neon questions

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
MINIHEMI
1GN Registrant

neon questions

Post by MINIHEMI » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:54 am

hello all, bout to go to the junkyard soon figured i'd get this out of the way

1. how heavy would a SOHC or DOHC neon engine be (basically everything minus exhuast setup, axles, wires. but with a tranny auto or manual)
2. could two people carry this engine tranny combo?
3. is my neon gonna be strained due to the weight and me bringing it home?
4. is there an FAQ on removing the dashboard if so where
5. if not how hard is it to remove?
6. tilt streering column, is that hard to remove?
7. could you remove the engine with just hand tools?
8. front fenders and doors...are they hard to remove?
that is all, going to the junkyard in two weeks time, can only use handtools and i am able to bring in a dolly to carry stuffs out, so any advice/imput would be great
p.s. i can bring a differant vechicle other then my neon to bring the engine back if it will be too heavy
thank you
MOPAR FOREVER

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:45 am

2. possibly
4. no
5. ive never done it but it cant be too hard
6. yes
7. more than likely not.. i would think you would need a engine hoist
8. no quite easy actually
good luck!
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

vielecustoms
1GN Registrant

Post by vielecustoms » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:09 am

Engine and trans? depends on how strong you guys are I guess. me and my father pulled the engine by hand and put it into his lifted truck.

the dash is easy the plastic comes off with mostly screws than their are bolts under the center console (you can get em with out takeing the console out but it is a pita, and another 2 on each end. The hardest part about the dash is working around the wireing loom but if your at the jy and dont care it'd probally be easiest to cut it if need be

Tilt steering was easy exept for the peice that clamps around the part that goes through the floor rusted together took some influenceing to get out.

MINIHEMI
1GN Registrant

Post by MINIHEMI » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:07 am

vielecustoms wrote:Engine and trans? depends on how strong you guys are I guess. me and my father pulled the engine by hand and put it into his lifted truck.

the dash is easy the plastic comes off with mostly screws than their are bolts under the center console (you can get em with out takeing the console out but it is a pita, and another 2 on each end. The hardest part about the dash is working around the wireing loom but if your at the jy and dont care it'd probally be easiest to cut it if need be

Tilt steering was easy exept for the peice that clamps around the part that goes through the floor rusted together took some influenceing to get out.
lol i can bench 250lbs, and will have a strong lady friend with me...don't know how much she can lift but i think we could manage together

so far as an engine hoist, the car will probley be ontop of another car...
MOPAR FOREVER

APN
1GN Registrant

Post by APN » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:03 pm

Lets just say the trans is the light part. I can lift the trans by myself easy and cary it, and I'm only 140 avg.
APN wrote:
Jordan2.4 wrote:Apn...please make a new sig with pictures of your car CLEAN...i am tired of looking at the dirt...
That's called chipping paint son. Get some glasses. 8)

neoncrazy101
1GN Registrant

Post by neoncrazy101 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:13 pm

i know the 5-spd is only around 90lbs. i can lift it a little. and i heard that the engines are around 200-250

vielecustoms
1GN Registrant

Post by vielecustoms » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:06 am

yeah lifting the just engine straight up out of the engine bay with my father was fun. at least when I go to yank it this time for the 2.4 I have my john deere so I can stick the bucket over it and winch it off that.

acrclonetrooper
1GN Registrant

Post by acrclonetrooper » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:31 pm

ENGINE: two people can carry an engine pretty easily. me and a friend recently picked one up off the ground (well it was sitting on a tire) and put it in the back of a truck. tranny your should be able to carry on your own. especially if you can bench 250!
-you should have no problem driving with both in your car
-not very hard to remove at all
-and the best way to remove the motor is to drop it onto a big tire...and lift the car over it. (again recently did this with hand tools it my driveway. took us like a day...we also cut the car into 30 pieces sooooo. you should have no problem!)

FENDERS & DOORS: very easy to remove. if you have never done it you may have a problem finding the bolts. the hardest ones to get too are way underneath next to the door (get the haynes and your problem is solved) only thing is the doors are amazingly suprisingly heavy.

MINIHEMI
1GN Registrant

Post by MINIHEMI » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:33 pm

acrclonetrooper wrote:ENGINE: two people can carry an engine pretty easily. me and a friend recently picked one up off the ground (well it was sitting on a tire) and put it in the back of a truck. tranny your should be able to carry on your own. especially if you can bench 250!
-you should have no problem driving with both in your car
-not very hard to remove at all
-and the best way to remove the motor is to drop it onto a big tire...and lift the car over it. (again recently did this with hand tools it my driveway. took us like a day...we also cut the car into 30 pieces sooooo. you should have no problem!)

FENDERS & DOORS: very easy to remove. if you have never done it you may have a problem finding the bolts. the hardest ones to get too are way underneath next to the door (get the haynes and your problem is solved) only thing is the doors are amazingly suprisingly heavy.
excellent cause essentially i am taking the engine to a dolly, and pulling it to my car which is gonna be about a km away...there a lil bit of jerks so far as the rules
MOPAR FOREVER

chipdogg
1GN Registrant

Post by chipdogg » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:12 pm

Steering column isn't hard to remove really, hardest part is separating it from steering rack. Hard as hell to get to with engine in the way.

Dash??? Have fun, we had trouble removing the dash in my white car and that one we didn't care about...
'97 black ACR coupe- #3 - Scrappy
'96 black coupe- #4
'97 magenta coupe- #10 - 13.379 @ 101.07 mph
'04 SXT mtx - #45 - GF's DD
'96 ACR
'95 Astro Van
'11 Chevy Express
'02 atx - #48
'98 Intense Blue R/T - #49
'04 SRT-4 - #50
'99 Intense Blue R/T - #51

52 and counting, when will it stop?

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:15 pm

I never found removing the dash all that hard if you take your time.

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

acrclonetrooper
1GN Registrant

Post by acrclonetrooper » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:31 am

word dash should be easy. especially with the haynes manual. nothing on a neon is really hard to work on. really really true if your going from stock to stock. like i said in the pm the only thing i would be worried about that far north is rust. other than that man you really shouldn't have any problems

MINIHEMI
1GN Registrant

Post by MINIHEMI » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:29 pm

i love you guys...so full of informating
i'm replacing the doors and fenders due to rust...lol
theres some weird rust spots on the body to :shock:
door sill, under the gas filler hole....(technical name?)
MOPAR FOREVER

neoncrazy101
1GN Registrant

Post by neoncrazy101 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:30 am

MINIHEMI wrote:, under the gas filler hole....(technical name?)
my green Neon started rusting there. but that was due to my dad spilling gasoline and now wiping it up.

Bzevey
1GN Registrant

Post by Bzevey » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:59 pm

you think these guys are informative try the search on the www.neons.org