New here. 96 sohc coupe from GSO, NC

Welcome to 1GN.org... Tell us a little bit about yourself and your car if you'd like.
isotopes4
1GN n00b

New here. 96 sohc coupe from GSO, NC

Post by isotopes4 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:20 am

Hi guys. Im Michael & im becoming a Neon-aholic. I own a 1996 Plymouth Neon. I bought it a little over a year ago to save gas & mileage on my 2005 Ram. Its a one owner 2 door coupe. when i bought it it was that hideous pink color. Last month I was hit twice. one lady took out my left fender & the next lady took out the right fender, headlight hood & bumper. My friend owns a body & paint shop so i dropped it off with the instructions to "have fun" not knowing what i would get back.

I chose this car because its a small economical car. when i bought it it had 59,000 miles on it. It has 64,000 miles on it now. So far it has been reliable, with only one minor repair. the automatic transmission selector handle had a small piece break & i just replaced the whole selector unit. The part cost a whopping 35 bucks for the part on ebay.

Its easy to work on. Im mechanically minded (but have no training in auto repair) & with the help of a haynes manual i have replaced the auto transmission selector on my car & the starter & alternator on my sisters 1996 Neon. i have also replaced all the speakers, the head unit & added a 400 watt amp & one 10 inch subwoofer to my neon.

The AC blows hard & cold, but it requires a 1-2 bottles of r-134a per summer.

isotopes4
1GN n00b

Post by isotopes4 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:20 am

Here are some pics:

at the body shop:

primed:

sprayed:

he put some striping on the hood:

and on the trunk:

Heres a side shot of the finished car!

the wheels are the stock steelies painted black with a red pinstripe. He also painted the underside of the trunk lid, door jambs & engine bay matte black!

NCNeon
1GN Registrant

Post by NCNeon » Wed May 12, 2010 7:28 am

looks good man, i want to take my side moldings off. welcome
99 SOHC Highline: MTX Swap, 3.0L CAI, Muffler, PS AC Delete, Neongoodies Semi-solid Adjustable Bobble Strut, Booger Shift Booshings, Motor Mount Inserts

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Wed May 12, 2010 8:06 am

Love black and red wheels
-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, Flame Red, DOHC MTX, Goodies, "Christine X2"

-Neon #6 95 NYG sport coupe SOHC MTX, 1 0f only 527
jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Wed May 12, 2010 3:41 pm

strawberry is one of my favorite colors!!! what color did you end up painting it though? looks plat? not a fan of the pin striping.. i think it looks tacky on neons. they dont have a body designed for it.. also the logo sits directly on top which adds to the tacky look imo.
otherwise clean car. steelies looks nice!
sounds like it needs a mtx swap though! 8)
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

subzero
1GN Registrant

Post by subzero » Thu May 13, 2010 3:30 pm

is that a 280zx getting painted by ur neon in the 4th pic? i know its a old z car just not sure if its teh 240, 260 or 280