Really thinking about a Street Bike....

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
Tyler
1GN Registrant

Really thinking about a Street Bike....

Post by Tyler » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:52 pm

Anyone have one? I know Vinny was thinking about it, but dont think you ever got one. Im thinking about something a little older, like 95-2000 bikes. Want a 600, not a 250 fan and noway am I gettnig on an 1100! :shock:

I found a 95 Katana near me forsale and am looking into it. What kind of prices for bike insurance? Liability is what I would get, and how hard is the license test if youve ever taken it?

Would save me a ton of money in gas and would be fun as hell!
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:06 pm

Yeah I never found anything I liked in my price range, started focusing on getting a new daily.

Look into this for getting your license, my brother did it having never ridden AT ALL and got his license first try. They get filled up quick though so you have to schedule early, I'm hoping to take mine in Oct. and then be ready to buy something first thing spring '09.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/brc.htm
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:17 pm

My aunt took that course, had a good time, passed, and thought it was easy. Im thinking about it, but how difficult it the actual DMV test I wonder....
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:23 pm

That class gives you your motorcycle endorsement, when you pass the BRC you take the paper they give you to the DMV and they simply add the endorsement.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:34 pm

Vinny wrote:That class gives you your motorcycle endorsement, when you pass the BRC you take the paper they give you to the DMV and they simply add the endorsement.
I know that, but you can just take the DMV test instead of taking that class.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

mahifish
1GN Registrant

Post by mahifish » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:56 pm

Tyler, I would REALLY suggest an R6. They are awesome bikes. You can find them decently priced also. I wish I would of never got rid of mine. Here is WI, you can go to the DMV and take a written test for your temps and then renew them 3 times, which means your good for 6 years! Thats what I did, But Im going to take my test next month.

BlueR/T
1GN Registrant

Post by BlueR/T » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:02 pm

look up insurance quotes before you buy, if you are male 16-24, and your buying a sport bike(crotch rocket) you are gonna pay out the ass for insurance

i was going to buy a brand new Suzuki B-King, until progressive quoted me $11,000 a year for basic insurance :shock: , and its a Naked, not even a sport bike

even used bikes can get you on insurance, you may want to go even older and get an 80's bike

I have a 1987 Yamaha FZX700 FAZER
its a 700cc and for its time is fast as hell, and its a Naked, so it makes insurance cheaper( $158 a year), and cops look the other way

vielecustoms
1GN Registrant

Post by vielecustoms » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:33 pm

on the insurance, if you have an older bike, liability only otherwise expensive as hell or insurable. I have a 89 zx 10 I'm 22 and pay about $100 a year through Progressive

as for the size of the bike that depends on experience and how big you are.. I started on a 600 but it felt way too small (I'm 5 11 and 300 lbs) so I got the zx 10, the older style is more like what a sport touring is now...

oh yeah and for saving a ton on gas... that depends on the bike and you mine's worse than my car

heres what mine looks like (not mine but exactly the same)

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:06 pm

Im just trying to find something cheap, fun, and reliable. Im not gonna be doing tricks or acting real stupid on it. Im gonna check my insurance for rates, but I do plan to get my permit and keep them for while. But I dont think you can ride on highways with Temps and I want to ride to school.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:25 pm

Im currently emailing a guy about an 01 Kaw ZX600R. He only wants $2900, but seems liget.....He sent me info, a ton of pics like I asked but we'll see where this goes.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:16 pm

awesome i say get one! but i have a feeling you'll want to do tricks eventually!
what about the 2.4 swap!? i saw finish that first!
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

1fast2liter
1GN Registrant

Post by 1fast2liter » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:26 am

mahifish wrote:Tyler, I would REALLY suggest an R6. They are awesome bikes. You can find them decently priced also. I wish I would of never got rid of mine. Here is WI, you can go to the DMV and take a written test for your temps and then renew them 3 times, which means your good for 6 years! Thats what I did, But Im going to take my test next month.

not sure were you get that from. your temps only last 6 months you get them up to 4 times but the 4th time you need proof your in a cycle program.

the class is easy and i suggest you take it. it makes begniners riders and seasoned riders better. the road test is usally done with 2 way radios and a chase car telling you what to do. a u turn or fiure 8 no feet down ruffly 2 lane road wide. do a stop going 25mph in 25ft or less with out locking up the wheels. and usally the cone weave. but all places are different.

i ride a 2002 fully custom harley bored to 1242cc's and all the good stuff. not a begginer bike at all. get somthing you feel comfortable with and somthing that will satisfy you for a bit. i get 55 miles to the gallon hwy and ruffly 44 city all on about 90 whp.

a pic of my bike.

96 blue coupe sold
96 white 4 door sold
95 blue sport parted out
97 straberrie red coupe sold
95 black base parted out

current drivers
97 dodge ram 1500 5.9 ext cab sport fire engine red. tinted windows cat back exhaust suer chips tune, 1 mephis audio sub

90 audi 80. 400 miles to the tank
2002 custom sportster 90 whp and quick too

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:28 pm

I've had funds laid down for a bike for sometime now, but i can't stop spending it on photo equipment.
I've just dropped 2 grand on new photo equipment in the last month and spent another 100 last night.
And the neon goes into a shop for some fun on monday so there goes my other 1,000 for a bike.

I go out with my buddies old 82 honda 400cc and it's fun as fuck.

I would not get a katana you will regret it (not as in that you bought the bike but within months you will want to upgrade to something else), as it's like driving a tank ... they are heavy. (that was my first choice 3 years ago)
Good luck and I'll be jealous if you get one :(

And you ride a dirt bike, you will have no trouble in passing a motorcycle test; that is assuming you know how to obey the road laws.
If you get plpd insurance on a bike and pay with cash you can significantly reduce your payment amounts.
My buddy only paid i think it was 26 a month in cash for his insurance and he was mid 20s.

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:20 pm

I found a 95 Ninja ZX-6R, Im really getting serious about. $2800 and should be a blast!

I have to check insurance and get my dirtbike sold first though.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

1fast2liter
1GN Registrant

Post by 1fast2liter » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:17 pm

the only difference in a katana and gsxr are cams timimng and carbs the motors other wise are the exact same. they both weight about the same but with the added power the gsxr seems lighter.

96 blue coupe sold
96 white 4 door sold
95 blue sport parted out
97 straberrie red coupe sold
95 black base parted out

current drivers
97 dodge ram 1500 5.9 ext cab sport fire engine red. tinted windows cat back exhaust suer chips tune, 1 mephis audio sub

90 audi 80. 400 miles to the tank
2002 custom sportster 90 whp and quick too