Camshaft/Crankshaft relearn procedure

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
sandstone
1GN Registrant

Camshaft/Crankshaft relearn procedure

Post by sandstone » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:52 pm

I installed a new timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and idler pulley on my daughter's 97 neon DOHC last week and it runs fine. However, a mechanic told me that I need to take it in to a Dodge dealer to have the Camshaft/Crankshaft relearn procedure done. Do any of you know about this? What is it, and why does it need to be done?

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:02 pm

no your fine don't listen to him.

If you installed them sucessfully then your fine.

plymouth_neon_1998
1GN Registrant

Post by plymouth_neon_1998 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:23 am

If it's installed correctly, runs correctly, and doesn't trip a code 11, you're fine. No need for relearn.

In fact, there should almost /never/ be a need for a relearn. The cam/crank phasing should be almost exactly the same when the timing belt is reinstalled. If it isn't, then it's off by a tooth or more--and you'll get a code 11 (and low power, crap running).

sandstone
1GN Registrant

Post by sandstone » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:48 am

What exactly is the Camshaft/Crankshaft Relearn Procedure? The mechanic I got this information from led me to believe it was something done to the PCM via a "scanner" used by the dealership. The mechanic didn't actually see the car, he's just an acquaintance in a hiking club I belong to and I told him about my working on my daughter's neon. After he told me that I need to take the car to the dealer to have a "relearn" procedure done, I thought I'd mention it on this forum, since I'd never heard of such a thing before.

The neon that I changed the timing belt on runs great. I just put on the new belt and other items mentioned in my first post because the car had 110,000 miles, not because there were any problems. There were no CEL codes before or after the belt change.

My daughter bought this car at a used car dealer around Thanksgiving of last year, and I think that she got one of the best deals I've ever heard of. It's a 97 Plymouth neon expresso with flawless original flame red paint, no dents or nicks, DOHC engine runs fantastic, smooth shifting ATX, like-new tango agate interior and fantastic handling. And she paid only $1,900 for the car!!!!
ImageImage

plymouth_neon_1998
1GN Registrant

Post by plymouth_neon_1998 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:06 pm

The learn/relearn procedure tells the PCM "HEY, look at the relative position of the camshaft and crankshaft! That's how it's supposed to be! If it changes, bad things are happening."

As long as you installed the timing belt correctly, the cam and crank are still aligned and the PCM sees that as being close enough to the previously learned position relationship that it doesn't set a trouble code.

The limit before the PCM sets a code 11 is something less than 1 tooth worth of difference, so it's hard for it to wind up far enough off to matter.

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:11 pm

The only time you should have to do the relearn stuff is when the PCM is replaced. And I mean replaced with a reman Mopar one that has never been flashed. The "relearn" is just someone hooking up a DRBIII (i.e. chrysler's scanner) and resetting the relationship of the cam and crank within the Pcm. Not really a big deal but not really needed alot either......
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

9DVD6HD8
1GN n00b

Post by 9DVD6HD8 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:33 am

If it isn't, then it's off by a tooth or more--and you'll get a code 11
Each man is the architect of his own fate.buy dvds cheap australia