Xano's fun machine project log.

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
XanoKais
1GN Registrant

Xano's fun machine project log.

Post by XanoKais » Wed May 13, 2009 4:37 am

Well basically, I finally talked the girlfriend into letting me mess with her car. I personally drive a 1988 Nissan 200sx SEV6 (VG30E engine from the 1st gen 300zx, rear wheel drive, 5 spd, welded rear differential).

Her car however, is a 1996 Plymouth Neon Expresso. SOHC engine, Automatic transmission, 2 door coupe model.

Its got some issues.
1. The fuel economy is HORRIBLE. It gets about 110-130 miles on a tank.
2. The white paint is flaking off, which is rediculously common with certain Neons for some reason.
3. Its got some rusted underbody areas, but its all surface flaking so far, so its fixable with a wire brush, some rust to basecoat stuff, and some underbody coating.
4. The brakes are real squishy, which is odd, because it just got new rear lines, cylinders, shoes, and drums.
5. The exhaust is rusted out.
6. The transmission doesn't like to shift. When its cold, it will rev to the moon for ALMOST 4 full seconds between shifting.
7. It throws an EGR code (though i wonder if this is due to the huge exhaust leak.)
7. Its got a SOHC and an automatic. (personal opinion though, shes not big on loads of power or anything.

My plans.
1. Fix current running and transmission issues.
2. Paint it Flat black, with a flat purple hood. (I'm big on flat colors)
3. Get good headlights and some non-rice, but alternative taillights.
4. Get cheap suspension goodies.
5. Get cheap exhaust headers and re-do the rest from the headers back.
6. Replace interior carpet and seats, but keep the same gray scheme.
7. Get decent rims, not real special, just alloys or machined that look nicer than stock steelies. These I'll probably get from a junkyard, off a FWD car with similar offset. Too bad you really cant do dished with fwd =(.

~xano

cars:
Girlfriends: 1996 Plymouth Neon Expresso (A588 2.0L, Auto) [Constant project to make her happy...]
Mine: 1988 Nissan 200SX SEV6 (VG30E 3.0L, 5 speed) [rally build coming up soon]

XanoKais
1GN Registrant

Post by XanoKais » Wed May 13, 2009 4:39 am

Painted her the way the GF wants today.

~xano

cars:
Girlfriends: 1996 Plymouth Neon Expresso (A588 2.0L, Auto) [Constant project to make her happy...]

98neon_r/t
1GN Registrant

Post by 98neon_r/t » Wed May 13, 2009 8:42 am

I would run to maaco with $250 and get it done....better? I wouldn't say right for a $250 paint job but it'll look a little better...and I think they'll do flat colors. Just don't half ass things like the exhaust or anything because the end result will not be pleasant :) I've learned...trust me

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Wed May 13, 2009 9:34 pm

If that's what she wants, then it's fine. I like the colour scheme, but I'm just kind of over flat black. I used to love it, but I'm just tired of it now.

I hope it turns out how you and your gf wants it to, looks like you've got a plan for it. Have fun with it!

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

XanoKais
1GN Registrant

Post by XanoKais » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:53 am

Not much of an update, my 200sx's clutch slave went out, so we took this baby on a road trip. It made it 700 miles round trip without issues, which suprised her, but I figured it was reliable, since it really doesn't have that many issues.

Since its been painted, we've gotten quite a few positive comments on the paintjob, believe it or not. I know I really didnt try too hard on it =P.

The girlfriend is happy with it, she just wishes it had better gas mileage. We found out highway is fine at 28 mpg, but city it gets 16 mpg....

I need to replace the steering wheel with something, the airbag doesn't work, and neither she nor I are big fans of airbags in the first place.

The exhaust will probably be a cheap header back setup, with an ebay header (dont worry, I know what I'm looking for quality wise to make sure its not gonna crack). She's been driving around with more or less open headers (not quite, its broken just under the shift lever).

OH, one thing I noticed, sometimes it does a weird thump thump thump thing when idling down. almost sounds like the piston is slapping around in the cylinder, but its from the back of the car?
~xano

cars:

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:35 am

XanoKais wrote: The girlfriend is happy with it, she just wishes it had better gas mileage. We found out highway is fine at 28 mpg, but city it gets 16 mpg....

The auto trans is killing gas milage.

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

INVUJerry
1GN Registrant

Post by INVUJerry » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:28 pm

OBX long tube header, is worth it. Then get one of the knock off "N1" catbacks, and you're good to go. The header has a 2.5" exit and turn down, and the n1 catback is 60MM or 2.36", which juuust fits inside the turn down of the header. Works awesome.
2005 Neon SXT Black - SOLD
1998 Neon Coupe - SOLD
2004 Neon SRT-4 - 13.9@102
1995 Neon ACR NYG Sedan - 12.5:1 SOHC coming
1996 ACR Sedan - Koni yellows, stock as hell
Free Philly

neon_freak
1GN Registrant

Post by neon_freak » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:04 pm

with the auto tranny you wont get much better
95 strawberry coupe mtx sohc

pacesetter header/catback, sts, boogers, 3.0, atx tb, ported intake, mp ecu, solid bobble strut, magnecor wires

98 white rt coupe mtx 2.4

mopar ecu, egr kit. ur street pulley, mpx 60mm, iceman, msd wires/coil, solid mounts, ractive header, vibrant muffler

old 2.0-145.4hp@6161rpm, 134.5tq@5218rpm

acrclonetrooper
1GN Registrant

Post by acrclonetrooper » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:45 pm

rattle can would look better with prep work and rustoleum rather than cheap paint. just as good as the 250 maaco atleast

XanoKais
1GN Registrant

Post by XanoKais » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:07 pm

INVUJerry wrote:OBX long tube header, is worth it. Then get one of the knock off "N1" catbacks, and you're good to go. The header has a 2.5" exit and turn down, and the n1 catback is 60MM or 2.36", which juuust fits inside the turn down of the header. Works awesome.
Thanks for that, a good plan of action right there. I may stay away from a bought catback, as theres some good, decent priced shops around here that we could have weld up a custom setup for about the price of a catback online.

I'm a fan of no cat, and we dont have any emissions checks here where I live, so it will probably get test piped.

Like I said, I wasnt TOO worried about prep work on the paint job, as I really didn't feel like sanding the entire car down to bare metal to fix the paint flake issue. To me, flat black is literally just a cover color, something screws up with it, you can buy a new can of flat black and literally just spray over the area with a quick wipedown to remove dirt before hand. OH and I did end up doing it partially with rustoleum, as the shit I originally bought had to be the worst damn paint I've ever used.

With the hood, I was again, not TOO worried, as I plan to change it to green, as she wants all her electronics to be pink (cell phone, computer, so on), and everything else she owns to be shades of green. (Shes a pain in my ass with that stuff haha, I'd rather everything be normal, my blackberry is silver, my laptop is brown and black, you get the picture)

I appreciate the info on the ATX tranny causing the gas mileage. That definitally sucks for her, cause she refuses to drive a manual. I love my 5 speed in my 200, cause I can drop it in 5th and cruise at 70 at 2100 rpms and get like 30+ mpg, city I usually average 22-24 mpg on that car though.
~xano

cars: