Overheating

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Overheating

Post by afireinside4848 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:29 pm

One day while I was driving my car started to overheat. Over the days it progressively did it quicker and quicker. I changed the rad cap, thermostat, CTS, all new coolant. Theres no air in the system. The car runs perfectly fine even when the needle is spiked, meaning id doesn't chug or try to stall. It doesn't have any leaks. Relays and fuses are good. The needle will spike within minutes of driving. Coolant level is fine, It sometimes will end up bubbling in the resevior and sometimes sends coolant into the resevior from the rad, but doesn't seem to want to suck any back in, but when I check it only needs like 2 ounces. I know that when the coolant doesn't go from the resevior to the rad its the rad cap, but it will go from the rad to the resevior. Keep in mind the cap was from a pick-n-pull yard so theres a small chance its bad but I doubt that. My big questions is the fan. It only kicks on when the needles spikes to the top....

- Right now im pushing just a lil over 300 HP, thinking about upgrading turbo charger and putting a 6spd tranny in - LMFAO

- Only took 4 transmissions to make me relize I need to take it easy cause its just a neon -

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD
2.4L Turbo Project Neon Soon Under Way

Dennisc
1GN Registrant

Post by Dennisc » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:18 am

do a cylinder leak down test on all the cylinders you may have a bad head gasket.
if you aint first yer last
1999 Dodge Neon R/T ICEMAN,UDP,ATX TB,MPP PCM

uta_flyinghigh
1GN Registrant

Post by uta_flyinghigh » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:15 pm

Yep, that definitely sounds like a blown hg.

UTA

sabu
1GN Registrant

Post by sabu » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:01 pm

x2 on hg.

bubbling ain't good lol. that means air is getting in from somewhere and if there is nothing external...internal :(

good luck!
1997 Plymouth Neon Sport - Daily Driver
1998 Dodge Neon EX - Turbo, MegaSquirt
Bzevey wrote:Its just....JUST!!! WTF IS JUX???

JUST because you're deaf doesn't mean you're fucking blind

and that goes to anyone

afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Post by afireinside4848 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:30 pm

So your all saying that air can get in, but coolant won't leak out if has a bad head gasket? And how would I go about this test?

Also I'm still confused on the rad fan part, only thing I can think of is since I used to have 2 fans for my A/c I removed one and then I wired the fan to the backup fan wires, if it is a seperate wiring for when it needs the second fan. The fan is wire to the green and black wires.

And is this a "don't drive till you fix it or you will fuck something else up" type of thing?

- Right now im pushing just a lil over 300 HP, thinking about upgrading turbo charger and putting a 6spd tranny in - LMFAO

- Only took 4 transmissions to make me relize I need to take it easy cause its just a neon -

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD

mahifish
1GN Registrant

Post by mahifish » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:50 am

why the hell would you want to drive on a blown head gasket?

afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Post by afireinside4848 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:23 pm

Cause before I knew what was wron with the car, it drove fine. And in order to fix it I will have to drive to the store and the place for the test.

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD

Dennisc
1GN Registrant

Post by Dennisc » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:53 pm

dirve it long enough and you'll overheat it, im in the middle of doing a head gasket for a guy now and I have to get a new cylinerhead cause it warped it like a pringle
if you aint first yer last
1999 Dodge Neon R/T ICEMAN,UDP,ATX TB,MPP PCM

sabu
1GN Registrant

Post by sabu » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:01 pm

coolant is most likely entering the combustion chamber on one of the cylinders and its not getting to certain parts of the head. which in time will warp the head. best thing u can do is not drive.
1997 Plymouth Neon Sport - Daily Driver
1998 Dodge Neon EX - Turbo, MegaSquirt
Bzevey wrote:Its just....JUST!!! WTF IS JUX???

JUST because you're deaf doesn't mean you're fucking blind

and that goes to anyone

uta_flyinghigh
1GN Registrant

Post by uta_flyinghigh » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:09 pm

MMMmmmmmmmm Pringles :-)

UTA

afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Post by afireinside4848 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:10 pm

Ok did a test, pressure is fine. Changed my oil also and nothing in there. Ran it with the center piece out of the thermostat and still happens. I'm thinking its clogging somewhere, could it be possible its clogging in the engine? I'm going to drain it and run a hose threw everything if thats the case cause I'm stumped.

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD

sps20racer
1GN Registrant

Post by sps20racer » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:25 am

Check your main ground wire from your battery to your starter. My car was doing the exact same thing. The needle said it was overheating but everything was fine. I found that my main ground wire was severly corroded around the connection to the starter. I replaced that and no further problems from it.

afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Post by afireinside4848 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:56 am

sps20racer wrote:Check your main ground wire from your battery to your starter. My car was doing the exact same thing. The needle said it was overheating but everything was fine. I found that my main ground wire was severly corroded around the connection to the starter. I replaced that and no further problems from it.
Hmm weird, well my ground to my exhaust manifold isn't connected I'll have to throw that back on and my starter has been just barely cranking since the day I worked with the exhaust manifold stuff, not to mention no gorund on the trans lol.

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD

afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Post by afireinside4848 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:44 pm

Flushed everything out, nothing seems to have clogged it but its fixed, fans runs and it takes coolant from the resevior. Idk what I did since there wasn't much dirt or anything in the coolant. Only other thing I did was reconnected my heatshield ground, which fixed my starters barely working.

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD

mahifish
1GN Registrant

Post by mahifish » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:12 am

Glad to hear it wasnt a HG