Your Driving Skills on Ice and Snow

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
uta_flyinghigh
1GN Registrant

Your Driving Skills on Ice and Snow

Post by uta_flyinghigh » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:23 am

Please check the choice(s) that best describes your car driving skills on icy roads if any.

x The only ice I ever see is when or if I clean the far back of the fridge
x my insurance has been cancelled already so I really can't tell
x my partner actually does the all the difficult driving for me
x my wheels has like P,N,D,1,2 so there's no need for asking
x I have a preference for a certain lane on downhill roads
x I spinned once and I'll never try again
x I'm an excellent driver
x I have a team of mechanics work for me so go away

:lol:

UTA

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:26 am

I'm an excellent driver.

I've had a few close calls, but never had any incident caused by slippery conditions.

I wish the parking brake in my Neon worked while the car was rolling, I generally use it in deeper snow to help point the car where I want it when it understeers.

I miss driving a RWD car in the snow, my roommate will sometimes leave the house at 6:00am just to terrorize local parking lots in his Camaro.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

APN
1GN Registrant

Post by APN » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:59 am

Wouldn't say I'm excelent, but I'm a good driver.

Had a close call taking a turn at only 10 mph last night and had to pull the e-brake to turn. Almost ended up running into the light across from me.
APN wrote:
Jordan2.4 wrote:Apn...please make a new sig with pictures of your car CLEAN...i am tired of looking at the dirt...
That's called chipping paint son. Get some glasses. 8)

afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Post by afireinside4848 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:18 pm

Dont remember ever having a problem on ice or snow(Except once when I slide into a curb in a parking lot,but I was stupid enough to drift at an angle and was unexperienced). When I'm purposly sliding on it I can always control it.Its good to anticipate ahead when driving in bad weather so your ready, people don't relize how something can go wrong in an instant.Especially those AWD assholes.

- Right now im pushing just a lil over 300 HP, thinking about upgrading turbo charger and putting a 6spd tranny in - LMFAO

- Only took 4 transmissions to make me relize I need to take it easy cause its just a neon -

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD
2.4L Turbo Project Neon Soon Under Way

mahifish
1GN Registrant

Post by mahifish » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:12 pm

I would say I am an excellent driver in the snow/ice. I actually took my road test in a snow storm when I was 16!!! Some people hate driving in the snow here, but I love it! I've had one close call in the snow. I ripped the e-brake at 75 mph in the industrial park just to see how many 360's I could do. I ended up doing 2 1/2 before I had to correct myself so I didnt hit a semi parked on the side of the road.

superD
1GN Registrant

Post by superD » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:17 pm

x The only ice I ever see is when or if I clean the far back of the fridge
1995 4 door mtx with 96 cam. Booger bushings
1999 turbo coupe putting 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag
stuff for sale, MTX swap
Talk of ATXs is prohibited on neons.org, it is blasphemy and will invoke the wrath of the MTX elitests.
superD member #3

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:24 pm

hit a curb once but nothing happened.. i dont really drive recklessly in the snow much anymore.. out grew that this winter (my first winter driving too!) but i still go to the empty parking lots on occasion.. wet dirt roads suck tho :lol: i have a thread in here about that if you want more details
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Post by afireinside4848 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:57 pm

O now that I think about it my drifting venture not too long ago threw me into two curbs,once of which knocked of my side skirt,but its a step up from last winter when slamming a curb broke the wheel off.

- Right now im pushing just a lil over 300 HP, thinking about upgrading turbo charger and putting a 6spd tranny in - LMFAO

- Only took 4 transmissions to make me relize I need to take it easy cause its just a neon -

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD

uta_flyinghigh
1GN Registrant

Post by uta_flyinghigh » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:12 am

That's what I miss from Canada, taking the beater out in an empty parking lot on Sunday morning ;)

UTA

afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Post by afireinside4848 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:06 pm

Eh, I Do it on the streets.(Carefully lo)l

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD

uta_flyinghigh
1GN Registrant

Post by uta_flyinghigh » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:23 pm

Carefully into the curb ouai :-)

UTA

XCLR8TN
1GN Registrant

Post by XCLR8TN » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:54 pm

Vinny wrote:I wish the parking brake in my Neon worked while the car was rolling, I generally use it in deeper snow to help point the car where I want it when it understeers.
DITTO.
Vinny wrote:I miss driving a RWD car in the snow, my roommate will sometimes leave the house at 6:00am just to terrorize local parking lots in his Camaro.
Eek, I almost died in my MIATA last time I went out. Summer tires + winter = no no haha.

chipdogg
1GN Registrant

Post by chipdogg » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:52 pm

I'm pretty good in ice/snow. From northern Wisconsin and drove in blizzards before no problem, only went in ditch once lol.

Almost smoked a truck on Saturday though. Roads were dry and good for a while, then we got dumped with 2 inches in 20 minutes and I neglected to slow down cuz I could handle it. Traffic went from 70 mph down to ~35 mph on the freeway in less than 1/4 mile. Truck changed lanes in front of me, I hit the brakes and locked them up. Wasn't gonna slow down in time at all so I cranked wheel to left, and barely missed the truck. Pointed me right into the median, going sideways. Cranked back to right, straightened it out, and continued on my way. :lol:

Only time I have trouble is when other idiots decide to pull out in front of me or lose it going 10 mph on a barely snowy road.
'97 black ACR coupe- #3 - Scrappy
'96 black coupe- #4
'97 magenta coupe- #10 - 13.379 @ 101.07 mph
'04 SXT mtx - #45 - GF's DD
'96 ACR
'95 Astro Van
'11 Chevy Express
'02 atx - #48
'98 Intense Blue R/T - #49
'04 SRT-4 - #50
'99 Intense Blue R/T - #51

52 and counting, when will it stop?

Stags
1GN Registrant

Post by Stags » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:32 am

I'd say I'm a pretty good driver. I've yet to have an accident or get a ticket. Wisconsin winters are fun as Chip said.
1996 ACR Coupe-The Race Car
1999 R/T-The Daily Driver
Mopar Header,Mopar Perf. PCM, Mopar X-High Rates, Iceman CAI, ATX TB, Boogers, Edelbrock SDT Muffler, AFX FMM
1998 Sport Coupe-Project Car- Awaiting Power

chipdogg
1GN Registrant

Post by chipdogg » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:49 pm

Just the other day at work, the parking lot was icy and I was fucking around. Came down a hill with an S-curve and e-braked it. First time I did it, I ended up bumper first into the snow bank and got stuck for a little bit, no harm done though that bumper was already fucked up.

2nd time I tried, I got sideways to the right and got it turned all the way back around to the left and just about made it into the employee parking lot, but not quite, bumper bumped the curb. Oh well, threw it in reverse, spun it back around and threw it into D (yay autos) and got going, e-braked and spun around the island and nearly parked it perfectly into an open spot, but had to back up and straighten it out.

Got out, dumb bitch from the appliance department says "having trouble driving???"

I responded "Hell no, that shit is fun. I love icy parking lots and hand brakes." :lol:
'97 black ACR coupe- #3 - Scrappy
'96 black coupe- #4
'97 magenta coupe- #10 - 13.379 @ 101.07 mph
'04 SXT mtx - #45 - GF's DD
'96 ACR
'95 Astro Van
'11 Chevy Express
'02 atx - #48
'98 Intense Blue R/T - #49
'04 SRT-4 - #50
'99 Intense Blue R/T - #51

52 and counting, when will it stop?