HOW TO Swap 2G Dash into 1G Neon

Shanks
1GN Registrant

HOW TO Swap 2G Dash into 1G Neon

Post by Shanks » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:37 am

Well i can give you what i have and hope you get the idea, not many pics where takin from doin this, imo it wasnt really hard. Most of this is off the head as i remember so this can be updated at anytime till completed.
Note at this point it is still under construction to be total fitment but this is best i kno as of today.
Ill upload more pics later i only have these uploaded
your key ignition will brush up against the dash but its workable.
There is a placement for the headlight switch so no worries.
the vents im still working on but for the most part there in.

Parts Include
Top Dash
Center Middle Dash
2 side panals

Hvac control with pigtails
Cig lighter and def section with pigtails
front dash radio cover
glove box
airbag cover

First youll need 2G Dash Complete
You dont need the 2G side panels as it wont fit anyways so use your 1G side panels

If your planning on using the 2G center console you need the break lever also

*2G Dash IS and mostly hard plastic so when removing from the 2G your getting it from dont force it or it will break*
The airbag from the 2G wont fit, and neither will the 1g airbag (Im still working on that)

Once youve gotten all the dash you wanna make sure you get the pigtails for the Hvac and defrost switchs.

Now take apart your entire 1G dash leaving the wiring harness behind. For a Better works i suggest removing the steering wheel, I removed the steering column and had to fight with it getting back in without cracking the bottom part of the dash. When installing the 2G dash its mostly just fitment and a part of the driver side does where the steering column is. there will be a section in the dash where youll have to cut the top because it loops threw the dash, save yaself the trouble and cut it since its scrap anyways. After youve removed the 1G dash the harness should be sitting on some plastic vents and inrolled in tape and plastic covering. remove the tape and the pastic the wiring is sitting in and scrap it. This will give you the need freedom of moving more wiring around when you need it. Retape it in electric tape and let it sit. remove the 1G airbag as it wont fit.

next is with the wiring the hvac and defrost are all color matched so match color wire to same wire color and leave the connection ends be. Nows the mounting part.

start by getting it centerd to match the center of the old dash. slide the top dash cover in till it reached the front, youll know you have a good fitment when it all snaps in. Look in the dash and youl see it kinda centers itself, just make 2 brackets
(You may wanna take it back out to fit the top vent in and the front of the dash. There a portion you have to shave off because it cover some part if the blower section after youve done that put the dash top cover back on)

you will get an idea on here.
I made two brackets and centered itmoving it up or down if the fitment wasnt right.
from this point on you can figure your way to make it more stable as everyone does it a dif way.

the 2G hvac will work, i still havent been able to get the last knob cable to work so i closed the vent from inside. (I dont really use that vent anyway)

The cluster should fit right in but you may have to move some wiring around to fit. You dont need a 2G multufuntion switch as your will work fine for the moment. after youve connected your hvac and center section the headlight switch

I didnt feel like doin all that rewiring and brain straining so i figured a way, simple and clean

As you know the 1G headlight switch is pretty long and has a inside hidden type look so lets fix this in our favor
this is without the plastic cover and cutt just below the turn knob (Pushed all the way in)
Notice i cut three sections to see where it stopped then made my idea of how i wanted to mount it

Inside the 2G dash theres a little screw female end where your headlight would go right below the air duck on the driver side of course
Thats where we will be mounting the headlight switch. Made some extra slack so it would reach

This is how I mounted it

Drilled a hole

the airbag part has a placement at the top to sit, I used two screw to keep the top in and tucked two under the bottom ends to make it unseen.
The glove box must be shaved on the inside part because it hits the frame of the 1G steel dash.
you will need to make a bracket for it to swing on, i cut a piece off the 1G glove box to make one.

The center console fits right in but the 1G break lever must be swapped out. There is no easy way or hard way to do this. but there is a spring you have to fight to get it off and get it back on. Getting the cable off was a lil harder to me then getting it back on but im sure you can figure it out.
Once youve swapped out the break lever the console slides right in as the 1G did simple.

end result

the 1G and 2G columns are the same length so no point swapping,
The steering column needs to extended 2 inchs (Thanks to wvneon98 for the help and info)

Put everything back together is a nobrainer but sorry for the short how to this is at short notice at request.
updated periotically.

jamieely
1GN Registrant

Post by jamieely » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:43 am

Looks good other than the hacked up door panels. I didn't see where you mentioned that part in the how to.
1995 Highline Coupe SOHC MTX.
DOHC Mopar PCM
e85, 30lb injectors, LM-1, SAFC
Custom CAI, 60mm MPx TB, AMM Box Intake, DOHC pistons, built4race UDP
PT Clutch, 3.94 FD
AF/X LTH, High Flow Cat, Spiral Flow, 2.5" piping, Flowmaster 80 series

P&P Magnum head, Crane springs, Crane 007, AEM 3-bolt cam gear almost ready to bolt on

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:40 pm

There is no way around cutting the door panels. You can fiberglass the door panels, but that would be a separate How-To.
boostless_98 wrote:I want to hear wat everyone has to say on the idea of right hand drive neon conversion. I know it can be gotten from australia.
Ianguilly wrote:Just drive from the passenger side.

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:38 pm

Nice work, but i like my door panels too much to do this swap.
-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, Flame Red, DOHC MTX, Goodies, "Christine X2"

-Neon #6 95 NYG sport coupe SOHC MTX, 1 0f only 527
jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

jamieely
1GN Registrant

Post by jamieely » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:40 pm

BaLLisTiK wrote:There is no way around cutting the door panels. You can fiberglass the door panels, but that would be a separate How-To.
I know that, but not everyone does. I was just stating that part is missing from this how to and thought it should be included with a good picture of the cut door panel so someone wanting to do this could get an idea. Just because people can see yours are cut in the picture they may not know that is why. Not trying to be negative just thought it should be included, thats all.
1995 Highline Coupe SOHC MTX.
DOHC Mopar PCM
e85, 30lb injectors, LM-1, SAFC
Custom CAI, 60mm MPx TB, AMM Box Intake, DOHC pistons, built4race UDP
PT Clutch, 3.94 FD
AF/X LTH, High Flow Cat, Spiral Flow, 2.5" piping, Flowmaster 80 series

P&P Magnum head, Crane springs, Crane 007, AEM 3-bolt cam gear almost ready to bolt on

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:44 pm

jamieely wrote:
BaLLisTiK wrote:There is no way around cutting the door panels. You can fiberglass the door panels, but that would be a separate How-To.
I know that, but not everyone does. I was just stating that part is missing from this how to and thought it should be included with a good picture of the cut door panel so someone wanting to do this could get an idea. Just because people can see yours are cut in the picture they may not know that is why. Not trying to be negative just thought it should be included, thats all.
I agree :P Just misunderstood you. A how to for cutting the door panels would be nice, and I believe there is another guy doing this with the glassing/molding of the door panels.
boostless_98 wrote:I want to hear wat everyone has to say on the idea of right hand drive neon conversion. I know it can be gotten from australia.
Ianguilly wrote:Just drive from the passenger side.

Bad97sohc
1GN n00b

Re: HOW TO Swap 2G Dash into 1G Neon

Post by Bad97sohc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:27 am

Does anyone have any pictures of the dash swap cause all I see is white boxes. Does the 2nd gen cluster have one plug or two like my 97 does?
97 SOHC with a DOHC ATX iceman intake TTI longtube header underdrive pulley crane cams #14 AF/X Race Computer 10.5 DOHC pistons and a flowmaster. Coming this spring MTX swap new Syked ECU and a full make over on my 2.0 SOHC or do a 2.4 swap MTX and the 2.4 Sykes 2.4 ECU