update: anybdy out there?

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
Vinny
Administrator

update: anybdy out there?

Post by Vinny » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:20 pm

Ian asked how LA was in Tom's BBQ thread, didn't want to hijack....

LA is ok, haven't found any car shit to get into for a while, though I am getting excited for the huge JCCS classic Japanese car show in a few weeks, and you see tons of cool old rides daily on the street. I barely drive my car anymore, with gas and traffic it makes more sense to ride my fixie or this '81 Schwinn if I'm staying on the westside. As soon as I get a spot to wrench it'll get sold for an early A-body.

Aside from one or two SRTs I have not seen a single modded Neon since I have been in California, you barely see Neons at all, especially 1st gens. LX cars on the other hand are EVERYWHERE, you can barely turn around and not see a Charger, Challenger or 300 with 20"+ wheels, there's two murdered out Challengers just in my apt. complex.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:03 pm

1gn's are getting kinda rare around here too. Let's face it, the newest ones are 12 years old right now. The only people that really want them are enthusiasts. Still see a few SRT's floating around, there's a stone white 05 now where I live. Every day here is either lowered tC's or the normal bunch of BMW's Audi's etc.... but saw a Lexus LFA the other day.
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

Gim H3ll
1GN Registrant

Post by Gim H3ll » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:00 pm

I have 2 neons 1st gen and idk im trying to fix them both up and possible get rid of one and out here in Ohio i pass probably 6-10 neons every day spilt between 1st gen and second but not a single SRT4 :(
1998 4dr SOHC neon Iceman intake

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:25 pm

im from just south of sandusky ohio. i have 2 1gn's a 96 coupe, and a 97 sedan. there both here at college with me though in lima ohio. but its good to see another neon enthousiest from northern ohio. maybe we can meet up some time. im done with college in november.

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:58 pm

Eh the neon scene is pretty dead in the tri-state area...now MN and PA on the other hand.
-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, Flame Red, DOHC MTX, Goodies, "Christine X2"

-Neon #6 95 NYG sport coupe SOHC MTX, 1 0f only 527
jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:59 pm

Back in Cincinnati I saw ratty 1st and 2nd gens all the time, I do see some 2nd gens out here, most are fairly clean.

Its strange seeing clean examples of crap cars that long ago all went to boneyards in the midwest, preserved 1980s GM stuff for instance, '50s pickups still being used as work trucks... One day I saw 3 Karmann Ghia's within 5 minutes, on a weekday. There's a lot of difference in regional buying taste, more European cars, and a lot higher percentage of even just slightly modified cars, wheels, tint, it really is more ingrained into normal peoples lives here, oddly enough.

In my area BMWs and Range Rovers are highly prevalent, and of course LX cars and newer Mustangs.

Motorcycles lane-split here, you'll be sitting in traffic on the highway and all of a sudden GRRRRWOOSH a V-twin sport bike blasts past between you and the car in the next lane. I don't blame them for having helmet laws if they're gonna allow that shit.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

Gim H3ll
1GN Registrant

Post by Gim H3ll » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:23 pm

Im actually gonna get a bike soon probably a Ducati. and in ohio u only really see the Jap bikes splitting lanes or driving by doing a wheelie . and yea we can meet up some time im directly between cleveland and akron.

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:37 am

ok cool, i dont know how much there is to do there so maybe we will meet halfway or something i dont know lol.

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:47 pm

When I said motorcycles lane-split, I mean they do it legally. It's also a mandatory helmet state. I'm surprised you don't see more bikes and scooters here than you do.

Its also not a bad city to bicycle in, i rarely drive unless I'm leaving the westside of town.

I made a post on Facebook about it a while back, but those of you in the midwest and northeast who think their roads are too shitty to have have a slammed car, that only people in the south and west coast can get away with it, I have to say the roads here are very bit as bad if not worse. I scrape more here than I ever did in Ohio, and even straight up high-centered it pulling out a liquor store driveway in San Diego yesterday, almost thought we'd have to push it of, lost traction, didn't even look that bad.

Gim H3ll
1GN Registrant

Post by Gim H3ll » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:15 pm

thats something idk if ima do. lowering a car is cool and all but with how i drive i dont wanna mess up the underside by passing ppl and hitting pot holes. and i am more into the way my car handles and going fast then how it looks.

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:04 pm

I understand the function over form argument, surely, but you mention being into "going fast" yet you drive a stock SOHC Neon. I drive a slow Neon too so I'm not trying to rag on you, just sayin'...

Cornering capability is great, but how much do you need? I have Konis and big sways, etc. and have never even come close to the limits of my car's handling. (Stock seats are once again my car's cornering limitation.)

But this isn't a form/function debate, its commentary on how people in the midwest/northeast commonly seem to think you can only get away with having a slammed car in the south/warmer climates/etc.. Roads here IMO are not any better overall than they are in back in SW Ohio where I lived the previous 10+ years, in fact in ways they are worse.

But this is all coming from someone who hopes to soon ditch the Neon with Konis for a big, slammed (as much as you can on torsion bars anyways) Barracuda or Valiant.

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:30 pm

slammed barracuda? thats the wrong way!! need more high!
-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, Flame Red, DOHC MTX, Goodies, "Christine X2"

-Neon #6 95 NYG sport coupe SOHC MTX, 1 0f only 527
jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

Gim H3ll
1GN Registrant

Post by Gim H3ll » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:05 pm

I agree with u vinny this isnt a debate and yes i drive stock but i still pass almost every car on the high way with how i drive.

and im actually looking into a cuda myself or a late 60s really early 70s charger.