00t w00t. :roll: :roll: :roll:

This sucks.

I wonder what other kinds of surprises I am gonna get.

monkeyman9630
1GN Registrant

Post by monkeyman9630 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:12 pm

That sucks man, well atleast it runs now
-Lugo-

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:13 pm

96acr wrote:The fuel pump is bad.
$720 something.

$350 fuel pump
$45 for the fuel filter
$66 for the tow and the rest is for labor......

Yeah!!! Month wages down the drain! w00t w00t. :roll: :roll: :roll:

This sucks.

I wonder what other kinds of surprises I am gonna get.
Jesus!!!!!! You could have bought a fuel pump from Modern for $100! Fuel Filter, last time I checked about 3 weeks ago you couldnt buy fuel filters. They came on the pump and they couldnt be purchased.....
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

acr star
1GN Registrant

Post by acr star » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:17 pm

yep he is correct..filter is a sock on the new pump. I would ask for the old parts back.
My friend I believe its time to buy a haynes repair manual, some good ol Craftsman tools and learn how to do your own repairs.

CgPeon
1GN Registrant

Post by CgPeon » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:00 am

This sucks.
I was stuck in a busy ass intersection and had to have my car removed in 15-20 minutes or I would get a flippin ticket. So the tow truck guy came, put it on his flat bed, and I didn't want him to drive back to my house with it which would cost a big chunk of change, since I was around 18 or so miles from home. He would of then procedded to drop it off at my house and I would have no clue whats wrong with it. Well anyways, there was a huge storm coming in and when we finally dropped it off it started to hail outside with lightning. I told him to drop it off at the nearest auto place and that he did. I am upset with the other place I took it to, and they didn't notice the fuel pump was out... :roll: It could of been anything, my car will run after this... But something else could go wrong... So thats why someone is already interested in buying it this weekend. (I have put it up for sale on craigslist a week ago) If he doesn't buy it, thats fine. I bought the car for $1500 and have already put around $1230 into it after the $720 bill I am gonna be payin tomorrow.

I missed work that day too... I never had a car quit on me before, well the exception of a couple days ago at the movie place..But never in the middle of an intersection... It got me off guard, and I didn't think. I was just thinking aobut getting my car out of the way and not thinking where to get it towed to. :lol: I will atleast be putting in the new valve seals I got.

I know what you mean, I did all the work myself on my 2nd gen, but this had me stumped on what the problem was. So you think they are screwing me over on the fuel pump and the filter? I more than likely think they are screwing me on it. Bastards. I plan to do the work myself, I need to buy more tools, I already have some, but they are cheap, "Cummins" tools. What ever happened to americna made tools? I need to get an air compressor and a drawer to keep it all organized.