How-To: Aftermarket Stereo Install

Fraz
1GN Registrant

How-To: Aftermarket Stereo Install

Post by Fraz » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:00 pm

**DISCLAIMER: I am not held responsible for any of your mistakes of any sort. These are step by step instructions on how I repaired my aftermarket mp3 deck**

Now, I already had an aftermarket deck in to begin with, nothing great, but I figured for those of you who want to buy one and install it yourself, you can save quite a bit of money. Here is my write up with pictures and directions. Hope you enjoy, feel free to comment anything to make my future write up's better :D

First off, you may want to disconnect your battery. I never did but for those of you who want to just to be safe, it may be a good thing to do.

Secondly, here are the tools you will need to complete this first task of taking off the trim and plate.

Wire cutters and a 10mm socket

Once you have your tools, you will need to take out the cig lighter and your ashtray. You may not have to, but it makes it alot more easier and more room for you.

Once you have these removed, you will want to start to pry off the trim with your fingers. The next 3 pictures will show you how to do this.

Once you get the trim off you will have something that looks like this:

Now get out your 10mm socket and take out the two screws that hold the stock deck or your trim kit in place.

After you have rmeoved the screws, gently pull out the stock deck or your aftermarket deck.

Once you have pulled it out, disconnect all your wires.

Now, the pictures above, the wires have been cut by the former owner of the car. If you look closely he hardwired it to begin with and then re connected his work. I recommend that you DO NOT hardwire your system to the car and use your wiring harness. This write up was for myself to repair the wires that the origional owner screwed up. Lets continue...

Now you have the deck out and all your wires ready to be connected or disconnected. The tools you will need for this are shown in the picture below.

Your compartment will now look something like this..

Now for your wires, you will want to connect or dissconnect what you inetnd to use. Mine origionally werent hooked up properly so I hooked them up with crimps then I taped them with black and red electrical tape.

After this strip and roll your wires so they are perfectly straight.

Now get out your crimps and crimp each colour coted wire together.

There are many kinds of wires, but there are a few you do not need to use such as power antenna, remote antenna and two orange ones on the second harness. You will however need the remote antenna to be hooked up your your antenna wire to your amp if you are running a system so it will turn your amp on and off each time the radio is turned on or off.

Tape up all your crimped wires.

Repeat the first steps and plug back in the wires from your radio or hook up your wires that you connected to the harness (aftermarket) Lastly place your radio and trim back in and screw the plate back in to the mount. Snap back in your trim and plug in your cig lighter and ashtray and viola, you have yourself a new aftermarket deck and or repaired in my case.
Enjoy!! :D

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:26 pm

well done.. very descriptive and ez 2 follow!!

edit: well done.. very descriptive and easy to follow! :lol:
Last edited by Ladi3sman55 on Sun May 11, 2008 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

chrono_killa
1GN Registrant

Post by chrono_killa » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:17 am

cake
BIGRAM wrote:i ain't gay you sucked my dick
My Cars-98 plymouth highline neon, atx, msd coil, 3.0 intake, ebay udp
Future mods- magnum head, magnum header, rims, msd wires, 60mm tb, dohc pistons, 2.5" dual exhaust, modded valvebody, filled mounts, switch to a tach cluster with green leds and some more shit

MarcusJR
1GN n00b

Post by MarcusJR » Sun May 11, 2008 4:48 pm

so i working on putting in a new syste and deck in my neon, but what wires are what? i cant find out a wiring diagra for my neon its a 95 4 dr
Marcus - 1995 Plymouth Neon

iangutjahr
1GN n00b

Post by iangutjahr » Thu May 14, 2009 9:05 pm

Just buy one of the stereo harnesses from Walmart, $9.00, it's all labled and you don't need to cut your stock harness.

warrenj42
1GN n00b

Post by warrenj42 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Just to make it clear the ground wire goes directly to the chassis right?