RIP: Sport Compact Car Magazine

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:39 am

Wow I didn't realize Project Car was that bad, I only flipped through one.

Modified was awesome when it first came out. They did an introductory free subscription thing that I signed up for on the internet on a whim, I got the first three issues at once and they kept sending them to me for like two years, up until they went monthly. A soon as it went monthly it went downhill.

Magazines are on the verge of extinction, especially ones that aren't marketed towards older folks who are less likely to use computers as much. I say even big players like Hot Rod and Road & Track will be gone within 10 years, at least in traditional print form.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

sohc98
1GN Registrant

Post by sohc98 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:46 am

I still read modified every once in a while, i find it to be the best magazine of its kind in my area but i signed up for a trial issue of grass roots so ill see how that is and go from their.
mahifish wrote:Teddy ruxpin was that bear that would read to you when you shoved a cassette tape in his ass

vielecustoms
1GN Registrant

Post by vielecustoms » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:57 am

Long Post..

I thought Project Car was decent, I liked the junkyard turbo build a few issues back but they do lack making connections, like tuning the car to run well with the turbo and make power. I like how they tend to use more popular and affordable cars. I think that's where most automotive magazines are going down. not everybody can go out and blow $30K or $40K on a car than dump another $20k into mods. I was flipping through an old Hot Rod with a "budget" engine build for like $5K not including the price of the crate engine. My Idea for a budget build would be like $2,500 including the price of the car. I like how the $200X challenge in Grassroots Motor sports works.

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:33 pm

If you join NASA ( National Auto Sport Association ) for $40 you also get a year subscripton to Grassroots Motorsports for free. Which IMO is a great deal and is less than SCCA. Plus in Grassroots,around this time of year, they give you a neat calendar that features most of the past year's winners every month. Back on SCC, did anybody notice that Coleman's article has been missing the last few months...
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

bone-yard-racing
1GN Registrant

Post by bone-yard-racing » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:48 pm

Technobabble has been gone for at least a year now. Stump the geek just answered questions that technobabble did years earlier.
1996 Dodge Neon sdn: Eugene ACR clone magnifyed... Blown up waiting on a 2.4
1995 Plymouth Sport sdn: Harold DOHC swap FSP/TTE/PTE #327
2004 neon R/T: Bolt on DD

www.boneyardracing.com

JaxMadine
1GN Registrant

Post by JaxMadine » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:24 pm

I am now sad tonight, I loved getting some scc when I needed some good bathroom material.
I cant read grassroots, cuz I know too many people on the staff, and its just hard reading the material and not being able to go down and help them work on the projects.

wickedgoodneon
1GN Registrant

Post by wickedgoodneon » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:34 am

Project car is only in like it 7th issue. If you would read them they talk about future upgrades on their cars. They start off showing you basic upgrades then I assume they will eventually bring back the cars and continue to upgrade them. Look at project black flag, thats a bad sentra

99sport
1GN Registrant

Post by 99sport » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:03 pm

well i just got my trial issue of grassroots it and i have to say, i like it way better then any ther mag i have gotten b4. it even has a 5 page artical about this guy who turned his 95 NYG into a rallycross car

vielecustoms
1GN Registrant

Post by vielecustoms » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:13 am

metal_gear_jon wrote:If you join NASA ( National Auto Sport Association ) for $40 you also get a year subscripton to Grassroots Motorsports for free. Which IMO is a great deal and is less than SCCA. Plus in Grassroots,around this time of year, they give you a neat calendar that features most of the past year's winners every month. Back on SCC, did anybody notice that Coleman's article has been missing the last few months...
that sounds good, but NASA is pretty much non existant in my area. (closest events are like 3 - 4 hours away) SCCA has a few diffrent events in the area (Solo, Rallycross and a few track events)

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:04 pm

1999420a wrote:well i just got my trial issue of grassroots it and i have to say, i like it way better then any ther mag i have gotten b4. it even has a 5 page artical about this guy who turned his 95 NYG into a rallycross car
i got mine too. i saw the sticky on the org an ordered it asap! it even came with a sweet calander! 8) i havent read it much as ive been busy but from the glancing i did i liked how it looked
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

99sport
1GN Registrant

Post by 99sport » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:04 am

ok for some reason grassroots sent me another issue for free. its a different issue then the one they sent me b4, and yes, it was free, it had a paper on it that said enjoy your free issue, just like the first one, but hey, im not complaining, its a really good mag.

JaxMadine
1GN Registrant

Post by JaxMadine » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:01 pm

GR sent me three free issues in total, to of GRM, and one of classic car. I find classic car to be more enjoyable to read.

Stags
1GN Registrant

Post by Stags » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:20 pm

1999420a wrote:ok for some reason grassroots sent me another issue for free. its a different issue then the one they sent me b4, and yes, it was free, it had a paper on it that said enjoy your free issue, just like the first one, but hey, im not complaining, its a really good mag.
Same here, I was thinking I was the only one.
1996 ACR Coupe-The Race Car
1999 R/T-The Daily Driver
Mopar Header,Mopar Perf. PCM, Mopar X-High Rates, Iceman CAI, ATX TB, Boogers, Edelbrock SDT Muffler, AFX FMM
1998 Sport Coupe-Project Car- Awaiting Power

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:23 pm

Also forgot that "Turbo" is a goner too now. Not that I would miss it like I would with SCC. Turbo got too glitzy near the end, just like "Import Tuner" is now.
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

Stags
1GN Registrant

Post by Stags » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:33 pm

I got a letter saying that the march issue will be the last one for scc, and that my subscription will be finished by modified...works for me...
1996 ACR Coupe-The Race Car
1999 R/T-The Daily Driver
Mopar Header,Mopar Perf. PCM, Mopar X-High Rates, Iceman CAI, ATX TB, Boogers, Edelbrock SDT Muffler, AFX FMM
1998 Sport Coupe-Project Car- Awaiting Power