Crane Hi6-Di2 Ignition Install

infil

Crane Hi6-Di2 Ignition Install

Post by infil » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:33 pm

Ok, first off the wiring diagram.

Coil wires are Dark Blue with Tan tracer, Dark Green with orange tracer, and Black with gray tracer.

Crane wires are Orange, Black, Yellow and Purple on the coil pack side, and White, Red and Green w/ White tracer on the harness side.

First off, I highly reccomend using weatherpack or metripack connections on all engine harness splices. Deustch would be the optimum, but for the cost, its not worth it IMO.

Step1: Decide where to mount. I mounted mine under the cowling at the back of the engine bay, with the box directly behind the coil pack and the tach adapters over to the right, just to the passenger side of the master cylinder. I will take pics and get them up asap.

Step 2: Cut and strip the wiring to the lengths that you'll need, giving yourself a few extra inches to allow for engine movement.

Step 3a:
Harness Side:
Engine Harness Color - Crane Color
Dark Blue/Tan - White
Dark Green/Orange - Red
Black/Gray - Green/White

Step3b:
Coil Pack Side:
Coil Pigtail Color - Crane Color
Dark Blue/Tan - Orange
Dark Green/Orange - Black wire AND Yellow Wire
Black/Gray - Purple

Step4: Tach Adapters
With the Crane box you ahve your options of either the Trigger box which makes this a direct plug and play installation, or 2 tach adapters.

The tach adapters wire in like this. Each has 2 wires, and they connect on the side coming from the Engine wiring harness.
Tach adapter 1 needs to hook up to the White wire and the Red wire ON THE CRANE HARNESS.
Tach adapter 2 needs to hook up to the Red wire and the Green/white wire ON THE CRANE HARNESS.

Step 5: The 2 Heavy wires, one red and one black, are as you probably guessed, your power and ground wires. I ran the red wire directly off of the Positive battery cable that runs to the Power Distribution Box under the hood, but you can run directly off the battery if you like.

The Black wire i ran directly to the cowling about 4" away from the box and affixed it in place with a 4x.7x15mm hex head screw, lockwasher and nut that i purchased at lowes. See the parts list for a complete listing of parts i purchased for this install.

The Brown wire coming off the crane is for the timing retard module.
The Yellow/white wire is the first step in the 2 step rev limiter. This needs to go to a 12v Momentary switch and from the switch to a 12v source. I ran it to the back of the interior fuse panel to fuse 10. the small Blue wire w/ white tracer.
The Orange/white is the second step in the 2step rev limiter. You can either use this or as I chose to, leave it hanging.

The green wire is the tach signal line, again, you can choose to hook up a tach or shiftlight, however i chose to leave my shiftlihgt hooked up to the stock wire.

Any questions, please feel free to PM me.

PARTS LIST:
2x 3prong Weatherpack Connector Sets(napa)
1x QuickSplice Connector(napa)
4x 4x.7x25MM Hex Head Capscrews with matching flatwashers and locknuts(box mounting)
4x 4x.7x15MM Hex Head Capscrews with matching LOCK washers and locknuts(Tach Adapter mounting and ignition ground)
1/2" and 3/8" split loom tubing for wrapping the wires. And corresponding electrical tape and zip ties.

2x Ring Connectors(power and ground)
1-4 but connectors, depending on which, if any wires you decide to use from the crane(2step, tach and retard)
12v Momentary switch and enough 18ga wire to reach where you need it to reach.

Good luck!
Infil <--click
AMSOIL, Technical Auto Group, S.I. J&V Tools
Fast Times Performance 2002 Subaru WRX 2.5, 11.936@113.18
95 All Motor Neon
13.958@96.99
SOHC - ALL MOTOR - STOCK BLOCK

neofreak
1GN Registrant

Post by neofreak » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:35 pm

any pics of this installed

BIGRAM
1GN Registrant

Post by BIGRAM » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:45 pm

and why ain't this in the how to section :D

neofreak
1GN Registrant

Post by neofreak » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:50 pm

anyone

Dennisc
1GN Registrant

Post by Dennisc » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:24 am

this is a pretty good post im about ready to do this.
if you aint first yer last
1999 Dodge Neon R/T ICEMAN,UDP,ATX TB,MPP PCM

ude lose
Fresh Fish

Post by ude lose » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:14 pm

I think the first post is very vague and would love to see some pics added. Does anyone else have any information reguarding this installation?

Dennisc
1GN Registrant

Post by Dennisc » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:57 pm

Welcome. Ill be doing this soon I will try to get a how-to video even made. I just gotta get some weather pack connectors.
if you aint first yer last
1999 Dodge Neon R/T ICEMAN,UDP,ATX TB,MPP PCM