RIP: Sport Compact Car Magazine

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
Vinny
Administrator

RIP: Sport Compact Car Magazine

Post by Vinny » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:24 pm

I just read that February will be the last issue of Sport Compact Car Magazine. All 115 employees have been laid off.

I haven't bought one in a couple years, and it had definitely declined in quality recently, but it was vital in my interest in hopping up FWD shitboxes.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

racer12306
Administrator

Post by racer12306 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:37 pm

The saddest part of your entire post is that 115 people are now without a job.
Please PM or email me if you see any issues with the site.

racer12306@2gn.org

Stags
1GN Registrant

Post by Stags » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:35 pm

I just renewed my subscription too...gay
1996 ACR Coupe-The Race Car
1999 R/T-The Daily Driver
Mopar Header,Mopar Perf. PCM, Mopar X-High Rates, Iceman CAI, ATX TB, Boogers, Edelbrock SDT Muffler, AFX FMM
1998 Sport Coupe-Project Car- Awaiting Power

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:39 pm

Call and get your money back!
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:44 pm

Holy shit...that sucks.

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

bone-yard-racing
1GN Registrant

Post by bone-yard-racing » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:22 pm

Another publisher will pick the title up mostly for USCC. Either that or they can send me project SRT-4 to finish off.
1996 Dodge Neon sdn: Eugene ACR clone magnifyed... Blown up waiting on a 2.4
1995 Plymouth Sport sdn: Harold DOHC swap FSP/TTE/PTE #327
2004 neon R/T: Bolt on DD

www.boneyardracing.com

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:33 pm

What a shame, but it has been slowly going downhill since Josh Jacquot left as editor a few years ago. Now I guess I'm down to Grassroots Motorsports and Car Craft. :(
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Re: RIP: Sport Compact Car Magazine

Post by DOHCRT » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:35 pm

Vinny wrote:it was vital in my interest in hopping up FWD shitboxes.
:lol:
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:59 am

Anyone ever check out a mag called something like "Project Car"? I saw it on the newsstand and flipped through it and it seemed like a import/sport compact version of Car Craft, almost exclusively tech articles and down-n-dirty cars instead of trailer queens.

That was one of my major problems with where SCC ended up, most of the cars they featured the last couple years were higher-dollar sports and GT cars. I'm sorry but Supras, S2000s, NSXs, Skylines and even 240s are NOT sport compacts.

99sport
1GN Registrant

Post by 99sport » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:46 am

i bought like 3 issues of project car. it is a pretty decent magazine. they "build" the cars on a budget, usually less then 5 grand. i say "build" cause the most they have ever done that i have read was a cam and valvetrain in an integra, usually its just fixing up the body and interior, and putting on an intake and exhaust. but it usually has different techniques of welding stuff together and how to pull dents out and putting body kits on and making them fit perfect.

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:22 am

That's a step in the right direction, I always thought that there needed to be an import/SC equivalent to Car Craft, since the roots of sport compacts lie in being a broke dick :)

suave23
1GN Registrant

Post by suave23 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:33 am

That sucks!

I also have never had a subscription or anything, but occassionally when I'm on a road trip and bored I'll buy a copy to read through.

Maybe keep an eye out for a liquidation of their projects?
2003 Cobra 10th Anniversary - CAI, MAF, Exhaust, Pulley, and tune

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:42 am

A lot of their projects were owned by staff members and various people, and others were actually loaned by the manufacturer (project WRX for instance). Their project 1st gen was owned by the wife/gf of a staff member IIRC.

A lot of magazine project cars are that way.

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:21 pm

Vinny wrote:Anyone ever check out a mag called something like "Project Car"? I saw it on the newsstand and flipped through it and it seemed like a import/sport compact version of Car Craft, almost exclusively tech articles and down-n-dirty cars instead of trailer queens.

That was one of my major problems with where SCC ended up, most of the cars they featured the last couple years were higher-dollar sports and GT cars. I'm sorry but Supras, S2000s, NSXs, Skylines and even 240s are NOT sport compacts.

"Project Car" is from the guys at "Super Street" which Imao is the equivalent to dog vomit. Some of the stuff in "Project" is ok but some of it is for light-weights like shift knob how to's and 1000 watt head light bulb installs. But they did do a good Miata project a few issues back. Now "Modified Mag" is nice but it too has some high dollar cars in it also. One of the former guys at SCC goes by "eyesoreracing" on ebay and that's where project SE-R was sold.
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

bone-yard-racing
1GN Registrant

Post by bone-yard-racing » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:44 pm

eyesore is Coleman. Project car and its mentality is the reason the sport compact world gets almost no respect "lets just bolt this exhaust on and all will be well" I understand that that does it for some people but if that is all tuning involved I wouldnt be doing it at all.
Anyone looking for a great car mag:
www.grassrootsmotorsports.com
1996 Dodge Neon sdn: Eugene ACR clone magnifyed... Blown up waiting on a 2.4
1995 Plymouth Sport sdn: Harold DOHC swap FSP/TTE/PTE #327
2004 neon R/T: Bolt on DD

www.boneyardracing.com