20 June 2001

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
Vinny
Administrator

20 June 2001

Post by Vinny » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:43 am

I completely forgot, it just occurred to me that it has now been 10 years since I bought my first Neon, a flame red 1998 SOHC MTX w/ 60k miles. I paid $5400 for it at Jeff Wyler Kia (on rt 4 for you Cincy folks), $1k down and a ridiculous high-interest loan for the rest since I had no credit.

Ended up selling the car to my buddy Ian (Speed Kills) in 2004 after buying my '97 ACR. I put 50k miles on it 3 years, and the orig non-MLS HG lasted til 125k.

I thought I had a stock pic of it hosted, but apparently not.

And this chapter of my life will soon close as i already have the cash for a new car once I get settled and find a permanent home, no plans to buy a Neon (or any other fwd car) unless I decide to go road racing on the cheap.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:04 pm

The neon world will miss you bud.
-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, Flame Red, DOHC MTX, Goodies, "Christine X2"

-Neon #6 95 NYG sport coupe SOHC MTX, 1 0f only 527
jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:59 pm

Wow, 10 years is a long time, bud. I bet there were plenty of mistakes, and teachings, and plenty of memories throughout the years. You might get the racing bug again, it happens. Or at least the building bug. What cars are you looking into?

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:14 pm

Can't really blame you for moving on.... gets kinda depressing when you see more of the car you drive in the junkyards than on the streets. Think the Alpine will be the last one for me also. Might keep it and make it a dedicated track car if I ever have a decent career and a house again.

Thinking of finally getting that scooby or a RWD import again? LS swapped 240sx or RX7?

As long as it's not another AE86 :D .

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:28 pm

That's true, Jon. I think this neon that I have now will be the only 1gn I'll ever own. There's no aftermarket support for it anymore, parts are hard to come by, etc. LS swapped 240 sounds fun =)

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:11 am

Guess you better move on to subarus like ever other former neon owner...
-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, Flame Red, DOHC MTX, Goodies, "Christine X2"

-Neon #6 95 NYG sport coupe SOHC MTX, 1 0f only 527
jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:53 pm

I'll definitely get into racing again, I just have no desire to do anything with fwd cars again, not even daily drivers. I'd consider a ready-to-race 1st gen track car to get into it on a budget, but that's it.

The biggest mistake I learned with these cars isn't Neon specific: Not using AN fittings on turbo oil feed lines. I wasn't cheaping out, I was simply unaware of available options for adapting stainless hard-line to AN.

Next car will depend on which state I end up in. If I stay in CA I will be looking at Dart/Valiant wagon, early Barracuda, Datsun 510 wagon, Corolla wagon and VW squareback. If I end up moving to Florida cross off the squareback and replace it with Nissan S13, WRX wagon or Volvo 240/740 wagon (for LS swap). I'm really not too interested in Subaru, not into AWD but I do want a wagon. Actually I don't want a wagon, I feel I need one. I would rather be looking at something like a Miata, S2000, E36 M3 or 350x/G35, but can't hang with the lack of cargo room. Once I get back to where 2 vehicles is feasible I'll get a sports car and a small truck.

No LS swaps here in CA. :(
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:07 pm

BTW I'd totally get another AE86. It just wouldn't be NA, preferably non-4AGE powered, purists be damned.

jamieely
1GN Registrant

Post by jamieely » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:40 pm

Ianguilly wrote:Guess you better move on to subarus like ever other former neon owner...
I moved from Subarus to Neons :lol: On my way back though. I have almost had my 1st gen for 10 years and the neon scene is dead around here and I need something with a more active group that I don't have to drive 10-15 hours away just to hang out with other owners, but I will keep the neon until it dies because I do love my neon, and I plan to get back into autocrossing soon. I go to fewer and fewer every year and that's no fun. Good luck with whatever car you do end up with next. I have only seen pics of a few of your cars and they were all really sharp cars.
1995 Highline Coupe SOHC MTX.
DOHC Mopar PCM
e85, 30lb injectors, LM-1, SAFC
Custom CAI, 60mm MPx TB, AMM Box Intake, DOHC pistons, built4race UDP
PT Clutch, 3.94 FD
AF/X LTH, High Flow Cat, Spiral Flow, 2.5" piping, Flowmaster 80 series

P&P Magnum head, Crane springs, Crane 007, AEM 3-bolt cam gear almost ready to bolt on

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:49 am

metal_gear_jon wrote: gets kinda depressing when you see more of the car you drive in the junkyards than on the streets.
Here, I see plenty more Japanese cars (Civics, Eclipses, Accords, Corollas, etc) in the junk yards than neons...

I guess the only difference is that all those cars are still manufactured to this day. It really is sad.

Come to FL and do the LS swap 240. My best friend is going to be doing the same thing soon... He wants to do an Ls7... I havent seen that done in person. FL = No Emissions regulations. :D
boostless_98 wrote:I want to hear wat everyone has to say on the idea of right hand drive neon conversion. I know it can be gotten from australia.
Ianguilly wrote:Just drive from the passenger side.

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:31 pm

You're not far from where I would be in Florida too.

wickedgoodneon
1GN Registrant

Post by wickedgoodneon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:04 pm

I feel the getting out of neons too. I just sold all my parts and I am in the process of fixing up the coupe I bought to sell locally. I will however drive my plat sedan either till it dies or until I have the resources to buy another car. My current car plans are to buy a mid 90's work van or conversion van and convert it into a Camper and take some time next summer to cruise the states

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:27 pm

Just travel the country in your Neon, that's what I've done this year!