Project Slimer, new owner......

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:25 pm

INVUJerry wrote:Wow man, your trap speeds need to be higher. Did you ever fix the cam alignment? I think that could be off. How many PSI are you running right now?

6 pounds with low 10 afr's in boost. I normally shoot for high 11's, but had to disconect the battery that day, so I didn't give the car enough time to re-learn it's short and long term fuel trims. When it was perfect, it was pulling 25% long term and 5-8% short with 37lbs injectors at 14 psi of fuel at idle. It usually re-learns within a few hour or so trips around work and on the highway.

On top of that, I didn't feel like screwing with the rate of gain after a few weeks of driving to get it right. It's not the daily right now b/c of the tires, so it's only driven an hour or two after work to play around with it.

Intake cam alignment was fixed awhile back. Don't really know why it's 1/4 times are so off , other than the crap driver and tires.

Just got back from vacation yesterday, so god knows if it still starts. It's been sitting since the 8th.
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Damn pos, went to work today to see if it still runs, rear drum on the driver side is locked up! Plus, it's making some nasty metal sounds. Now I remember why I hate drum brakes. Will have to rip it apart tomorrow.

Also the discovered the reason my alt belt shredded.
The nut that holds the adjuster and the top of the alternator to the side bracket is MIA. That thing must have been wobbling like crazy before it shredded.

Now I know it hates me, or I'm a really bad hack.
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:33 pm

Judging by my ride in it the car is capable of much better times, keep trying you'll get there.

I am always willing to offer my services as a driver. :)
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:08 pm

Vinny wrote:Judging by my ride in it the car is capable of much better times, keep trying you'll get there.

I am always willing to offer my services as a driver. :)
Yes, having someone that knows what they are doing instead of me would help greatly! Do you charge per run or by the hour :D .

But anyway, pulled the driver drum this morning. The lining completely separated from both shoe assemblies. Looks like they were bouncing around in there for some time. Damn bonded shoes. Good thing the drums didn't take a beating. Did both sides and good as new. Drove it home for the first time in two weeks. The rainstorms around 7pm showed me how bad the tires are now.

Still deciding whether to upgrade to 15's or just buy new tires only for the 14's. I still like the 14's, but decent tires in that size are harder to come by lately.
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:49 pm

Well it's been running now for about 2 months now (still surprised) and no coolant or oil leaks. The oil that was comming out of the compressor inlet has stopped now. Maybe was from high loads/stress from the track, who knows. A co-worker gave me a old MBC and now currently running 7 psi on a better tune. Part throttle boost is still a problem, basically have to remember to mash the pedal to pass on the highway, or you can feel the car stumble and knock.

Tossed on another set of used 14 inch tires. More tread than the old, but should get me around for awhile before I decide on wheels.
Still didn't get an intake or finished the pcv system. It's set up now like the factory, but not good under boost.

Getting ready for the Nats and TomZ's. May or may not get a promotion at work, we'll see. Swapped a flowmaster exhaust from one H3 to another Saturday for the son of my boss. Also exchanged radios, Theftlock is ghey, but Tech2's are easy to use.

Now some pics.....

Notice the mild wire tuck.

How to get a Dohc under a Sohc hood.
2.4, good luck.
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:02 pm

Very nice, are just holding off on a Dohc hood? and you still rolling with sport wheels?
-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, Flame Red, DOHC MTX, Goodies, "Christine X2"

-Neon #6 95 NYG sport coupe SOHC MTX, 1 0f only 527
jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:18 pm

I had a power bulge hood on the old sport (which was a sohc) ,would be necessary with a 2.4, but I like the sleeper look of the standard.

And yes, those are the sport alloys that came off the above mentioned car. Tire sizes/brands are limited for the 14"s, 15 inchers would open up many possibilities.
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:51 pm

So are u gonna take it to the strip at the nationals? or go easy on it.

jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:22 pm

Easy does it.

I wouldn't pay $65 for a day of going down the track at the nats with this car. If it did 12's and better, maybe but not at it's current state.

It will look just fine sitting in the grassy field next door though. :D
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:59 pm

Mini Update:

Now running 10 PSI for a few weeks now, no problems yet.

More importantly though, I've been searching for a SRT shifter for awhile now to do the swap with. Came across one on Ebay, bid and won it. When it arrived, I was kinda disapointed, boot was very dirty, shift ball was worn off. Then noticed something, this thing looked modded into a short throw. Looked like Maddog's (Chuck's) work but wasn't sure.

A few pm's later and cleaning off the base, Chuck comfirmed it, a "58-4" #364 originally sent for a SRT down in Florida back in '05. Makes sense because the seller was a dismantler out of Orlando, so I'm guessing that car is long gone now.

Anyway, installed and with a repainted shift ball. Looks tits....the 58% reduction is nice.

^ Not mine...

Have a lol

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Looks sexy Jon! you ever gonna put a radio in? and is that 3 floor mats on top of each other :lol:

INVUJerry
1GN Registrant

Post by INVUJerry » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:33 pm

TAN INTERIOR?!

Shifter looks good though.
2005 Neon SXT Black - SOLD
1998 Neon Coupe - SOLD
2004 Neon SRT-4 - 13.9@102
1995 Neon ACR NYG Sedan - 12.5:1 SOHC coming
1996 ACR Sedan - Koni yellows, stock as hell
Free Philly

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:07 pm

Ianguilly wrote:Looks sexy Jon! you ever gonna put a radio in? and is that 3 floor mats on top of each other :lol:
Radio no, uneeded distraction, heck, even sold the speakers I had in the thing.

As for the mats, Black Intrepid mats over the ones that came in the old '95. Had this setup for years, started doing it with the old beater when I used to work in the shop. Grease, oil, etc, looked like crap on the tan mats. Which leads to.....
INVUJerry wrote: TAN INTERIOR?!
Yea, I know, don't like it either. Dark Agate would look great with the green, time will tell.

Thinking suspension/wheels will be next on the to-do list. Still need a bracket for the r/t sway that's sitting in storage. Plus coil-overs and better struts would be nice.
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:08 am

Coil-overs+ dark agate+ alpine green= Sexy DD

wickedgoodneon
1GN Registrant

Post by wickedgoodneon » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:28 pm

You all are crazy. I LOVE the tan interior!