98 PGT

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
northern
1GN Registrant

98 PGT

Post by northern » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:31 pm

Figured I should/would start a log on my latest project.

This is what she looked like when I first pick her up from the original Owner's Grand Daughter.

The glove box housed many treasures, from the original purchase papers, the ordering of the roof rack, even its first timing belt and head job, along with the window sticker.

The poor thing could barely run, missing on a cylinder, oil fill spark plug tubes, dead battery, busted up t-stat housing, stripped out T-stat bolt holes, but that was the least of the worries

I pulled the valve cover to correct the tube seal, and found this..

Needless to say, the rocker bolt hole was stripped
So the new head that the Original owner had put on it with less then 1200 miles is no good.

but its all good, The local wrecking yard had a 98 head for 125.
Also happen to find a 05 SXT with some rather nice seats :wink:

they need some good cleaning but I walked away with the front and rear seats along with the head for 250.

This past Sunday I decided to replace the head, and all went well.
Tho she still has a rough idle, and a little boggy from idle, but smooths out and is very responsive above 1500 rpms.
the head is from a 98, but the cam is a 95, and I installed the adjustable cam gear.
I also installed the cluster w/tack along with the 2G seats.

I ordered some NGK V-powers to replace the crapions and will be cleaning up the T-Body here soon.
The motor mounts are shot, so I order all three and the Energy inserts.

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Sweet, nice start. Cant' wait to see what you do with this thing.

northern
1GN Registrant

Post by northern » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:52 pm

The energy inserts are here, they should be installed this weekend with the alarm/remote start and central power lock system.
Also got a set of the ram head keys 8)

On a side note, the last time I got the inserts it was for my 99, and I got three packets, each mount insert in a single packet, and there wasnt a option for firm or soft, lol

The package that came in today that holds all the inserts is roughly a 4x4x5 box, and its a soft kit.

figured I would try the soft's first, if I don't like them ill get a set of firms and put these in the FS section.

northern
1GN Registrant

Post by northern » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:55 pm

more updates.

Remote start and key less entry systems where installed, and a small issue with the locks blowing the lock and unlock fuses, but got that part figured out.

Also installed the energy motor mount inserts.

I wasn't to keen on the stock blown speakers that didn't work at all, so I when to Wally-World and picked up a full set of door speakers and rear deck speakers. Put those in the same day I did the door lock actuators. Also put in the old Sony Explode head unit from my truck, but I think its having issues, it says Failure and the left front dash and door speakers stop working. looks like ill be looking for another head unit soon.

All replaced...

I ordered a cluster bezel and a reverse glo overlay for the tack cluster and when i got the overlay it was damaged, they sent me another one free of charge and I recently installed the overlay along with the bezel..

I will be making the fog/def switches overlays white along with the HVAC and Shifter overlays. I'll have to scourer the NA archives for the files but I have them somewhere from when I did the 99.
The switches are already been converted to blue/red LEDs, ill be converting the HVAC and Shifter soon.

Oh and I cant forget I found a set of tail lights... I backed them and now they are open, ill be painting them to match the car and led halo lighting in them. Ive got the 5mm 15000mlc clear/red leds and 8mm acrylic rods, just need the time to get working on it.

FER24NEON
1GN Registrant

Post by FER24NEON » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:12 am

Nice! i like that cluster.
1996 Neon 2.4 swap
1981 Chevy C10 355

ricker91878
1GN Registrant

Post by ricker91878 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:24 am

You have any trouble with the overlay? I put a new one in mine and the needles kept catching redid the tape a few timea and finally gave up.
99 2 dr R/T DOHC coupe, all the bells and whistles...

northern
1GN Registrant

Post by northern » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:56 am

No problems with the overlay and no sticky needles.
I never used tape, Ive always used contact cement.
Less gaps and such.

Also added alittle color.

FER24NEON
1GN Registrant

Post by FER24NEON » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:02 am

Where did you get the cluster overlay? and does the overlay make it light up like that?
1996 Neon 2.4 swap
1981 Chevy C10 355

ricker91878
1GN Registrant

Post by ricker91878 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:26 pm

You can find them on ebay for around $20 and they are made with the blue lighting it comes with a small relay box you just wire it in with your parking lights.
99 2 dr R/T DOHC coupe, all the bells and whistles...

northern
1GN Registrant

Post by northern » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:25 pm

Like ricker said you can get the reverse glow gauges overlay from ebay for just over $20, its a pain in the but to put on if you never done one, but if you have a few under your belt then its super easy.

I have another one, but it is cosmetically defective after it was shipped to me.

FER24NEON
1GN Registrant

Post by FER24NEON » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:32 am

Ahh ok. I might have to try that.

There is a guy on a local Neon forum that makes overlays and the stuff to swap the tach and speedo positions.

I wanted to do that. but it's a bit more expensive.
1996 Neon 2.4 swap
1981 Chevy C10 355

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:18 pm

northern wrote:more updates.

I ordered a cluster bezel and a reverse glo overlay for the tack cluster and when i got the overlay it was damaged, they sent me another one free of charge and I recently installed the overlay along with the bezel..

I will be making the fog/def switches overlays white along with the HVAC and Shifter overlays. I'll have to scourer the NA archives for the files but I have them somewhere from when I did the 99.
The switches are already been converted to blue/red LEDs, ill be converting the HVAC and Shifter soon.

not sure how the whole overlay thing works but i just want to know how to make my stock gauges light up in l.e.d. being it blue or another color. i havent decided which one yet lol

northern
1GN Registrant

Post by northern » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:49 pm

FER24NEON wrote:Ahh ok. I might have to try that.

There is a guy on a local Neon forum that makes overlays and the stuff to swap the tach and speedo positions.

I wanted to do that. but it's a bit more expensive.
I have a how to in my archives on switching the tach and speedo.

northern
1GN Registrant

Post by northern » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:06 pm

08kgraves wrote: not sure how the whole overlay thing works but i just want to know how to make my stock gauges light up in l.e.d. being it blue or another color. i havent decided which one yet lol

You can order LED replacements (any color from super led) for 194/164 bulbs and place them in the back of your cluster, youll need to get the bulb inserts sense you current bulb holders do not have clips in them to make contact to the bulbs (the OEM's are tacked into place).

The overlay is a reverse indigo. it two thin foil strips with a gap of conductive liquid that energizes at 6V to 9V, its far from a LED.

As for the switches you can unsolder the old Orange LED and then solder in a new led for the "ON" LED, but you have to cut the bulb out for the light and solder in a led with the correct resister for the lights.

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:20 pm

i found the big detailed how to over on the big forum. but i do thank you for the reply :)