oil filter?

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
racer12306
Administrator

Post by racer12306 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:14 am

Archametes wrote:Is it true that once you use a full synthetic oil you can not use regular oil? I was told that it'll cause the seals to harden and then they will leak. I haven't wanted to try it myself to find out and I've heard yes and no answers. Has anyone here done it that would know?
absolutly 100% false. you can switch back and forth as often as you like. i know a lot of people run synthetic in the winter and regular in the summer.
chrono_killa wrote:is there a certain size i need to get or do they pritty much come in 1 size
you need to get the filter that will thread onto your car. if you want to get the small filter look up your car in the filter books. but it you want the fatter filter look up a 2003 dodge ram 5.7l v-8. these two filters WILL fit your car

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:20 pm

The Mopar "409" filter is the correct filter for all 2.0's. The "409 is just the last three in the part number. The "090" is the larger "fat filter that is used on 3.8's, 3.3's, 3.9's, 4.7's, 5.2's, 5.9's ,5.7's, 3.5's and 2.7's. I personally use the tall filter which comes on Liberty's and turbo 2.4's...... I'm just very careful around speedbumps and potholes. And when I'm in a bind , I use the cheap ass Wally's world filter which is part #3600.
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

racer12306
Administrator

Post by racer12306 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:13 pm

if you are interested in a tall and fat filter look up a 1994 ford f150 4.9l 6 cyl.

why do you use the tall filter when you can get the same/similar capacity from the fat filter and not worry about the speedbumps and such.
Please PM or email me if you see any issues with the site.

racer12306@2gn.org

neoncrazy101
1GN Registrant

Post by neoncrazy101 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:31 pm

just out of curiousity, how good are Fram filters? cause thats what i use cause i like the grips at the end.

sandstone
1GN Registrant

oil filters

Post by sandstone » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:09 pm

Below is some info from neons.org: http://faq.neons.org/faq/FAQ_MAINT.html#filter:

2.2.3 What oil filter should I use?

The Neon originally shipped with a large filter (Mopar p/n?). This was changed to a smaller filter (Mopar p/n?) by a TSB applying to all Neons. Due to the filter's placement, the large filter is vulnerable to damage, since it hangs down below the frame crossmember. Some people prefer to use the larger filter because of its additional element capacity, but Chrysler thought it was important enough to issue a TSB about.
Mopar's filters include an anti-drainback valve to stop oil from collecting in the filter when the engine is off. Dealer pricing varies from reasonable to ridiculous, however, so shop around. Some other manufacturers and part numbers are listed below:

Smaller filter: Fram PH-3614, Mobil M1-102

Larger filter: Fram PH-16

Personally, I like Mobil M1-102 or K+N HP 1002, both of which have had great reviews from several sources.

racer12306
Administrator

Post by racer12306 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:27 pm

neoncrazy101 wrote:just out of curiousity, how good are Fram filters? cause thats what i use cause i like the grips at the end.
if you want the grippyness go with the advance auto house brand. grippy texture at $2.50 each, and a lot of times they run buy one get one.

imo...
im not the biggest fan of fram filters. it is cheaply made. it costs ~$3.50 for that filter. you can get a filter that is much better made for the same price (purolator premium plus). using a fram will not kill your engine, most people will rocommend against using them though.

fusion210
1GN Registrant

Post by fusion210 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:37 pm

m1-204 ftw

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:06 pm

racer12306 wrote:if you are interested in a tall and fat filter look up a 1994 ford f150 4.9l 6 cyl.

why do you use the tall filter when you can get the same/similar capacity from the fat filter and not worry about the speedbumps and such.

Talls are what they originally shipped with in early 95 so I feel a little "old School" when I use them.... :D
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

sweetcorn_w00t
1GN Registrant

Post by sweetcorn_w00t » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:12 pm

Diablo0 wrote:
krat0s wrote:There was a huge post on th .org from this...use AC Delco if you can't get Mobil 1. That is all.

Mobil 1 for oil, though I use GTX.
I heard that too and Ed Peters really pushes them or he did but I think he said that their quality was slipping a little. I forget who he said makes a good filter now but his best advice is buy a oil filter cutter so you can open them up to inspect them. Check the quality of the filter media, how well it's spaced, the type of bypass valve, thickness of the case, ect. I think another one he recommended was actually Super-Tech which is the walmart brand filter.

I personally use K&N on my cars since I took possession of them and that is another one he recommended as being one of the better ones.

Oil though, I run Mobile1 Full-Synthetic
I'm downloading my video from the Ed Peters tallk right now; and it's the oil filter one, so I'll let you know.
an undiscovered meme

Diablo0
1GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:15 am

Good Deal, Thanks Ben! I should have brought my camera with me last year but I forgot it and I wouldn't have had enough video tapes to record everything that he covered :lol:
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein