How-To: Ghetto Blaster!

pHrEaK
1GN Registrant

How-To: Ghetto Blaster!

Post by pHrEaK » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 pm

Well due to the recent accumulations of freezing rain which we've received here, I've been pretty bored for the past couple of days (you can only slide around so many corners :roll: ), and have created a How-To for creating a "ghetto blaster". I constructed this in Fireworks so everything is in picture format. If anything is hard to read/ understand let me know!

pettersen
1GN Registrant

Post by pettersen » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:50 am

nice how,,, i can post some pics of my ghettoblaster build(not done yet)

uta_flyinghigh
1GN Registrant

Post by uta_flyinghigh » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:05 am

Nice and good illustrations. Now we need pics ;)

UTA

afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Post by afireinside4848 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:09 am

I can't wait to make one.

- Right now im pushing just a lil over 300 HP, thinking about upgrading turbo charger and putting a 6spd tranny in - LMFAO

- Only took 4 transmissions to make me relize I need to take it easy cause its just a neon -

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD
2.4L Turbo Project Neon Soon Under Way

Cokedoctor
1GN Registrant

Post by Cokedoctor » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:43 am

Im interested in seeing actual pictures of the build. It will clear up the foggy understanding how it goes together.
J.Marbs
'03 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport - New Daily
'95 Dodge Neon NYG ACR Coupe-1 of 98
'89 Toyota Supra Turbo
'88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
'87 Chrysler Conquest TSi

sohc98
1GN Registrant

Post by sohc98 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:26 am

Ive seen the term ghetto blaster used alot over on the other .org and only found out a few days ago what it was. I think I'm gonna have to try this with my extra manifold if i do do it i will take pictures of all the steps.

Just one question though, how long of a plenum would i need? I didn't see a length in their.

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:56 am

ok I've had a few Neons and modded most of them but I never understood this. What is the benefit of the shorter runners? Why not just keep them the stock length? I guess I'm just confused is all, I know it compares to the style of a sheet metal intake and such and is a hell of alot cheaper....but what xactly is the purpose/benefit of it?

99sport
1GN Registrant

Post by 99sport » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:29 pm

Archametes wrote:What is the benefit of the shorter runners?
my guess would be the incoming air can go strait in instead of going around the curve of the runners so there is a less chance of turbulence.(sp)

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:44 pm

Ok I can see where that could be a viable reason. Or in that respect have less room for travel and fill the chamber faster.....

-ed-
1GN Registrant

Post by -ed- » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:24 am

It's a matter of tube length not shape..

There's complex mathematics behind the following statements trust me:

I'll compare header lengths as most people are more familiar with them..

Basically, shorter tubes flow more air efficiently at HIGH RPMS. Some poorly designed short tube headers (EBAY!, Pacesetter, etc) do not hit their most efficient flow until about 10,000 RPMs. Much higher than what is useful. Long tube headers, in comparison, flow better at lower RPM's. For small engines putting out less cubic feet per minute (CFM) of exhaust gas than their larger counterparts - the long tube header is your best bet for most engine applications.

This theory is directly comparable to the ghetto blaster's short tube format. The biggest difference being the specification of being a short tube vs. a long tube is smaller (the length between the two is smaler)

FYI Intake Manifold tube length is measured from the base of the air filter all the way to the head and valves.

=====

I have a ghettoblaster installed on my car, it lives up to it's name- it looks like shit but it works pretty good. I lost a noticeable amount of torque off the line but I pull hard all the way to redline. In comparison to the stock manifold where I fall on my face at about 6K RPM.

-ed-
1GN Registrant

Post by -ed- » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:26 am

Here's a video of me installing my ghettoblaster and 60mm TB.

http://forum.1gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=96

Nice write up BTW! GHETTOBLASTERS WOOT!