Buying a car

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.

Which one would you buy?

Evo VIII
33%
04 STi
33%
05 SRT-4 ACR
33%

Total votes: 9

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Buying a car

Post by Tyler » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:55 pm

All input is appreciated, most likely wont change my mind but its always good to hear opinions. I will get my LPN after spring quarter and am buying a car. In all reality I have it narrowed to one of 3 cars.

Evo8
04 STi
05 SRT ACR

Now, I have the SRT bottom of my list. Even since I was younger Ive lover Evo's and STi's and imo there isnt a reason not to love them. They price the same, so it comes down to preference. The SRt is slightly cheaper but nothing drastic. Give me your opinions, Im on the fence and will be until I test drive them and look around more but its good to hear.

A good vid I found.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioNjbsjA ... r_embedded

Last edited by Tyler on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

mahifish
1GN Registrant

Post by mahifish » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:11 pm

I was supposed to look at a White 05 ACR SRT4 this last weekend. When I got to the dealership it was gone. I had money in hand and everything I was so pissed, because Im not just buying a regular srt.

If you cant fund an ACR go with the STI. Adjustable DCCD FTW, and they sound pretty sick with a bump in boost and and exhaust. Plus too many fags own EVOS

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:50 pm

Forget them all. Go Euro! You can probably pick up something like a BMW M3 or an Audi S4 for a similar price.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:29 pm

I dunno about the BMW route, I like Audi but you cannot work on either at all. I have a place in my heart for the SRT, and the ACR would be icing on the cake. To me the Evo and STi are drivers cars. Mean as hell, decently fast and handle very well. It will all depend on the deals I can find and such.

As far as douche bags drive Evo's, that can be said about neons too so that doesnt matter to me cuz I dont consider myself a douche bag.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:50 pm

A far as I look at prices online, the SRT is by far the cheapest and better deal. But, the STi isnt too bad. The Evo's are overpriced for sure, all of them Im finding are modded at least some and are around $22-25k. The STi's Im finding are $18k, so thats a big difference for sure so far.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

racer12306
Administrator

Post by racer12306 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:55 pm

How are the transfer cases (or whatever they call them on AWD cars) and rear differentials holding up?

Are there any major issues with them?

What kind of mileage are you looking at on these cars?

Personally I'd be wary of a 4 or 5 year old turbo car with unknown history.
Please PM or email me if you see any issues with the site.

racer12306@2gn.org

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:18 pm

racer12306 wrote:How are the transfer cases (or whatever they call them on AWD cars) and rear differentials holding up?

Are there any major issues with them?

What kind of mileage are you looking at on these cars?

Personally I'd be wary of a 4 or 5 year old turbo car with unknown history.
Im researching reliability on them. The problem is gonna be finding an unmolested one. Mileage, I think 40k or below is reasonable and findable. So far Im just looking but Id love to own one of these 2 cars, may be better deals out there but man it would be a blast!
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

mahifish
1GN Registrant

Post by mahifish » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:51 pm

I know evo's have some problems with transfer cases.

Mustang Drivers = Evo drivers where I live atleast. a whole bunch of rich high schoolers drive them around here and its annoying as hell. Always revving at me and shit.

bone-yard-racing
1GN Registrant

Post by bone-yard-racing » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:57 pm

Tyler wrote:I dunno about the BMW route, I like Audi but you cannot work on either at all. I have a place in my heart for the SRT, and the ACR would be icing on the cake. To me the Evo and STi are drivers cars. Mean as hell, decently fast and handle very well. It will all depend on the deals I can find and such.

As far as douche bags drive Evo's, that can be said about neons too so that doesnt matter to me cuz I dont consider myself a douche bag.
Drivers cars dont have computers to save your ass when you do something stupid. Just throwing this out there check some early 90's supercars out they are about evo/sti money and just so pretty.
1996 Dodge Neon sdn: Eugene ACR clone magnifyed... Blown up waiting on a 2.4
1995 Plymouth Sport sdn: Harold DOHC swap FSP/TTE/PTE #327
2004 neon R/T: Bolt on DD

www.boneyardracing.com

srt4eh
1GN Registrant

Post by srt4eh » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:58 pm

Take the sti! you won't regret it....
98 Neon R/T, 00 Neon, 06 Jeep GC SRT-8

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:05 pm

bone-yard-racing wrote:
Tyler wrote:I dunno about the BMW route, I like Audi but you cannot work on either at all. I have a place in my heart for the SRT, and the ACR would be icing on the cake. To me the Evo and STi are drivers cars. Mean as hell, decently fast and handle very well. It will all depend on the deals I can find and such.

Drivers cars dont have computers to save your ass when you do something stupid. Just throwing this out there check some early 90's supercars out they are about evo/sti money and just so pretty.
I get what ya mean completely, but I can imagine they are kickass to drive. They wud be a car that I wuold want to hit a curvy road and drive for hours just for fun. Hell I enjoy driving curvy roads in my neon everyday and get into it.

The STi looks to be the front runner right now. Cheaper than Evo, Ive been reading so many pros>cons with them as well. I cant wait to test drive!
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:45 pm

While it has the advantages of AWD, better handling, and better looks, I've heard the STI's have problems when you start really making power, such as stripping gears. Most of the SRT parts seem to be fairly bulletproof in comparison. That being said; if you have the coin not only to pay the initial cost of the STI, but to pay more for modifications and more parts that you'll need to upgrade, then I would go for that.

As much as I love Neons and SRT's, the biggest advantage of them is that you can't beat them for the money. If you have the money for something else, then it's not too hard to do better.

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:32 pm

I went with Evo. I've never driven (or so much as sat in) either an Evo or STi, and the STi would be my pick since I have always liked the Subies, but the STis aren't quite as fast and have reliability problems from everything I have heard. Too many people around here have sold their STis for Evos and felt they made the right move.

An E36 M3 would be on the top of my list in that price range too.

SRTs are cool but I would never consider owning one.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:02 pm

Each car is going to have their own unique problems. No car is flawless.

A friend of mine is a Subaru tech, and I have heard him mention problems with the STi's trans. One major disadvantage of the Subaru is that boxer engines are a little harder to work on, especially if you have no experience with them.

The EVO's AWD system is a common Haldex system used in many cars. The cars I work on everyday (Volvo's) use this system as well, and I have seen almost no problems with it. Downside to the EVO is that they're way over-priced.

A lot of the problems with these cars is that half of them on the road probably have over 350whp. This puts a lot of stress on factory parts, and is probably the number one reason why they break.

As for the SRT-4, I don't even consider it to be in the same class as the EVO and STi. Its probably a fun car to drive, but without an AWD system it just cant compete. FWD FTL. Imagine what a car it would have been if Chrysler incorporated an AWD system into it. It would also have been about $10k more.

I would probably choose the EVO over the STi simply because I like the EVO's interior better. Other than that, I think both cars have plenty of potential.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:16 pm

DOHCRT wrote:Each car is going to have their own unique problems. No car is flawless.

A friend of mine is a Subaru tech, and I have heard him mention problems with the STi's trans. One major disadvantage of the Subaru is that boxer engines are a little harder to work on, especially if you have no experience with them.

The EVO's AWD system is a common Haldex system used in many cars. The cars I work on everyday (Volvo's) use this system as well, and I have seen almost no problems with it. Downside to the EVO is that they're way over-priced.

A lot of the problems with these cars is that half of them on the road probably have over 350whp. This puts a lot of stress on factory parts, and is probably the number one reason why they break.

As for the SRT-4, I don't even consider it to be in the same class as the EVO and STi. Its probably a fun car to drive, but without an AWD system it just cant compete. FWD FTL. Imagine what a car it would have been if Chrysler incorporated an AWD system into it. It would also have been about $10k more.

I would probably choose the EVO over the STi simply because I like the EVO's interior better. Other than that, I think both cars have plenty of potential.
Thanks! I dont consider the SRT in the same class, thats why its an option tho. If I dont end up with either the evo or sti for whatever reason the srt will be the next best bang for the buck that I like.

The more info I know the better, so I appreciate this post along with Vinnys. The AWD systems are my min concern with reliablity. I love the Evos, but the price tag is crazy for an 04. The STi's seem to be a solid 4-5k cheaper on average as Ive found.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'