How- To: Short Throw Shifter install

ShelbyTurbo
1GN Registrant

How- To: Short Throw Shifter install

Post by ShelbyTurbo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:14 pm

Here is a step-by-step how-to on installing a short throw shifter in the first generation Neon. I believe that once you get under the console, 2nd gen's will be similar.

Tools needed..

Step 1
Locate and remove the two #2 phillips head screws near the front cup holders, you will need to use the small flat tip screwdriver or something similar to remove the buttons over the screws.

Also remove the two screws located inside of the console.

Step 2
Move the front seats all the way forward to gain access to the rear of the console. Pry gently and remove the covers on either side of the console to gain access to the two 10mm bolts on each side of the console.

Note: It has come to my attention that Coupes and early first gens may not have the bolts that go through the side of the console, if not, I guess you can skip this step.

Step 3
Pull down shift lever boot to gain access to the two tabs on either side of the shift knob. Use two screwdrivers or coins to pry tabs away from the lever, and pull up on the knob to remove it.

Step 4
Gently remove center console to gain access to the shift boot. Locate tab as indicated in the picture and carefully pull up on the tab to remove the shift boot.

Be careful not to break off the three tabs that attach shifter boot to shift lever housing.

Note: The extra wires seen running along the bottom underneath my console are not typical, and are wires for my satellite radio, and my Alpine amplifier. If you have any leftover fries or change or whatever, now would be a good time to bust out the shop vac and clean up a little bit. ;)

Step 5
Locate and disconnect shift cables from shift lever. If you have the Booger bushings, be sure to pry against the bushing, not the cable end.

Note: These are the famous Booger shift bushings, they attach so well that you will need to use the pry stick to remove them from the shift lever. Stock bushings will be much easier to remove. Now would be a good time to install a set of Booger bushings if you have not already.

Step 6
Locate and use the small flat tip screwdriver to remove the e-clip that holds the left-right moment selector mechanism in place, and remove the selector. It should slide right out

Step 7
Remove the three 8mm nuts that hold the shifter to the base, and remove shifter and shifter housing.

This is a comparison shot of the stock shifter, and the Fidanza Short throw on the right. There is a plastic bushing inside of the aluminum housing that will easily pull off of the old shifter, be sure to re-install it, and grease it up with some white lithium grease or equivalent.

Installation is the reverse of removal, I don't know about the Maddog shifters, but the Fidanza has the lower barb on the shifter pointing in the opposite direction as the stock shifter (to the left, instead of right), if you have Booger bushings you will have to remove the bushing and reverse its direction so it will work with the shifter, it does not interfere with shifting at all. Stock bushings you will not have to do this, as they will snap on in either direction. If you have Booger bushings you will need to use the pliers to snap the bushings back on all of the way.

And that concludes this how-to, now go out there and enjoy rowing through the gears with your new shifter. I personally recommend test driving the car afterward before you replace to console to make sure that nothing interferes and it shifts through all of the gears.
'98 Neon R/T Sedan ------> 15.6 @ 88mph, with a crappy 2.4 60ft.

"If you can't Duck-it, F@#% It!"