Project: fix core support hole

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
XCLR8TN
1GN Registrant

Project: fix core support hole

Post by XCLR8TN » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:35 pm

I don't know where to put this. It's not anything engine/drivetrain related nor exterior lol. It's not a how to and it's not really a project.... but I'll stick it in here anyways. Mods, feel free to move it to where you want.

So a little while after picking up my 95, I noticed a nice hole in the radiator support, right next to the motor mount. I couldn't do much at the time and I drove it through that winter. Well, I stuck my hand up in there and removed some rust and realized the hole was much bigger than it looked from the top. I figured I needed to do something about it before this winter.

Here's what I did...... the stock metal is about .040" thick, 2 layers of it there. My dad had legs from an old saw laying around, and they just happened to be the EXACT same angle of the rad support (it's NOT 90* like you'd think). They are each .060" thick. We welded 2 gussets in as you can see, also.

We drilled some holes in them, and cut the required slot out for where the FMM goes. The holes were used to weld thru to the stock rad support and then we also used two additional bolts on either side of the piece with nice big washers on top (not pictured).

What you see on it is just yellowish clear rust proofing, not paint.

Just figured I'd share what I did in case anyone else had the same issue. It can be fixed. :D
fusion210: Everytime I ride in a car you're driving I try to make it the last time. D: