How To: Removing Asphalt Based Sound Deadener

Stags
1GN Registrant

How To: Removing Asphalt Based Sound Deadener

Post by Stags » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:21 am

There's two pathways here, and you need to choose which one you want first, before you start.
1.Hot
2.Cold

The hot path requires:
-Heat Gun
-Chizel
-Hammer

Start by heating up the area where you want to remove it, leave the gun pointed at that area for a min or two, or until you see it start to get soft (you can test it with the end of your chizel) then just slide the chizel into the deadener and push until it stops moving. Then throw all of the stuff into a 10 gallon bucket so you can weight it at the end and see how much you removed.

Cold Path:
-Dry Ice
-Chizel
-Hammer
If you want to go the cold way, go to your local Fire Department Supply store or your Science teacher, and ask if you could get some dry ice. BE SURE TO WEAR A HEAVY DUTY THICK GLOVE WHEN HANDLING THE DRY ICE!! Take the dry ice and put it on the surface. It will sizel and make some wierd noises, don't worry. After a half a minute or so, take the chizel and hit it with the hammer, the sound deadener should just break away leaving a nice clean surface.

I also recommend after doing this to take some sandpaper and cleaning up the remaining sound deadener and prepping the area and painting it to avoid rust.
Last edited by Stags on Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1996 ACR Coupe-The Race Car
1999 R/T-The Daily Driver
Mopar Header,Mopar Perf. PCM, Mopar X-High Rates, Iceman CAI, ATX TB, Boogers, Edelbrock SDT Muffler, AFX FMM
1998 Sport Coupe-Project Car- Awaiting Power

RydinSolo
1GN Registrant

Post by RydinSolo » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:36 am

good write up, but where i live you can go to any food store, (Publix,Winn-Dixxie) any one and pick up some dry ice.
98 4 door R/T-
U-N-D-E-R__C-O-N-S-T-R-U-C-T-I-O-N

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Sat May 19, 2007 10:49 pm

i just removed 3lbs of sound deadenor in the rear of my car...

The way i did it first was using my sister's hair dryer and a metal scrapper. That worked fine, but just took me longer then i wanted.

So my next thought was a propane torch!
That thing works wonders. I scrapped off the same ammount as i did with the hair dryer and i did it 2xs quicker.
Just put the propane torch on the spot you want for like 10 seconds then start going at it and it comes right off with no fight.
I suggest keeping a bag close so you can throw all of it in there as you go.
Also suggest still having the hair dryer there also when you get close to wires. You don't want to be using the torch at that part ;).
You will need the hair dryer to get in those tight places that require getting up close to any cloth areas, or wires, and ect...

SuperGus
1GN Registrant

Post by SuperGus » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:24 am

Another good thing I found to clean up the residue after you remove the sound deadener is WD40.

pHrEaK
1GN Registrant

Post by pHrEaK » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:55 am

SuperGus wrote:Another good thing I found to clean up the residue after you remove the sound deadener is WD40.
Or brake parts cleaner, that stuff works wonders on everything. :D

SuperGus
1GN Registrant

Post by SuperGus » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:14 am

Suprisingly the WD 40 works better, I think anyway.

domesticated
1GN Registrant

Post by domesticated » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:37 am

i took 48 pounds out of my car