Headlight cleaning.

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
CgPeon
1GN Registrant

Headlight cleaning.

Post by CgPeon » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:49 pm

I am new to the 1st gen community and I noticed my headlights are nasty as hell. I really don't want to spend $120 plus on a new set. I just want to clean them out. I want them to look new and be able to actually see inside the headlight. The turn signals are pretty bad too. :?

Any ideas on how to clean these buggers out?

Thanks.

vielecustoms
1GN Registrant

Post by vielecustoms » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:39 pm

if they are yellow/ Hazy on the outside get some aluminum polish (I used mothers) and a rag ( or buffer but be careful around the rubber gasket around the light) and polish it and it cleans up real good. I did that on my neon and the windshield on my ZX 10. the window was so yellow you couldn't even see through it I was going to toss it and get a new one but it cleared right up with the aluminum polish and some elbow grease!

also you can use this on your taillights and indicators it makes em look brand new and shiny.

rdhzrd62902
1GN Registrant

Post by rdhzrd62902 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:41 pm

another thing that worked pretty good for me was meguiars plastiX works even better with a buffer
99 R/T iceman intake,UR UDP, solid mm's, depos, and some cruzer rims

fast4door171
1GN Registrant

Post by fast4door171 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:42 pm

yea same i used meguiars plastX and they turned out really good when i has stock ones i woudl recommend that for sure.

CgPeon
1GN Registrant

Post by CgPeon » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:25 am

Any pictures what they look like when they are done? Does it pretty much make them look like new?

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:02 am

This is from when i still had my stock headlights
Skill wrote:now i've been real weary about using headlight restoring products just because i don't think they will ever work.

WRONG .. picked up a small kit for 6 bux at walmart said what the hell lets give it a go.

pictures speak for themselves.

Here is the day i bought it

Then here is the restored headlights!

Here is the manufacture's website from the product i used.
http://www.customchemicalpkg.com/headlight.html

Seems like they are selling it for 13 bux on their site, but walmart had it for 6.98 i think was the actual price.

Took me 5-10 minutes with a power drill and a spray bottle.

APN
1GN Registrant

Post by APN » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:06 am

That stuff did not work for me very well when I used it.. The pads ate themselves up on the little plastic posts on the headlights and if you don't get them on the holder right in the middle, it shakes all over on the drill.. It did clear mine up quite a bit though..

I should try it again soon.
APN wrote:
Jordan2.4 wrote:Apn...please make a new sig with pictures of your car CLEAN...i am tired of looking at the dirt...
That's called chipping paint son. Get some glasses. 8)

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:21 am

that's why u go around the plastic tabs ....

shakes all over the drill? They are secured inside the locking bit of the drill. 1 pad can go both headlights i still have 2 left out of the 6 the give you and i've used it on my headlights/fogs, dads beater truck, and sister's car.

APN
1GN Registrant

Post by APN » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:24 am

Skill wrote:that's why u go around the plastic tabs ....

shakes all over the drill? They are secured inside the locking bit of the drill. 1 pad can go both headlights i still have 2 left out of the 6 the give you and i've used it on my headlights/fogs, dads beater truck, and sister's car.
I used every pad and accidentally hit the pad on the tabs almost every time.. Maybe mine weren't wet enough.. I know.. I was talking about on the face of the lens when pushing down with the drill it tended to shake on me a bit when the pads were off-center when they got stuck onto the 'bit'.
APN wrote:
Jordan2.4 wrote:Apn...please make a new sig with pictures of your car CLEAN...i am tired of looking at the dirt...
That's called chipping paint son. Get some glasses. 8)

CgPeon
1GN Registrant

Post by CgPeon » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:32 am

Skill wrote:This is from when i still had my stock headlights
Skill wrote:now i've been real weary about using headlight restoring products just because i don't think they will ever work.

WRONG .. picked up a small kit for 6 bux at walmart said what the hell lets give it a go.

pictures speak for themselves.

Here is the day i bought it

Then here is the restored headlights!

Here is the manufacture's website from the product i used.
http://www.customchemicalpkg.com/headlight.html

Seems like they are selling it for 13 bux on their site, but walmart had it for 6.98 i think was the actual price.

Took me 5-10 minutes with a power drill and a spray bottle.
Looks good and for $6 bucks!!

neoncrazy101
1GN Registrant

Post by neoncrazy101 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:39 am

I used just cheap Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound and polish on mine. 20 min. later and they looked great. but the haze came back in like 2 months...not as bad but still came back.

rdhzrd62902
1GN Registrant

Post by rdhzrd62902 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:21 am

im sure whatever you do to the headlights the foggyness is gonna come back but probbably not as bad
99 R/T iceman intake,UR UDP, solid mm's, depos, and some cruzer rims

Whodini
1GN Registrant

Post by Whodini » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:15 am

before you polish them with a wheel polisher, take a dremel tool, and you can cut off them 3 little nibs on each of the head lights, and then polish them. when your done you cant even tell they ever were there. i did this and they came out great! and they look alot cleaner without them 3 little nibs on them. use 400 sand paper to smooth them out before polishing.
~96 Plymouth Neon 2 Door Coupe ~A Little Show & A Little Go~

vielecustoms
1GN Registrant

Post by vielecustoms » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:06 am

mine came out about the same as Skill (above) I don't have pics, but my headlights were way worse! it was completely foggy and yellow. It was probally blocking 75% of the lights

robert 'bob' paulson
1GN Registrant

Post by robert 'bob' paulson » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:05 am

here's from where i did mine last September.
Robert 'Bob' Paulson wrote:i had to run to Walmart to grab a few things for the new Neon, and my GF noticed this stuff called CV Headlight Restorer/Defogger. here's a pic.

now, i wasn't thinking too much about it but it was only $20, so i thought what the hell.

before pic

same headlight 10 minutes later.

that should make light output just a little better.
i did the rubbing compound fix before and it only lasted two or three months. i just went out and took a picture of it and maybe its just me, but i think it still looks pretty good.