M62 Blower Kit<----2 semi cool vids.....

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
1fast2liter
1GN Registrant

Post by 1fast2liter » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:16 pm

dude i think you did a good job on it. i know some one else did the kit but it still takes mechanical skill to reasemble it.

96 blue coupe sold
96 white 4 door sold
95 blue sport parted out
97 straberrie red coupe sold
95 black base parted out

current drivers
97 dodge ram 1500 5.9 ext cab sport fire engine red. tinted windows cat back exhaust suer chips tune, 1 mephis audio sub

90 audi 80. 400 miles to the tank
2002 custom sportster 90 whp and quick too

6(sic)6
1GN Registrant

Post by 6(sic)6 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:04 am

^Thanks

Unfortunitly I dont think I will be seeing the track any time soon. I had just replaced a window that had been broke out, I started the car up yesterday to make sure everything was straight before I drove it to get inspected and nearly shit my pants :cry:

Walked around front, poped the hood and saw what first looked like smoke comming out of the breather valve on the valve cover much to my dismay.

Smelled it, turns out its exhoust and is also comming out of my dipstick tube.

Checked compression

CYL #1 CYL#2 CYL#3 CYL#4
180psi 182psi 180psi :cry: 92psi :cry:

Rings have to be toast on #4 I dont really understand how about 30secounds of boost coukld have done this. The car has barely been drove.

Looks like Ill be saving up so I can buy yet more parts to get this pita neon back on the road.......
SuperCharged SOHC http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t ... highlight=
Samu wrote:If you get rid of your 1st gen it will be like the girl that got away. :cry:

1fast2liter
1GN Registrant

Post by 1fast2liter » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:26 pm

are you running stock internals on that?

96 blue coupe sold
96 white 4 door sold
95 blue sport parted out
95 black base parted out

current drivers
97 dodge ram 1500 5.9 ext cab sport fire engine red. tinted windows cat back exhaust suer chips tune, 1 mephis audio sub

6(sic)6
1GN Registrant

Post by 6(sic)6 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:06 pm

^ Yea, I knew the risks and was going to "baby" it untill I could save up for a built bottom end. I wasnt even sure about how much boost exactly this charger was going to make.

When sky was running it he only made 7psi but suspected a boost leak. I saw what was prob causing it when I bought the stuff and I drove it one damn time barely down my back alley witch must have resulted in dammageing #4. Iam pretty sure I was able to make roughly 14psi briefly.

Iam going to save up some cash, sell some things and build the motor up in the next comming months. I know what I want to do and Iam currently looking around for either used low comp pistons but id prefer an assembled block ready to drop in.

I thought those comp numbers on cyl 1-3 seemed good tho, I was surprised they were 180 ish....
Samu wrote:If you get rid of your 1st gen it will be like the girl that got away. :cry:

BIGRAM
1GN Registrant

Post by BIGRAM » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:17 am

egay gots pistons rings and rods for 750

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:59 am

I bet this makes you wan to just get rid of the car?

Been there done that and hate it when nothing goes right, but when you get it done and your driving it again the feeling of getting that job done is amazing.
Keep at it.

6(sic)6
1GN Registrant

Post by 6(sic)6 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:26 pm

Skill wrote:I bet this makes you wan to just get rid of the car?
Breifly ^

I Started the teardown today. Found out the car's timming belt and headgasket had been changed prior to me owning it. The water pump dosent seem to have an "play" or trouble turning although I still may change it anyhow.

Some pics....

I was surprised at hom "clean" the pistons and walls looked.
This was the cylinder in question

There may be a stuck exhoust valve on cyl 4 EDIT, no its not stuck
Last edited by 6(sic)6 on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

1fast2liter
1GN Registrant

Post by 1fast2liter » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:32 pm

screw it while your at it put some forged pistins and rods at stock compresion in it.

96 blue coupe sold
96 white 4 door sold
95 blue sport parted out
95 black base parted out

current drivers

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:13 pm

Yeah, but then he would have to take the crank out to have it re-balanced. If you don't want to do all that right know, I would at least pull the stock pistons and rods out and strengthen them.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

6(sic)6
1GN Registrant

Post by 6(sic)6 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:41 pm

1fast2liter wrote:screw it while your at it put some forged pistins and rods at stock compresion in it.
I actually have my fiance talked into letting me purchase some low comp pistons, and h-beam rods....

DOHCRT wrote:Yeah, but then he would have to take the crank out to have it re-balanced. If you don't want to do all that right know, I would at least pull the stock pistons and rods out and strengthen them.

Would that be a mandatory thing? I wanted to leave the block in the car along with the crank.

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:59 pm

Wow those pistons and walls are in excellent shape!

Looks like some just did a rebuild on it?
i also had no clue you were SOHC .. i guess i didn't bother to look :oops:

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:31 pm

6(sic)6 wrote:
DOHCRT wrote:Yeah, but then he would have to take the crank out to have it re-balanced. If you don't want to do all that right know, I would at least pull the stock pistons and rods out and strengthen them.

Would that be a mandatory thing? I wanted to leave the block in the car along with the crank.
Absolutely. You will ruin an engine if you don't re-balance the crank to the weight of the new rods and pistons. It will run, but it wont take long for the imbalance to cause the engine to shit the bed.

I could build a more durable engine with a stock bottom end that is perfectly balanced and blueprinted than an engine with forged internals that is out of balance.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

1fast2liter
1GN Registrant

Post by 1fast2liter » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:51 pm

balanceing is not a nesesity....... for a engine that is gonna hit high rpm's all the time ya i would sugest it. but for a dd car i would say not totally needed. but why'll your at it why not balance it and such. but then your gonna want to up the boost.

96 blue coupe sold
96 white 4 door sold
95 blue sport parted out
95 black base parted out

current drivers

6(sic)6
1GN Registrant

Post by 6(sic)6 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:14 am

Skill wrote:Wow those pistons and walls are in excellent shape!

Looks like some just did a rebuild on it?
i also had no clue you were SOHC .. i guess i didn't bother to look :oops:
Surprised me too! I think the guy I bought it from atleast did the t-belt and mls gasket job....

I guess Ill have to look into balancing,

Any chance my cyl#4 compression could be a H-gasket issue? There was no loss in cyl#3, and I dont think my oils "frothy" you can see in the pics how green the coolent is as-well.

If the crankcase got exhoust fume comming out it, (dipstick tube) its got to be rings rite? and in the cyl with the least compression?

Heres the gasket that came off it, Felpro MLS
This is what was surrounding cyl#4
Last edited by 6(sic)6 on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:18 am

1fast2liter wrote:balanceing is not a nesesity....... for a engine that is gonna hit high rpm's all the time ya i would sugest it. but for a dd car i would say not totally needed. but why'll your at it why not balance it and such. but then your gonna want to up the boost.
Balancing not a necessity? Who fed you that line of crap? I don't care what kind of engine it is or what its used for. It has to be appropriately balanced.

Let me give you an example. If you have an ounce of weight just one inch from the centerline of the crank, it will create an outward force of around 7 ounces at 500 RPM. At 5000 RPM, that same weight will produce around 45 lbs of force. How do you think the main bearings would feel about that? Do you consider 5000 RPM high? I don't. A bone stock SOHC revs out to 6500.

Add all that imbalance and then throw on an under drive pulley that cant absorb torsional vibrations or harmonic imbalance. Set the rev limiter to 3000 RPM.

Project Log